Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 94

Thread: Sinker: Why The Twins Will Stink

  1. #61
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    This time of year it is about hope. All teams are tied, every one has the same chance to win the world series. There still is a flicker of hope. Two seasons of miserable performance (cumulatively the second worst back to back season in Twins' history by a single win) plus 21 since the last trophy, tends to make people less hopeful.

    And more and more people are having negative outlooks. At least more and more people are trying to look into root causes and try to see why things happen. This is a positive. I think that every single fan should want their team to win every single season. And if their team plainly sucks, they should be upset. And if their sucky team does nothing to improve, blames the last 2 seasons on Jerry and Stelly and the people who drove the team to this condition have no accountability, they should really be wondering about the direction this team is going...

    But there is still hope.
    Twins Win! (but otherwise TR, and Gardy and Andy and Co have to go)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  2. #62
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Well, the Twins could hire a leg-breaker, but I'm afraid that would push them over budget.
    What's Tonya Harding doing these days? She couldn't cost that much.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    871
    Like
    474
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Pssst dont be a Bogart , pass it =)
    Be specific, not snarky, johnny. It'll help you mature.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    871
    Like
    474
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    This time of year it is about hope. All teams are tied, every one has the same chance to win the world series. There still is a flicker of hope. Two seasons of miserable performance (cumulatively the second worst back to back season in Twins' history by a single win) plus 21 since the last trophy, tends to make people less hopeful.

    And more and more people are having negative outlooks. At least more and more people are trying to look into root causes and try to see why things happen. This is a positive. I think that every single fan should want their team to win every single season. And if their team plainly sucks, they should be upset. And if their sucky team does nothing to improve, blames the last 2 seasons on Jerry and Stelly and the people who drove the team to this condition have no accountability, they should really be wondering about the direction this team is going...

    But there is still hope.
    Twins Win! (but otherwise TR, and Gardy and Andy and Co have to go)
    Glad to see you've had a complete reversal, thrylos. Just months ago, you described the situation as a glass not half full, but shattered to pieces on the floor. Remember?

  5. #65
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Glad to see you've had a complete reversal, thrylos. Just months ago, you described the situation as a glass not half full, but shattered to pieces on the floor. Remember?
    I think that you missunderstood me.
    I am hopeful. I am always hopeful esp this time of the year.

    But

    the last 2 seasons were (as I said 3 posts up there) cumulatively the second worst back to back seasons in Twins' history by a single win. Then the cherry on top was blaming those to Jerry and Stelly (also mentioned above). Thus the glass not only half empty but "shattered to pieces".

    No reversal at all. Hopefulness for tomorrow and truthful assessment of yesterday (and today) can co-exist...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 02-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  6. #66
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    871
    Like
    474
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Apparently, a poster can't even find even one moment for a little levity. It must be sad to be you.

    For the record, I have submitted many posts citing actual facts and logic to project optimism when it's warranted- even you would have to admit that the opportunities to post in such a manner have been severely limited the last few years.

    To further that thought; I believe it was you who had faith that TR was going to take advantage of his experience and favorable payroll situation to make an offseason fix to the SP staff, similar to the fixes he employed to the RPs and field lineup in the 2011 offseason. You have gone on record on more than one occasion, stating that his efforts haven't met up to your expectations.
    Absolutely. I said I thought Ryan should, and probably would, add three SP that equalled or even exceeded the Diamond standard. I predicted one would come by trade (and Worley did) and two via FA (in my uninformed opinion, none of the FA acquisitions are better than Diamond). So, I've expressed my dissappointment, shared by most of us.

    So, because it was Pelfry and Correia instead of, say, McCarthy and Marcum, I've tempered my optimism. Are you OK with that, jokin, or do you want to continue to single me (and others) out when you comment in your customary derogatory tone?

    No need at all for you to feel sad for me, jokin.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that you missunderstood me.
    I am hopeful. I am always hopeful esp this time of the year.

    But

    the last 2 seasons were (as I said 3 posts up there) cumulatively the second worst back to back seasons in Twins' history by a single win. Then the cherry on the top was blaming those to Jerry and Stelly (also mentioned above). Thus the glass not only half empty but "shattered to pieces".

    No reversal at all. Hopefulness for tomorrow and truthful assessment of yesterday (and today) can co-exist...
    You reminded me of how I felt this time last season. And while I was still frustrated they cut payroll, I was far more hopeful than I am this season.

    The Twins had signed a two excellent hitters, a middle infielder who at least be solid, and Morneau and Mauer likely had to be more productive than they were the previous year. The pitching staff wasn't a big change, but Baker would be back in the rotation and hopefully Liriano could figure things out. Their back end of the rotation signing wasn't all that exciting but it was just the 5th starter. Capps was a frustration on many levels, but there was a back-up plan. Of course, we all know how the starting pitching went, but I had far more hope prior to last season than I do this, even though the team is bound to improve; it's sort of by default.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    871
    Like
    474
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    When were Stelmazek and White "blamed for anything, and by whom, thrylos?

    They weren't, that's when. And isn't it ironic, coming from you, that you're bitter about those two, but have been calling for the Twins to rid themselves of the old (literally meant by you) guys like Rantz and Gardy? Who's been any better at the blame game than you?

  9. #69
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    When were Stelmazek and White "blamed for anything, and by whom, thrylos?

    They weren't, that's when. And isn't it ironic, coming from you, that you're bitter about those two, but have been calling for the Twins to rid themselves of the old (literally meant by you) guys like Rantz and Gardy? Who's been any better at the blame game than you?
    Well, when guys get fired, generally it's because they weren't doing their job. Nobody else's heads rolled but Smith, so we can draw the conclusion that the failures of the the first base and bullpen coaches were the most unforgivable on-field sins from teams that sniffed 100 losses two years running.

  10. #70
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Anyone that has ever played baseball know that winning is contagious. So is being a fan. Losing destroys everything, it's unexceptable this year or any year. That is why being a Twins fan I expect the team to win this year, not maybe some year in the distance future I should know 52 years of being a Twins fan, and baseball fan is along time.. You know I will be cheering for every win again this year because it matters to me.

  11. #71
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Anyone that has ever played baseball know that winning is contagious.
    Anyone who has ever played baseball, or breathed oxygen, knows this is a completely meaningless statement.

  12. #72
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Anyone who has ever played baseball, or breathed oxygen, knows this is a completely meaningless statement.
    You learn that in little league, winning streaks losing, hitting, slumps, control a frame of mind. I say once you acquired that skill you own it. It's what makes you great.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    You learn that in little league, winning streaks losing, hitting, slumps, control a frame of mind. I say once you acquired that skill you own it. It's what makes you great.
    I've played baseball at every level from T-ball to three years of college ball. I coached everything from T-ball to Legion ball for ten years. I've obsessed over baseball since I could walk, mostly thanks to my grandfather, who played professionally back in the 40's. It's drivel.

    Talented teams win, bad teams don't. "Winning is contagious" just another mindless sound byte thrown out to try and sell hope for bad teams, when the actuality is this: winning is symptomatic of talent. I've played for and coached good teams, and I've played for and coached bad teams. Many of them were essentially the same teams, minus the turnover of a few players. When good players leave teams get worse, even if they won before. When good players get added to bad teams, they get better, even when they lost before. That isn't "winning" rubbing off, it's the effect of superior talent doing what it does, which is performing better. Baseball may have less "scheming" than any team sport, due to the mano-a-mano nature of it. No amount of success by the hitters around him will make Drew Butera hit better. Put Butera on the '29 Yankees and he's still one of the worst players ever to be paid to play the game of baseball. To genuinely think otherwise is simply foolish.

  14. #74
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,243
    Like
    106
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    When this thread reappears between the 2013 and 2014 seasons I wonder how much the comments will change? How many will have changed "sides"? Someone should keep track.

  15. #75
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes you do need talent, no question about that, but you need team work too. Talent brings team work and everyone better, Bad players just bring bad play and hopelessness. Talented teams don't always win The talent of Kirby Puckett & Jack Morris made everyone play better.

  16. #76
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    621
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Anyone who has ever played baseball, or breathed oxygen, knows this is a completely meaningless statement.
    As Lombardi, or was it Jery Kramer. said, Winning isn't the only thing but it sure in the hell beats whatever comes in second.

  17. #77
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Talented teams don't always win The talent of Kirby Puckett & Jack Morris made everyone play better.
    So it was Morris' amazing job on the mound that made the Twins play so awesome during game 7 that they needed 10 innings to score one run? Inspiring!!! Contagious!!!

  18. #78
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,738
    Like
    870
    Liked 851 Times in 547 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Absolutely. I said I thought Ryan should, and probably would, add three SP that equalled or even exceeded the Diamond standard. I predicted one would come by trade (and Worley did) and two via FA (in my uninformed opinion, none of the FA acquisitions are better than Diamond). So, I've expressed my dissappointment, shared by most of us.

    So, because it was Pelfry and Correia instead of, say, McCarthy and Marcum, I've tempered my optimism. Are you OK with that, jokin, or do you want to continue to single me (and others) out when you comment in your customary derogatory tone?

    No need at all for you to feel sad for me, jokin.
    Working from the backend of your post to the beginning:

    1) Not a "feeling" at all, just an observation.

    2) I'm not sure what is derogatory about placing you with the same sentiments as someone with as distinguished a baseball pedigree as Howard Sinker, and qualifies as singling out in a "customary derogatory tone." No need to attack when we've pretty much reached a general consensus on the offseason.

    2) We've all shared and expressed our hope and optimism about the early deals and our disappointment in the overall FAIL that was this offseason. The difference is, with no intent of self-back-slapping, there were many of the realists on TD who predicted it would be a FAIL, based on a simple examination of the evidence in how the Twins ownership and FO operated during past events and their most recent actions and statements.

    How many kept ranting that "TR won't let this team continue to be a bottom dweller", "trust in Terry to fix the rotation and right the ship", "only an $80-85M payroll in 2013? preposterous! TR would never do that!" ie, in response to the obvious trend that the Twins would continue to cut the payroll and pay lipservice to the concept of "fielding a darn good competitive team"- all this, despite having a future HOFer and a former MVP under contract in a brand new stadium that the paying public was assured meant a new day for the Twins to compete with the big boys? In the meantime, you will continue to attend cocktail parties with the Pohlad's and laugh from on high at the rest of the hoi-polloi who provide(d) the revenue to pay the team and build the stadium.


    3) The blame-shifting in the fake-firing-fiasco of Gardy's closest cronies and TR's failure to recognize available talent and value within his own specified paramters for acquisition and his most recent toss under the bus of his ML scouting staff regarding the Correia deal are further evidence that this FO group's time has passed.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-02-2013 at 01:37 AM.

  19. #79
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    The front office is actively sabotaging the team? Do you also believe that the moon landing was done in a studio in New Mexico?

    Your post is bad, and you should feel bad.
    Agent scott boras has suggested to more then 1 team to tank a season or 2 to improve there team ....
    also if you eliminate 33 million in payroll from your team over 2 years without having compitent replacements ready , what do you call it?
    Clearing a path way for guys 1-4 years away from joining the big team?

  20. #80
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Be specific, not snarky, johnny. It'll help you mature.
    If i mature any more ill be farting dust

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.