Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: La Velle: Is Sano Too Big For Third Base?

Liked 3,164 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Attachment 3159

That's A-Rod as a rookie. I don't think it takes much "projecting" to look to the left and see the picture of Sano and realize that he's going to be a very big dude. The guy isn't even 20 yet and has crested 200 lbs.

That doesn't mean he can't play third base but it does mean it's a bit of a longshot.
    Actually, the picture is of A-Rod as a high school player at Westminster in Miami.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Actually, the picture is of A-Rod as a high school player at Westminster in Miami.
    Yeah, grabbed the wrong one and didn't notice. Still, he didn't look much different as a 19 year old with the Mariners.

1994-Upper-Deck-Alex-Rodriguez-Rookie-Card-213x300.jpg

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I'm not sure that you really understand how the human body works.

His current size is as big as ARod and Cabrera (possibly a little tubbier now) currently are. Both of these players were skinny when they were Sano's age. This is not a conditioning issue. Sano is absolutely ripped right now. The issue is that he is a big kid and it wouldn't be a surprise if he put on 20-30+ more lbs (of muscle) in the next 5 years.
    Help me out here. Athleticism isn't dependent on size. Reaction speed isn't dependent on size. The mechanics of throwing a ball isn't dependent on size. So what about size matters if you have the athleticism?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Premature. He should spend all of 2013 at 3B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Help me out here. Athleticism isn't dependent on size. Reaction speed isn't dependent on size. The mechanics of throwing a ball isn't dependent on size. So what about size matters if you have the athleticism?
    Actually athleticism typically declines with size and age.

People are acting like I don't think he should play 3B for the next couple of seasons. I haven't said anything like that. I am simply being realistic about where he is likely to play most of his career.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    As long s they do not keep his bat in the minors for years while he learns to play defense.....if he is a great MLB hitter, I want him up, not learning to field for four years....but I doubt you all agree.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Judging by what's on the field at the MLB level, the Twins would be hypocritical to stiffle promotions based on defense.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-30-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that you really understand how the human body works.

His current size is as big as ARod and Cabrera (possibly a little tubbier now) currently are. Both of these players were skinny when they were Sano's age. This is not a conditioning issue. Sano is absolutely ripped right now. The issue is that he is a big kid and it wouldn't be a surprise if he put on 20-30+ more lbs (of muscle) in the next 5 years.
    I guess I look at true athletes like Matt Kemp who lost 20 pounds while in his 20's and had an all star caliber 2011 & 2012 season.
    That's how I look at the human body working. It's about the "Want to". If you want to be special you will do the necessary work to stay in peak condition and shape.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 3159

That's A-Rod as a rookie. I don't think it takes much "projecting" to look to the left and see the picture of Sano and realize that he's going to be a very big dude. The guy isn't even 20 yet and has crested 200 lbs.

That doesn't mean he can't play third base but it does mean it's a bit of a longshot.
    It is a different world than when A-Rod came into the league. There is so much more of an emphasis on health and conditioning. Players are staying in better shape than they would have in the past. Players are going to pre-spring training workout facilities to get in shape for Spring Training. Guys in the past didn't put as much work into conditioning as they do now. That in itself should and could keep a guy like Sano at 3rd base longer throughout his career.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    6-4 230 and growing. This guy should be going into his Sophmore year playing OLB/DE hybrid for the Alabama Crimson Tide. This guy needs to be a football player instead. Clowney who? This guy is going to be 6-5 250 and freakishly cut. If he doesn't pan out for the Twins I know a team that could use a pass rusher across from an all-pro DE in the same town.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I guess I look at true athletes like Matt Kemp who lost 20 pounds while in his 20's and had an all star caliber 2011 & 2012 season.
    That's how I look at the human body working. It's about the "Want to". If you want to be special you will do the necessary work to stay in peak condition and shape.
    Have you looked at Sano? he is a true athlete. The kid is ripped and he's not carrying around any baby fat. He's a big guy (as a teenager) and that isn't going to change no matter how much 'he wants it to change'.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Actually athleticism typically declines with size and age.
    Wait a second, so you are telling me, that when I am 40, I will be less athletic than I was at 20. I think you are in line for a noble peace prize for this astonishing discovery. Congratulations!

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    As long s they do not keep his bat in the minors for years while he learns to play defense.....if he is a great MLB hitter, I want him up, not learning to field for four years....but I doubt you all agree.
    Um. This is easy to agree with. His bat is his asset, if he can play a defensively more "premium" position (i.e. 3rd base over 1st base), then that's gravy. So he should work on it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed and probably the prevailing opinion here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    OK folks, all you who are worried that an apparently very fit and athletic Sano will become too big to play 3B (presumably because he would lack the necessary quickness and range) but are OK with Plouffe at 3B, raise your hands.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    OK folks, all you who are worried that an apparently very fit and athletic Sano will become too big to play 3B (presumably because he would lack the necessary quickness and range) but are OK with Plouffe at 3B, raise your hands.
    I'm OK with any player that can field the ball well and hit, problem is right now Sano can't help us and Plouffe can't play 3B...lol. Nothing to do with either being too big, though if Sano is getting as big as they say he's almost for sure going to be the biggest 3B in the league.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Frank Thomas was the best right-handed hitter I've seen in my lifetime...
    Cough...Pujols...Cough....

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Cough...Pujols...Cough....
    Food for thought, through age 32, OPS+

169 - Frank
    168 - Pujols
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12