Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason: Correia expects to eat up innings for the Twins

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Im afriad it will take Kevin himself to prove it to the fans before ,most back down on there opinions ....

I understand that, but it has been over a month of straight bashing Correia. How about now accepting that he is signed and hope for the best. At least until the reality sets in in the regular season.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I understand that, but it has been over a month of straight bashing Correia. How about now accepting that he is signed and hope for the best. At least until the reality sets in in the regular season.

Reality set in when we signed him, that's the biggest problem. I accept it but I don't like it.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Drew Butera? You have a problem with Drew Butera? Correia I get, but suddenly we're bashing Drew Butera?
    Suddenly? Where have you been?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rumor has it Matt Capps is also willing to eat for the Twins in 2013.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been reading Seth's stuff for awhile. I probably read one of his first blogs... its been that long...

I think the reason I spent as much time reading his blogs was his sense of the ballplayer and I think I watch baseball the same way that he writes. I don't know but I always felt kinda connected in that way. I've never been to a minor league game but I've learned to rely and trust what Seth writes about them. His passion for the players is second to none.

The main reason I trust Seth is this: I know that Seth isn't going to throw a player away to make a point.

I believe that Seth doesn't see the numbers produced by players as much as he see the player themselves and I respect that and feel the same. These individual stories and the struggle to make or stay with the big club is reality TV at its finest.

Each player... an individual fighting for a career... I really have hard time being hard on a player because of that. I understand the reason for the comments and its ok but I will always side with Seth on issues like this.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Pitchforks and torches on a message board are a perfectly fine way to vent about a bad baseball player. There would be nothing to vent about if 10M wasn't wasted on his roster spot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Aren't most people actually slamming Ryan for being stupid enough to sign him in the first place, as opposed to Correia himself? It's kind of like most people not slamming Punto so much as slamming Gardy's irrational need to play him WAY more than he ever should have? :-)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Also, I think the Correia fury would probably die down if we didn't have a weekly spin job by the organization trying to sell the fanbase on their offseason crown jewel.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I think last month i posted (and believe any and all twins fans hope the same) that ,now Correia is a twin i hope he is the next R.A.Dicky,
    i dont believe he will be but i can hope..sorry seth best i can come up with as far as hope and praise

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Aren't most people actually slamming Ryan for being stupid enough to sign him in the first place, as opposed to Correia himself? It's kind of like most people not slamming Punto so much as slamming Gardy's irrational need to play him WAY more than he ever should have? :-)
    Or maybe slamming Ryan (and the Twins) for pursuing a policy of salary reduction at the expense of quality entertainment for the fans?

You are correct than Correria should not be blamed--he did not wrong the Twins in any way--and Correria should not be flamed because he doesn't measure-up to the fan's expectations. Any "Correria bashing" should not take place until: the season has started and Correria has had an adequate number of games to assess his performance and his performance has been well below the level that he has previously performed. Ergo, Correria must be worse than his previous body of work. If Correria merely equals his previous level we may bash Ryan for signing him, but not Corriera because Ryan should have known what he was "buying from the used car lot."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I haven't seen any personal attacks against Correia. He just isn't good enough to be a starting pitcher in the American League. As an inexpensive long reliever, virtually no one would complain. The problem has nothing to do with Correia himself and everything to do with Twins' management.

There is no way to "move on" from the fact that the front office can't properly evaluate players and apparently doesn't even bother using available budget space. Correia's signing is basically inarguable evidence that there's a serious problem, and trying to act like it's some kind of hate-fest against Correia is just dodging the actual substance behind the criticisms.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Drew Butera? You have a problem with Drew Butera? Correia I get, but suddenly we're bashing Drew Butera?
    You're on the short list of the most hysterical FO apologists on the board, but this is beneath even you. No, not the implied defense of one of the worst hitters in the history of major league baseball. That kind of thing is par for the course here. But the outrage that people are "suddenly" "bashing" a player who has been criticized for YEARS here and every where else but the Twins' PR unicorn stable for his almost magical ability to make baseballs miss his bat..., that's not... sane.

The thing is, it isn't 'sudden', and if you're historically awful at what you do, criticism of you isn't "bashing", it's a plea for a major upgrade to mediocrity.

Money para-quote: 'Drew Butera? You gotta problem with Drew Butera?'

A ray of hope. At least you're inadvertently channeling someone who can handle a bat:

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the Correia siging because he's typically not going to get you 180+ innings per season, he tends to give up the long ball, and doesn't have the stuff to be much of strikeout pitcher. OTOH, he is an experience pitcher and the Twins could use that on the roster and if he can do what he did last year it could be a decent signing. It's not as bad as some think in that the market went way up for pitching this off-season and looks like it will be worse next year. So, if Correia performs well enough for the Twins (approaches 180 innings) then he could look like a pretty good deal next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    When did we stop?
    I had to assume he was kidding. My brain tried processing it as a serious statement and got a BSOD.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    You're on the short list of the most hysterical FO apologists on the board, but this is beneath even you. No, not the implied defense of one of the worst hitters in the history of major league baseball. That kind of thing is par for the course here. But the outrage that people are "suddenly" "bashing" a player who has been criticized for YEARS here and every where else but the Twins' PR unicorn stable for his almost magical ability to make baseballs miss his bat..., that's not... sane.

The thing is, it isn't 'sudden', and if you're historically awful at what you do, criticism of you isn't "bashing", it's a plea for a major upgrade to mediocrity.

Money para-quote: 'Drew Butera? You gotta problem with Drew Butera?'

A ray of hope. At least you're inadvertently channeling someone who can handle a bat:
    Was the sarcasm that difficult to see? Pull your head out of your ass, man.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Was the sarcasm that difficult to see? Pull your head out of your ass, man.
    Said another Twins PR enforcer. Sarcasm? Really? Anyway, thanks for suggesting a home remedy for stupid that I don't need.

On another note, thanks a bunch for helping me prove a point I wasn't trying to make, but absolutely should be:

"Suddenly? Where have you been? "

That's someone else who didn't get the Woody Allen-esque subtlety of birdwatchher's "sarcasm".

But North is a card-carrying member of the Twins Faithful, so maybe his whiff on birdman's stealthy comic genius is ok.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Yeah, he missed it too, but he didn't feel the need to write a manifesto capped with a stupid picture.

Pull your head out of your ass.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Looks like the natives are getting restless!@!!! Time for spring training to start before they start killing themselves!!!

Did anyone hear Sid's interview with Terry Ryan on Sunday? When the subject of Butera came up Terry just made it plain that he wanted a veteran catcher around in case Mauer or Dumait get hurt, that the organization was a little short on catchers. Makes sense. You've got a raw, unproven pitching staff, on sense in adding an unproven catcher to the mix when you can sign a known defensive catcher for a little over the minimum salary.

Let the flames roar on!!!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the fact that Butera is on the roster but fixing that problem was waaaaaaay down on my list of things to care about going into 2013.

The problem is that numbers 1-17 weren't addressed in a meaningful way, either.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't really have an issue with keeping Butera around. Mauer staying healthy is far from a sure thing, Doumit could go down as well. If nothing else Butera is solid behind the plate though you are taking a big hit on the offensive side. I think they need to keep 3 guys on the roster that can catch and Butera is a better option right now than they have in the minors.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast