Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: TopProspectAlert.com Top 150 includes 7 Twins

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,428
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    TopProspectAlert.com Top 150 includes 7 Twins

    2013 Top 150 Major League Baseball Prospect Rankings

    TopProspectAlert.com has 7 Twins in its Top 150.

    9 - Miguel Sano
    13 - Byron Buxton
    55 - Oswaldo Arcia
    88 - Alex Meyer
    90 - Kyle Gibson
    96 - Aaron Hicks
    121 - JO Berrios

    Surprised by no Eddie Rosario. I could have just missed him.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    831
    Like
    401
    Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    The rest of the AL West had a combined 15 players named.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    585
    Like
    11
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    That site has a lot of last years picks pretty high. Not saying thier wrong but most sites will not have Carols Correa at 8 or Buxton at 13. I also notice they have Kyle Zimmer ahead of Jameson Taillon.

    Definitely odd that he doesn't include Rosario or May on his list. Not even as honerable mentions

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,195
    Like
    358
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    yeah, this list is not very impressive... last year's class was considered weak... Rosario not making it all? This is a 150 list, how Kepler or May isn't on that is a bit odd as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    497
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    26
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    I was also shocked not to see Rosario's name. Definitely a lot more quibbles with this list than others.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,539
    Like
    2,553
    Liked 3,163 Times in 1,682 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    yeah, this list is not very impressive
    At least, the guy is honest:
    I did not attend any minor league games this past year, nor do I claim to have any professional scouting experience.

    Rightly or wrongly, I have the mental image of a kid with OCD living in his parents' basement apartment. I give his list less credence than anybody's on this forum, probably.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    497
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    26
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    At least, the guy is honest:
    I did not attend any minor league games this past year, nor do I claim to have any professional scouting experience.

    Rightly or wrongly, I have the mental image of a kid with OCD living in his parents' basement apartment. I give his list less credence than anybody's on this forum, probably.
    JP's actually a good dude (the guy who runs that site). He's very good at pulling snippets of stat lines from players who had good games/streaks, and is worth a follow on Twitter for that alone.

    But I think this list does show the shortcomings of how he does what he does.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,527
    Like
    59
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Yeah, definitely weighted heavily toward last years crop which is probably due to somewhat of an amature blogger who got really into this kind of thing last year. Strangely Zunino was probably ranked appropriately but four others from the class were ranked ahead of him dispite Zunino reaching AA and having a shot at making the MLB club this year.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    JP's actually a good dude (the guy who runs that site). He's very good at pulling snippets of stat lines from players who had good games/streaks, and is worth a follow on Twitter for that alone.

    But I think this list does show the shortcomings of how he does what he does.
    The list terrible. Keith Law's comes out Tuesday (the list that I respect the most, Jonathan Mayo comes second)
    Essentially all he is doing is looking at stat lines and scouting reports compiled by people who have actually been able to form opinions about players based on what they have seen, and recycling that information, and putting a twist on it. It isn't all that hard to do that, yeah, you have to have a lot of time on your hands..but thats about it.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    497
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    26
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    The list terrible. Keith Law's comes out Tuesday (the list that I respect the most, Jonathan Mayo comes second)
    Essentially all he is doing is looking at stat lines and scouting reports compiled by people who have actually been able to form opinions about players based on what they have seen, and recycling that information, and putting a twist on it. It isn't all that hard to do that, yeah, you have to have a lot of time on your hands..but thats about it.
    To be fair, this is what a lot of people do (including almost all of your most favorite Twins bloggers). Keith Law will even tell you a lot of the information he relies upon is from his industry contacts. Yes, he gets out to see a lot of the guys too, but he can't see everybody, and certainly can't spend more than just a day or two out watching one certain guy, so not sure what you're expecting.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Posts
    266
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    To be fair, this is what a lot of people do (including almost all of your most favorite Twins bloggers). Keith Law will even tell you a lot of the information he relies upon is from his industry contacts. Yes, he gets out to see a lot of the guys too, but he can't see everybody, and certainly can't spend more than just a day or two out watching one certain guy, so not sure what you're expecting.
    He has other resources, most of which who he cannot name, as they are regional scouts, who he gets quality information from. Also, after the draft is over, the HS/College scouts end up doing the MWL & Sally league. The regional scouts do close to 30 games a month, and I often see the same guys at various stadiums across the MWL.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    497
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    26
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    He has other resources, most of which who he cannot name, as they are regional scouts, who he gets quality information from. Also, after the draft is over, the HS/College scouts end up doing the MWL & Sally league. The regional scouts do close to 30 games a month, and I often see the same guys at various stadiums across the MWL.
    Right, that's pretty much exactly what I said. Compare this statement to the way you put it above: "Essentially all he is doing is looking at stat lines and scouting reports compiled by people who have actually been able to form opinions about players based on what they have seen, and recycling that information" - It's essentially the same exact thing. Yes, I give much more credibility to a Keith Law because of his resources (or "industry contacts" as I put it) and his background, but that's pretty much a "captain obvious" situation.

    Regardless, we've already agreed this list has problems.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.