Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinker: Why The Twins Will Stink

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sinker: Why The Twins Will Stink

The Strib's Howard Sinker does a thought-by-though breakdown of the Twins. He's a little crabby:

Section 219: Breaking down the Twins (because someone asked me to do that) | StarTribune.com

On a yearly basis, many have written about how the promising youngsters in the Royals organization were finally going to end their more than quarter-century of postseason futility. Ever year, in talking about the upcoming season, I've been among those saying the Royals were going nowhere. Dermal (Dee) Brown? Luke Hochevar? Eric Hosmer? It's all well and good to hold out hope that reinforcements will soon turn around the Twins' fortunes. But I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, I'll try to use the phrase "Kansas City North" in describing the Twins as infrequently as possible.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    Can LoganJones ignore him...that's what I'm on the edge of my seat about.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Can LoganJones ignore him...that's what I'm on the edge of my seat about.
    Howard must not be too self aware :-)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I love reading Howard Sinker's stuff.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Yep, he's definitely right about this year. The Twins will be just as terrible as the past two seasons. I'm still pretty optimistic about the youngsters though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Yep, he's definitely right about this year. The Twins will be just as terrible as the past two seasons. I'm still pretty optimistic about the youngsters though.
    No! Sunshine and rainbows! Pots o gold and unicorns! No accepting the fact this currently constructed team has a snowball's chance in Hell of making the playoffs!!

it is a good article though, I agree.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    The Twins owe their Fans a much improved product. They gave very little effort in making it so.

Just two years ago, the Twins sold more tickets then twenty six other Teams.

How quickly they forget.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Dude has always been Mr negative and clearly is not a real fan. /s

Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am still holding on to a faint hope that the Twins will surprise everyone.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I am still holding on to a faint hope that the Twins will surprise everyone.
    Give it time, you are currently where Howard was just about two months ago...and birdwatcher was just a month ago...and where ol'nurse will be a month from now....

Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Give it time, you are currently where Howard was just about two months ago...and birdwatcher was just a month ago...and where ol'nurse will be a month from now....
    I concede that you are probably correct, but I am trying to enjoy the postseason for as long as possible until reality takes over in April. I am still harboring fantasies of Deduno winning game 7 of the 2013 World Series by striking out 10+ Dodgers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I concede that you are probably correct, but I am trying to enjoy the postseason for as long as possible until reality takes over in April. I am still harboring fantasies of Deduno winning game 7 of the 2013 World Series by striking out 10+ Dodgers.
    That's what the apologists doniti't seem to register. Baseball does have oodles of possible outcomes along the Bell Curve. I'm sure you've watched as much baseball as me, and every single year, there are multiple instances of witnessing events that you've never seen before. Deduno could easily be a one-year wonder who captures lightning in a bottle. RA Dickey was an afterthought to virtually the entire cast of MLB teams back in 2009 and now he's a Cy Young winner in his late 30s. If Deduno or Hendriks or, even Hermsen, for heaven' sake, somehow caught fire, the rankest cynics on TD would love to be completely wrong and they would be pulling just as hard as the apologists for a Worst-to-First run like 90-91.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 248 Times in 141 Posts
    Who here remembers 1982, and the surrounding years? Then you've seen this all before, and lived to tell the tale.

I had season tickets in the 90's when they were terrible and I will have season tickets again this year even though they are going to be terrible. Even though we won't be competitive there are still many things I look forward to watching and see develop. And if by some stroke of luck we do compete this year than it's a bonus for me.

I used to love reading Howard's articles and analysis. Not so much anymore. It's one thing to be unhappy about the state of the team. It's quite another to be bitter about it and draw a salary for putting that bitterness into print. One need not expect unicorns and rainbows in order to write thorough and personalized-yet-objective analysis about the strengths and opportunities of the ballclub, which is what the TwinsDaily chief writers demonstrate day in and day out. (And it's why this site is my go-to for information about the team - I've given up almost completely on the Strib).

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlambrecht View Post
    I used to love reading Howard's articles and analysis. Not so much anymore. It's one thing to be unhappy about the state of the team. It's quite another to be bitter about it and draw a salary for putting that bitterness into print. One need not expect unicorns and rainbows in order to write thorough and personalized-yet-objective analysis about the strengths and opportunities of the ballclub, which is what the TwinsDaily chief writers demonstrate day in and day out. (And it's why this site is my go-to for information about the team - I've given up almost completely on the Strib).
    Where was he not objective? I think you are expecting Unicorns because nothing Howard wrote is unobjective bitterness, it's the truth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlambrecht View Post
    'Startribune.com digital sports editor Howard Sinker used to cover the Twins and now shares season tickets with friends in Section 219 of Target Field. He blogs about baseball from the perspective of a long-time fan who loves the game, doesn’t always believe the hype and likes hearing what others think.'

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism.
    Spiro T. Agnew

Good job Howard staying in the long line of nattering nabobs! That is meant to be a compliment.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This team has hope, but it's a fair assessment to be upset (from a fan's perspective) about some decisions and what the fan base was fed. I think this team has a chance to contend, with a bunch of breaks, but it depends upon a lot of good breaks and statistical breaks (or suprise performances). It can be done, much like proclaiming "So you're saying there's a chance?"

Go Glunn/Go Twins!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Apparently, being more optimistic than the insufferable jokin means one is an "apologist". Even when, unlike jokin, one makes his case citing actual facts and logic rather than a bunch of blather that really isn't very clever.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast