Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Nishi optioned to AAA

  1. #1

    Nishi optioned to AAA

    The time we've all been waiting for.... Nishi has been optioned to Rochester. Hopefully the coaches there can do something to still make the Twins investment somewhat usefull...

  2. #2
    My instant thought is what does this mean for Dozier? Nishi and 2B for Rochester, and Dozier at SS -- both everyday players?
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

  3. #3
    I think it's more likely that Ray Chang makes the team over Dozier. The team wants Dozier to get experience everyday and if he's with Minnesota he'd be a utility player.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mueller View Post
    I think it's more likely that Ray Chang makes the team over Dozier. The team wants Dozier to get experience everyday and if he's with Minnesota he'd be a utility player.
    The question is why would he be a utility player in Minnesota? I'm not crazy and I don't think he is the next big thing ala Tom Powers, but I don't think he would be terrible compared to what we have slated to be the starters. There is not reason why Dozier couldn't get 500 PA between 2B/SS. Carroll is not limited to just SS/2B.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    823
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I think it's more likely the Twins will scour the waiver wire and pick up someone else to be the utility player.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,242
    Like
    375
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Carol and Casilla are starters until someone gets hurt or falters. You also have Luke Hughes playing up the middle. I don't see a way to have all 3 up and give everyone the plate appearances they need. This could also mean that the Trever Plouffe in the OF experiment will be ending quicker than we thought. I'm not quite sure they should give up on Plouffe as an infielder. I'm not convinced his bat will play in left (unless the 2 month breakout in Rochester is real and not a small sample), but it will most certainly play at short.

    As well, with Parmalee playing well, I could see him being up and spliting 1B/DH duties with Justin. Doumit moves into the OF more and Revere takes on more of a 4th OF/defensive sub role.

  7. #7

    Only AAA?

    I was thinking maybe Single-A! What a waste of money that guy has been!

    My guess is that Dozier is everyday in AAA at SS and some 2B when Nishi isn't wasting space in the lineup. Also I'm thinking, if he does OK in AAA he will be called up to start if Carrol or Casilla go down. I don't see the other candidates for utility being everyday players.
    TwinsFiend
    The Crazy, Fanatical Fan!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    429
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Should be interesting to see who gets that infielder spot.
    I bent my wookie...

  9. #9
    Hopefully this gets his head right and he's able to get his confidence back at a lower level for now. I'm very skeptical of Carroll's ability to be an everyday shortstop, and just maybe this can turn Nishi around in time for him to take over mid season.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Ball Guy View Post
    Hopefully this gets his head right and he's able to get his confidence back at a lower level for now. I'm very skeptical of Carroll's ability to be an everyday shortstop, and just maybe this can turn Nishi around in time for him to take over mid season.
    Is there a reason you don't trust someone with proven major league experience, yet think Nishi is capable of taking over the SS position mid-season?

  11. #11
    Do you think with the spring that Dozier is having that it is possible he could be the starting shortstop come opening day? Otherwise I think the utility infielder that is not on this roster yet.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    429
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rk83071 View Post
    Do you think with the spring that Dozier is having that it is possible he could be the starting shortstop come opening day? Otherwise I think the utility infielder that is not on this roster yet.
    Dozier could still use alittle more time in the minors, but I could see him making the team. I think the team will look outside before deciding anything.
    I bent my wookie...

  13. #13
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Dozier has played about 2/3 of a season at AA and none at AAA or the majors. At this point it's unlikely that he'd be any better in the lineup this year than Casilla (who is actually having quite a nice spring so far) will be. So I don't see why so many people want to skip him to the majors so quickly.

    He'll be turning 25 soon so I don't this service time and options should factor into the Twins decision, but I do think he needs more seasoning at this point and guys like Chang and Holliman are better options to be a bench or utility guy for the Twins.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    Is there a reason you don't trust someone with proven major league experience, yet think Nishi is capable of taking over the SS position mid-season?
    He's 38 years old and has never been an everyday SS. How'd Nicky Punto do when he was pulled from super utility and thrust into an everyday role? He was hurt and ineffective, all while he was about 8 years younger. When you're used to bouncing around the infield it's not an easy adjustment to take over the most important of those positions on an everyday basis. Nishi has been an elite player in a league with a talent level near AAA, nobody else on roster has produced at that level.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    At this point it's unlikely that he'd be any better in the lineup this year than Casilla (who is actually having quite a nice spring so far) will be.
    But who cares? Casilla will almost certainly be a lousy everyday 2B. Dozier might actually provide some value at the position. If he's lousy too, so what? The alternative was Casilla.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.