Thread: Strib: Benson Excited For Second Chance

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Strib: Benson Excited For Second Chance

Benson is eager to put '12 season behind him | StarTribune.com

"I can't even begin to describe how excited I am, going from the worst summer athletically of my entire life to kind of getting a second chance and getting a crack at it. I can't wait for the first day of spring training."
    Two takes:

1. Benson had better be excited by this second chance. Because I'm not sure there will be a third.
    2. Is this a danger of the Twins not pushing guys up levels? That if they have a lost year, due to health or whatever, that there is little room for error?

One more...

3. I'd love for this to be a Span/Plouffe/Parmelee situation, where he suddenly shines way beyond his previous numbers in AAA. (i'm hoping the same thing for Dozier.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    Maybe I'm not as familiar with micro-fracture surgery, but hasn't that historically been a pretty hit-or-miss procedure? Seems unlikely that there would be no concern about it.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 129 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with you, Geek, especially on point number 3. Joe seemed primed for a big year in Rochester, but never got going. I hope he is healthy and productive this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Injured or not, I think his issue historically has been plate discipline. I hope he figures it out.

I would be lying if I denied having watched this clip a mess of times. Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@MIN: Benson falls a homer short of the cycle - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I would love to see him at Target field doing a lot of that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Benson had a decent spring last year. If he does that again, do the Twins start him in CF and keep Hicks down until May 7?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a Benson guy. I hope he takes CF to start the year and runs with it. Then the Twins can call up Hicks/Arcia when Morneau is traded or Parmelee fails.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'm a Benson guy. I hope he takes CF to start the year and runs with it. Then the Twins can call up Hicks/Arcia when Morneau is traded or Parmelee fails.
    That is my best-case scenario too. Honestly cannot wait for Arcia. He is a real baller. Hicks seems more like he will struggle for awhile. But I'm also excited to see Aaron play d in CF

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When thinking about Benson's potential...maybe he sticks in MN and hits for power. He would be a great trading chip for the deadline. Hicks is going to debut this year or next, so maybe Joe can provide more prospects in trade once Hicks does come up for good

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@MIN: Benson falls a homer short of the cycle - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I really hope he finds it. The attached clip is great I would love to see him do that a lot in 2013 and beyond.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Gotta agree on Benson, I'm pulling for him to make the team. On the other hand, we all know Aaron Hicks already would be an excellent defensive CF, and his bat is probably as good as Benson's, so something's got to give. Now we see why the Twins traded away Span and Revere. Even with them gone, it's still a logjam in the outfield with all these talented guys coming up. It's a safe bet that at least a couple of these guys will eventually become serious stars.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Gotta agree on Benson, I'm pulling for him to make the team. On the other hand, we all know Aaron Hicks already would be an excellent defensive CF, and his bat is probably as good as Benson's, so something's got to give. Now we see why the Twins traded away Span and Revere. Even with them gone, it's still a logjam in the outfield with all these talented guys coming up. It's a safe bet that at least a couple of these guys will eventually become serious stars.
    Right, and these position battles are all to see who can play alongside Buxton in 2017. Bux might force Hicks to RF

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On Saturday, Benson came over and spent about 20 minutes just chatting with me. He's a terrific guy who works incredibly hard. He know he needs to slow the game down, and he's trying. However, his hamate was bad within the first few games in Rochester last year, but he played through the injury for a month until he finally had surgery. Then when he came back, the knee went bad pretty quickly. There's a LOT more to it than any of this. But people forget that one year ago, people were as excited about Benson as they are about Hicks this year (the exception that there is an open spot this year).

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    On Saturday, Benson came over and spent about 20 minutes just chatting with me. He's a terrific guy who works incredibly hard. He know he needs to slow the game down, and he's trying. However, his hamate was bad within the first few games in Rochester last year, but he played through the injury for a month until he finally had surgery. Then when he came back, the knee went bad pretty quickly. There's a LOT more to it than any of this. But people forget that one year ago, people were as excited about Benson as they are about Hicks this year (the exception that there is an open spot this year).
    What was Joe Benson doing in Warroad? I thought he was more of a Strandquist type.

I'm hoping Joe has a great year this year... It will feel real good for him after last year. I felt really bad for him knowing how he close he was getting... These are hopes and dreams after all.

I hope the CF situation ends up being one of those "good problems to have" cliches.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    That is my best-case scenario too. Honestly cannot wait for Arcia. He is a real baller. Hicks seems more like he will struggle for awhile. But I'm also excited to see Aaron play d in CF

I am also afraid that Hicks struggles out of the gate, but more afraid that his confidence is shaken early. Benson having experience would at least be a little better in this respect, but hoping for the best for both gentleman!
    Last edited by CK; 01-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.