Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Souhan: Ryan's Future Might Be Tied To Gardenhire's

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries

Souhan: Ryan's Future Might Be Tied To Gardenhire's

Souhan: Ryan sees himself, manager in same boat | StarTribune.com

Ryan could fire Gardenhire this season. Sunday, he seemed to be hinting that he won't. One reading of Ryan's comments is this: Either he and Gardenhire will turn the Twins around together over the next couple of years, or they'll leave the organization joined at the hip.
    I wouldn't have thought this was the case at the beginning of the offseason, but after this offseason, it might be. It's certainly not fair to judge Gardy give the team that Ryan has assembled. And given that he had money and didn't use it, the talent level on this team falls squarely on Ryan's shoulders.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    This was from Ryan in the Mackey story;

" We think we have a pretty good lineup one through nine, so I can tell you our expectations are to compete and to contend."

This would tell me that Ryan feels he has done his job and now it's up to Gardy to deliver!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The ole boys club at its finest. Hopefully their days are numbered. I've said it in the past, you can't judge Gardy on the last few years. Judge him on his disgusting performances in the playoffs, terrible handling of young players, and batting Drew Butera 2nd or 3rd. Everything comes to an end, I wont miss this era.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 96 Posts
    Maybe my reading comprehension is off, but it sounds like Gardy and Ryan will decide when they leave, and nobody else is going to tell them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    This was from Ryan in the Mackey story;

" We think we have a pretty good lineup one through nine, so I can tell you our expectations are to compete and to contend."

This would tell me that Ryan feels he has done his job and now it's up to Gardy to deliver!
    I wonder if Ryan's office is padded?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have to agree with the article. Gardy may be around in 2014. Heck, he may even get a shot at managing Sano? The Twins will lose 85 games next year, but not their manager.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    The ole boys club at its finest. Hopefully their days are numbered. I've said it in the past, you can't judge Gardy on the last few years. Judge him on his disgusting performances in the playoffs, terrible handling of young players, and batting Drew Butera 2nd or 3rd. Everything comes to an end, I wont miss this era.
    Man, posts like this drive me nuts. Butera has never batted 2nd. He's had 11 plate appearances in his career batting 3rd and all of them came after he relieved Mauer. (He's only had one start where he wasn't batting 8th or 9th. He batted 7th once). Gardy has done a fine job with young players and his team has always been among the youngest in the league. In fact, since he became our manager, we've had the youngest lineup 3 times, 2nd youngest 3 times, 3rd youngest 3 times and only one season where they weren't among the 5 youngest lineups in baseball. He's gotten the best out of a lot of young guys. The list of guys who have been better after they left Gardy is incredibly short. (cue paranoid Machiavellian Gardy theories now). The 5 teams that the Twins have lost to in the 1st round have averaged 101 wins/season but let's act like the 86 win Twins team should've beaten those Yankees.

Senior Member All-Star
    I don't think Gardy is the problem but I think he's also respected enough around the league that I could see him leaving the Twins after the year to manage somewhere else. I don't think that will happen and think it's more likely that the Twins extend him, but I could see him going to a NL team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I've never been much of a Gardenhire appologist, but I hope he and Ryan are not joined at the hip, simply because when this awful club blows up, Ryan needs to be the first to go.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I've never been much of a Gardenhire appologist, but I hope he and Ryan are not joined at the hip, simply because when this awful club blows up, Ryan needs to be the first to go.
    I haven't been a Gardy supporter since around August 2007. Coincidentally, Ryan lost me in 2007 as well, though earlier.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    LOL, do you really believe what you just posted? The only thing you said that made any sense was the handling of young players. I do think he needs a little help with young players and their ups and downs. People throw Drew Butera in their like he is an everday player, when the truth is he batted a little over 100 times last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Coaching Jobs are not meant to be secure. But this job has been one of the most secure in baseball since TK started way back when

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quick question...in today's day and age, if the Red Sox, Angels or Yanks manager led his team to 12 straight playoff losses, regardless of the opponent, would that manager stay the manager, or would he be canned?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh! Pick me! I know this one!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    My take on the article is different--Gardenhire will be tendered another contract. Ryan is guiding the team under a management-approved plan and Gardenhire is Ryan's guy--and always was! Back in the days (2001) when Kelly was to replaced the "discussion" was between Gardenhire and Ryan. I believe Gardenhire pledged heart, mind, body, sole, and baseball philosophy to Ryan to get the job. Molitor didn't (plus he had the BB creds to "disagree" with Ryan)--so Buh-bye to Molitor. No one ever accused the Twins of ignoring loyalty to the boss as a praise-worthy quality. Some heads had to be "put-in-a-basket" after last season, so a contract extention was not practicable. But anything signifying improvement, or turnaround can (and will) be used to justify tendering another contract to Gardenhire. This statement by Ryan is termed "foreshadowing" and serves to refute any who might claim "Deux es Machina" when something "unexpected" occurs in the conclusion.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    If they weren't canned after those 12 straight playoff losses, the following two 95+ loss seasons would have certainly done them in on just about any team, regardless of if it was NY or Boston or whoever.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    If they weren't canned after those 12 straight playoff losses, the following two 95+ loss seasons would have certainly done them in on just about any team, regardless of if it was NY or Boston or whoever.
    It was a trick question, the managers of those teams would have never even reached 12 straight playoff losses before they were canned :-)

And you are definitely right about 'the following two 95+ loss seasons would have certainly done them in on just about any team, regardless of if it was NY or Boston or whoever.'

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quick question...in today's day and age, if the Red Sox, Angels or Yanks manager led his team to 12 straight playoff losses, regardless of the opponent, would that manager stay the manager, or would he be canned?
    Are you really comparing the resources of the 3 largest AL markets to the Twins under Gardy? Really?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Oh! Pick me! I know this one!
    ah man, didn't see your post before I gave the answer...sorry buddy :-)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Are you really comparing the resources of the 3 largest AL markets to the Twins under Gardy? Really?
    No, I'm comparing playoff results...you wanna give them a pass for losing 12 straight cause of payroll issues, cool...good on ya...but the team managed 94 wins with a payroll under 100M...and couldn't scrap out even one playoff win. Other teams have gotten to the second round and even into the W Series with a lower payroll than ours...

and heck, it could easily apply to ANY team, especially when you throw that in with consecutive seasons with at least 95 losses.

MLB record for consecutive playoff losses is 13.

2006 we have the MVP, the batting champ, the CY Young winner, HR hitting and gold glove wearing CF, a top 3 closer, Cuddy knocking in 100 RBI...and we get swept by Oakland.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-28-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast