Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Nishioka Among Twins Second Roster Cuts

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only cut that surprised me was Bates. Win Nishoka being where he needs to be, that opens 2 spots (I assume that Hughes and Plouffe are in) for the Bench. Given that Hughes can back up all infield positions other than SS, and Casilla can back up SS, it is not necessary that they get another middle infielder up North. I thought that Bates had a chance, but apparently the Twins feel like Morneau is fine.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's a novel idea - don't keep a third catcher. What's the worst thing that can happen? You have to sacrifice the DH spot for a couple of at-bats in a game if Mauer gets hurt and Doumit moves to catcher? (Gosh - you could even pinch hit in that situation for the pitcher, couldn't you?). Does this one possibility really justify carrying a stiff on the roster for 162 games?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't disagree, Teflon... could have a guy up from Rochester the next afternoon.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Here's a novel idea - don't keep a third catcher. What's the worst thing that can happen? You have to sacrifice the DH spot for a couple of at-bats in a game if Mauer gets hurt and Doumit moves to catcher? (Gosh - you could even pinch hit in that situation for the pitcher, couldn't you?). Does this one possibility really justify carrying a stiff on the roster for 162 games?
    I actually thought that would be the plan after signing Doumit. The very idea of having a 3rd Catcher sitting around game after game. Save that seat for someone who can do some real damage to the ball.
    I will be very annoyed if they keep on a 3rd Catcher.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I don't disagree, Teflon... could have a guy up from Rochester the next afternoon.
    Exactly. I think a bat like Parmelee's would be more valuable to the team than a third catcher. He can spell Morneau at 1B, DH, maybe even slip into RF for J-Willi from time to time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Another note for this point: Willingham entered the league as a catcher. They could move him behind the plate for a couple of innings if needed without losing the DH. If he starts putting the Catcher's gear on later in ST, that would be an indication that they will only have 2 catchers.
    -----

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    We'll see how Hollimon's playing time changes after this move. Thus far he's only gotten 15 AB all spring and I think he's only started once or twice -- that's just not the treatment you give to a guy you're taking a hard look at for a roster spot.

I maintain that the Twins might not take a true "utility guy" north. They've got some guys who can back up SS in a pinch, and could call someone up quickly in the event of an injury.

If they do bring a utility man north, there is some talk about Floriman getting into the mix for the utility spot. He has seen reasonable playing time of late.

Kudos to Mr. Ryan for making the right decision regarding Nishioka!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ryan said on the radio today that Plouffe wasn't a candidate to be backup SS. He said Plouffe could back up at 1B. He also said Plouffe had to make the team. Gladden basically asked Ryan if thought Nishioka could learn how to play big league SS in AAA if he couldn't in 2 ST and a full big league season. Ryan said he didn't expect anything but was hopeful.

No other questions were asked about the backup SS although Gladden said after Ryan left, that Ryan preferred Dozier to play everyday. Gladden speculated that Castilla could be the backup SS. Since Gladden said it, I would assume that won't happen but who knows.

Willingham - He has 15 MLB games as a catcher and none since 2006. I struggle to imagine the Twins asking the biggest free agent signing in their history and (by default) their most dangerous right handed bat to start catching games again at age 33, unless it's an absolute emergency (such as Doumit/Butera breaking his ankle and then Mauer getting Lyme Disease or something on the same night).

Nishioka - Well, it had to be done, and I can't say I expected them to do it, but it basically frees up a roster spot that was just going to be a dead bench spot for weeks or months otherwise. Look, at the end of the day, there was a lot of reason to believe this guy could have worked out. People blast the Twins for screwing this up, but there's just no way of knowing if a guy is going to go "Irabu" or not. Heck, had Nishioka even been as serviceable as Kaz Matsui during his Mets years, he probably could've kept his starting job on this roster. (Matsui was actually pretty good for Colorado, later on, he was just ALWAYS injured). Other teams have tried and whiffed on international prospects, even the really good teams...it was just a much more pronounced failure for this organization b/c they don't usually even try things like this.

I agree, and so do most fans, but Gardy is terrified of that. And the irony of it is that the 3rd catcher would be someone like Butera and the Twins have probably had pitchers (Santana comes to mind) that were better hitters than Butera is!

It's an absurdly rare situation that isn't that big of a deal when it comes up, and the flip side of it is that there will be several times late in games this year when Gardy needs another pinch hitter, and instead of a Parmalee or Burroughs type guy, it will be Butera and they won't be able to use him.

I think the thing that interests me the most about Nishi's demotion is the fact that it came so early - there are still a lot of pretty-certain cuts on the roster. It strikes me as a sign that either they're trying to send a message ("You need a LOT of work") or they're very close to giving up on him ("We can give Nishi's playing time to Dozier; at least he might amount to something").
    "There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    It is stupid to carry three catchers. I've been posting this for months. That's what AAA and airplanes are for. You are 100x better off wtih a guy that might help, than having a guy sit on the bench just in case there is an injury. Oh well, I'm resigned to the fact they will carry three catchers.

Still can't see why, if Dozier is better than the alternatives, he can't be up here. if Casilla is below average, but tolerable, do you keep Dozier down again next year, because he should be getting ready to be a starter? IF he's ready, he should be up. It's not like he's 21.....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Still can't see why, if Dozier is better than the alternatives, he can't be up here. if Casilla is below average, but tolerable, do you keep Dozier down again next year, because he should be getting ready to be a starter? IF he's ready, he should be up. It's not like he's 21.....[/QUOTE]

I think that is the real question, if he is ready. I read that the Twins feel he can play short, they think he could use more seasoning. I expect that is why he is still in camp, there may be Twins officials/staff who think he is ready or maybe ready enough. I do think he should be starting if he is put on the 25 man roster. Carroll is a utility man, but a good one. It should not be hard to get him 3-4 starts a week at SS, 2B and 3B. That would keep everyone fresh and on there toes-so to speak. It would also keepa 38 year old utility man fresh as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I agree, and so do most fans, but Gardy is terrified of that. And the irony of it is that the 3rd catcher would be someone like Butera and the Twins have probably had pitchers (Santana comes to mind) that were better hitters than Butera is!
    Drew Butera in 376 career at-bats: .178 .220 .261 4 HR

Jason Marquis in 573 career at-bats: .197 .216 .283 5 HR

Of course the flip-side is that Butera is probably a better pitcher than Marquis these days.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't see them carrying Dozier as a utility guy - better he develops in AAA. And hitting a little bit for a half season at AA as a 24-year-old is hardly proof that you're ready for a MLB job.

The question is: who IS ready? I don't really see anyone. Which, by the way, is why I don't care if the Twins bring a 3rd catcher north. If it was going to mean an able bat, like DERREK LEE, wasn't going to make the team - that would be one thing. But I don't see that guy in the organization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It is stupid to carry three catchers. I've been posting this for months.
    So... you are saying/implying that Ron Gardenhire is stupid?
    -----

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John,

I will remind you that you posted an article saying "There is no way Nishioka does not make the team." You were wrong about that and are wrong about Brian Dozier now. He is ready and clearly their best option!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    So where will Nishioka play at AAA? Or will they just be smart and use him as a platoon player for Rochester. I would hate to see Brian Dozier lose any playing time because of him. Do you think Dozier will be turned into 2b and move him off SS?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    So where will Nishioka play at AAA? Or will they just be smart and use him as a platoon player for Rochester. I would hate to see Brian Dozier lose any playing time because of him. Do you think Dozier will be turned into 2b and move him off SS?
    That's what many people have thought all along. However, Dozier will NOT lose playing time to Nishioka. Dozier is a prospect. But Dozier should play both 2B and SS so that if anything happens to either Casilla or Caroll, he could be called up.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    So... you are saying/implying that Ron Gardenhire is stupid?
    Do you really need that question to be answered? Deer in the Headlight look says it all. But, before you judge him remember all those AL Central titles we won and all those playoff games we lost. Case closed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast