Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Marcum signing just got "cuirouser" and the Twins have some 'splainin' to do

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Option A: 31 teams foolishly choose not to risk four million (for a total of eight).
    Option B: There's legitimate concerns about Marcum's health.

Look, Marcum could very well have a healthy season, but it's clear that the general consensus among baseball FO's that Marcum is not worth the risk in salary. It's made clear by the contract he ended up signing.

While the Twins were well positioned to take this risk, they took other risks with Peflry and Harden; just because everyone's pet health risk went to another team doesn't mean that the Twins weren't already trying to buy low on players with health risks.

I just think the premise of thread is bunk and needlessly inflammatory.
    31 teams, did a couple of teams from japan pass on him also?

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Who is ignoring it? That very real possibility is why he was as available as he was for that price. It's huge risk....but it also comes with tremendously more upside than the deals we inked. I thought you understood all this already?
    personally i think Marcum at 1 year for 4 million is less risky then Correia at 2 years for 10 million

Banned All-Star
    Feel better?

Honestly, Smerf, it's hard for me to get worked up about this Marcum or Correia or Pelfry. When the Twins traded Span and Revere for Meyer, Mays, and Worley. That's ****ing LIGHT YEARS of progress to prior off-seasons. However distasteful lamely treading water is in 2013 and how cheap it is for management, I see a real legitimate shift in their pitching the philosophy. In some ways, this is an extension of what we saw in the draft, with more high-risk and high-velocity arms (maybe they'll even turn one of the bullpen arms into a starter, at least the approach is somewhat novel). The tone of your post just seems to miss the forest for the trees and unreasonably harsh.
    speaking of light years, what have they done for us this year??????? We acquired a pitcher on the D.L twice last year, a flop at AA and a single A pitcher....its not like we picked up a Cole , Bauer ,taillon or Bundy....i hope all 3 turn into the best starting rotation in baseball history ,but dont be surprised if it falls to the wayside ....

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Hard to say, but St. Peter and Ryan have acknowledged it and tried to tease a mid-season acquisition with it. (Which, to me, sounds a lot like more hope being sold ala pre-offseason talk) So seems pretty real to me.
    What is there a midseason free agency now? or are we going to acquire such a good player we are going to need an extra 20 million just to pay his salary for half a season? or are we just going to offer up moralas and 20 million for for king felix? please explain how we need to save 20 million for mid season trades?

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    It is hard to say. St Peter will say one thing, Ryan might say something a little different. St Peter says that Ryan has lattirude in signing players, Ryan has said that he has to run contracts past Pohlad. So I would think that if there is any payroll limit that it would come from Pohlad. Perhaps they all have profit sharing.
    More likely payroll slashing bonuses

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Because the contract tells us something that we didn't know before.
    So what does it tell? We have read for years from ryan that patience often pays-off when offering contracts to unsigned free agents as ST nears. Maybe teams just "waited-him-out"? Maybe he was trying to bluff other teams that the Twins were really interested in him--when they weren't interested in Marcum. He took the $4MM (plus $4MM more available in incentives) rather than wait for an offer that wasn't coming!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pursuing Correia over Marcum has always been a curious decision. This article with a few self-serving quotes from Marcum doesn't change anything or add to the conversation.

I'm a little surprised that it took Marcum this long to land a job, maybe concerns about his health are legit.

Still, at least with Marcum, we would at least have had a shot at getting a guy who could make a difference.

I hope to God he proves me wrong, but I have trouble seeing Correia becoming anything more than a marginal 5th starter.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789