Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason: Correia expects to eat up innings for the Twins

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mason: Correia expects to eat up innings for the Twins

Correia expects to eat up innings for Twins

Now that he's putting the National League behind him, Correia believes the switch to the AL should pay dividends for his production on the mound.

"I think in the National League your innings get cut short because you get pinch-hit for in certain situations," said Correia, whose career-high innings total was 198 back in 2009. "So I'm looking forward to seeing how many innings I can put up in the American League for the first time in my career."

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IP/GS for all qualified starters since 2010 in AL: 6.25
    IP/GS for all qualified starters since 2010 in NL: 6.15

edit: BTW that is a tenth of an inning, not a full out
    Last edited by Willihammer; 01-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correia was pretty impressive in the interview. The line that John quoted above, when Correia said it, myself and the other writers there all kind of nodded. It's not something that we typically think about.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It's a good thing I read that on an empty stomach :-)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Correia was pretty impressive in the interview. The line that John quoted above, when Correia said it, myself and the other writers there all kind of nodded. It's not something that we typically think about.
    Conveniently, he forgot that he also won't be handed a free out in 1/9 of the opposing ABs in the AL. (Particularly since Butera is on his own team.)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in agreement with the Twins Geek... the Correia bashing should stop now. We all know we don't like the signing, particularly the second year, but he is signed, so move on. Let's hope that he can find a way to eat 180 or so innings and have an ERA of 4.50 or so. It is possible. Other low-K guys have managed to have good seasons, so why not hope for that rather than continuing to bash the same deal. I mean, it's been over a month now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm in agreement with the Twins Geek... the Correia bashing should stop now. We all know we don't like the signing, particularly the second year, but he is signed, so move on. Let's hope that he can find a way to eat 180 or so innings and have an ERA of 4.50 or so. It is possible. Other low-K guys have managed to have good seasons, so why not hope for that rather than continuing to bash the same deal. I mean, it's been over a month now.
    So because it was an "interesting take" we should gloss over the fact that according to the stats that Willihammer threw out there, it basically means nothing more than roughly 3 IP over 30 starts? (And if that's an average, that means good pitchers would be higher and bad pitchers would be lower, and guess which end of the spectrum Correia falls on?)

Like it or not, Correia is the "marquee" (and basically, Marquis) free agent signing of Ryan's offseason, and a symbol of what most would consider a problematic showing in that department. It's going to come up a lot when your GM's "plan" involves giving multiple years to a poor pitcher early in the free agency period, when similar or quite likely better players get cheaper and shorter deals afterwards. I can cross my fingers and hope REALLY hard Drew Butera learned to keep his eyes open when the ball is on its way toward the plate this year, but it probably isn't going to do me or the Twins a whole lot of good when he's in the batter's box.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    So we get the pirates 6th starter and they upgrade by signing kyle waldrop?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    So because it was an "interesting take" we should gloss over the fact that according to the stats that Willihammer threw out there, it basically means nothing more than roughly 3 IP over 30 starts? (And if that's an average, that means good pitchers would be higher and bad pitchers would be lower, and guess which end of the spectrum Correia falls on?)

Like it or not, Correia is the "marquee" (and basically, Marquis) free agent signing of Ryan's offseason, and a symbol of what most would consider a problematic showing in that department. It's going to come up a lot when your GM's "plan" involves giving multiple years to a poor pitcher early in the free agency period, when similar or quite likely better players get cheaper and shorter deals afterwards. I can cross my fingers and hope REALLY hard Drew Butera learned to keep his eyes open when the ball is on its way toward the plate this year, but it probably isn't going to do me or the Twins a whole lot of good when he's in the batter's box.
    "Correia is the Marquis Free Agent signing of the offseason" (Well played, Sir!)

I sense a quirky commercial in the works by that clever, "play on words" Ad Agency that the Twins use for their marketing....
    Last edited by jokin; 01-29-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Im afriad it will take Kevin himself to prove it to the fans before ,most back down on there opinions ....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

I can cross my fingers and hope REALLY hard Drew Butera learned to keep his eyes open when the ball is on its way toward the plate this year, but it probably isn't going to do me or the Twins a whole lot of good when he's in the batter's box.
    Actually you should close your eyes, too- "Be like Drew!"- like all the others in the Twins apologists Make A Wish Foundation

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts

Drew Butera? You have a problem with Drew Butera? Correia I get, but suddenly we're bashing Drew Butera?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Im afriad it will take Kevin himself to prove it to the fans before ,most back down on there opinions ....
    Unlike others, I was an early (albeit slightly sarcastic) optimist, that TR outthought the other 29 GMs, sensing that KC can fool 'em for half a season and become a flippable asset in July.

I'd love to come down off of Sarcasm Hill and admit I was wrong about Correia, but to bury heads in the sand and pretend that this wasn't a spectacularly bad deal on paper- and not just doubling down, but tripling down on the Marquis Blunder of 2012, is just silly.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    "I think in the National League your innings get cut short because you get pinch-hit for in certain situations," said Correia.
    Certain situations such as being behind when the fifth inning rolls around, sir?

Oops, we're supposed to stop with the snark. Sorry.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in agreement with the Twins Geek... the Correia bashing should stop now. We all know we don't like the signing, particularly the second year, but he is signed, so move on.
    So when someone starts a thread about Correia, people are allowed to say only positive things? Even when his explanation for previous struggles isn't really backed up as a general rule by evidence? In addition to Willihammer's stat above, last year AL & NL starters averaged an identical 5.9 IP/GS. It's not like people are randomly bringing him up to bash him.

To be fair, when you look through Correia's game log, you can see that there were several games where he was pulled while pitching fairly well with his pitch count still around 80-90. But the fact that the Pirates were so apt to remove him in these situations says something about their level of faith in him, not to mention the status of the games (teams usually pinch-hit when they're losing).

It's a two-sided coin in the same way as Terry Ryan's remark about Correia's innings being low because he was removed from the rotation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Drew Butera? You have a problem with Drew Butera? Correia I get, but suddenly we're bashing Drew Butera?
    In the down times, even the golden goose can lose a little luster.

I really don't think this signing is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Twins need quality starts. Kevin did that in 57% of his starts. That was above average and only slightly below Diamond who led Twins.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    When did we stop?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Certain situations such as being behind when the fifth inning rolls around, sir?

Oops, we're supposed to stop with the snark. Sorry.
    (Chanting) one of us. One of us.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    It would be awesome if he was good this year. Hope can be a wonderful thing.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast