Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSN: Worley Looking Forward To Target Field

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

FSN: Worley Looking Forward To Target Field

Twins' Worley excited to pitch at Target Field

With the Phillies, Worley played his home games at Citizens Bank Park, one of the more hitter-friendly stadiums in baseball. Still, he gave up an average of 0.8 home runs per nine innings, which would have been tops on the Twins' staff in 2012. Now, Worley is making the transition to pitcher-friendly Target Field, so it's possible his home runs allowed could go down even further.
    I really am looking forward to seeing this guy. I just hope he's healthy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Take this for what it's worth...probably nothing...but ESPN park factors rated Target Field as the 10th best hitter's park in baseball last year. Philly's park was 19th

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he's the biggest upside player they picked up this year and could be the best pitcher on the roster. I could see him improving his numbers with the Twins but I guess we'll have to see.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,525 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Take this for what it's worth...probably nothing...but ESPN park factors rated Target Field as the 10th best hitter's park in baseball last year. Philly's park was 19th
    The Philadelphia pitching staff gave up 210 less runs than the Twins and I don't think much of that was from the "help" provided by Citizen's Bank Park.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The quoted article seemed to equate "pitcher-friendly" with "home runs". The ESPN park factors page does show Target Field to be less of a home run park than Citizens Bank Park, but both are above average in that metric so any projected improvement in HR/9 just on account of the home park for Worley is pretty close to statistical noise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The Philadelphia pitching staff gave up 210 less runs than the Twins and I don't think much of that was from the "help" provided by Citizen's Bank Park.
    2012 MLB Park Factors - Runs - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    And we all know how good the Twins pitching was last year.

It's difficult to measure the effect because there's always one pitching staff and one lineup that stays constant at every stadium. It'd take years of data to get around that, methinks.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, looking at the info Citizen's Bank Park had a higher Park Factor tow of the last three years. So, I'd say that the PF thing doesn't really mean a lot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like his attitude. He will be fun to watch, and we may have him around for years.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    Single season park factors are troublesome on their own, the simplicity of the ESPN park factors makes it even worse.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Single season park factors are troublesome on their own, the simplicity of the ESPN park factors makes it even worse.
    When I first posted it, I wrote 'Take this for what it's worth...probably nothing...'

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I like his attitude. He will be fun to watch, and we may have him around for years.
    Yeah, he seems pretty cool from what I've seen and I think he has potential to be better than he was with the Philis. I think he's probably the player I look forward to seeing the most going into the season.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    When I first posted it, I wrote 'Take this for what it's worth...probably nothing...'
    I was addressing the crowd in general, not you specifically.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that his positive attitude and work ethic are contagious.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Park factor based on runs is nearly useless. You can have the 94 Braves pitching half their games in Minute Maid Park versus the 2003 Tigers pitching in Dodger Stadium with no accounting for the wild variance in pitching quality, only that the 94 Braves gave up 300 less runs in Minute Maid than the Tigers did in Dodger Stadium. Therefore, Minute Maid Park is a pitching haven.

The Twins pitching staff was awful last season. The Phillies pitching staff, while not overpowering, was still quite good. Both teams had similarly mediocre offenses. You don't think that huge disparity in pitching had something to do with the park factor and runs scored in each ballpark?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    I look forward to him pitching well. He has a good chance to be good.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I look forward to him pitching well. He has a good chance to be good.
    He'll be out there early on his day to pitch, watering the concrete.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Park factor based on runs is nearly useless. You can have the 94 Braves pitching half their games in Minute Maid Park versus the 2003 Tigers pitching in Dodger Stadium with no accounting for the wild variance in pitching quality, only that the 94 Braves gave up 300 less runs in Minute Maid than the Tigers did in Dodger Stadium. Therefore, Minute Maid Park is a pitching haven.

The Twins pitching staff was awful last season. The Phillies pitching staff, while not overpowering, was still quite good. Both teams had similarly mediocre offenses. You don't think that huge disparity in pitching had something to do with the park factor and runs scored in each ballpark?
    Did you catch this part...that I posted twice: ' Take this for what it's worth...probably nothing...' I was just giving some info...this particular one is fairly new to me, so I haven't really given it too much of a look. People can do with it what they will. Like most stats, if it backs their opinion, it's helpful to them. If not, it's worthless and can be torn apart.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Did you catch this part...that I posted twice: ' Take this for what it's worth...probably nothing...' I was just giving some info...this particular one is fairly new to me, so I haven't really given it too much of a look. People can do with it what they will. Like most stats, if it backs their opinion, it's helpful to them. If not, it's worthless and can be torn apart.
    It has nothing to do with backing my opinion or not. Park Factor is nearly useless, period. It's too easily influenced by the home team's pitching staff and offense to be of any real value. I ignore it the same way I ignore wins or RBI. There are too many unbalanced team variables that influence the number and the metric does absolutely nothing to compensate for the fact that Roy Halladay >>>>>>>>> Sam Deduno.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast