Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Velle: Is Sano Too Big For Third Base?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

La Velle: Is Sano Too Big For Third Base?

Twins top prospect Sano looms large | StarTribune.com

Sano committed 42 errors last season, posting an .884 fielding percentage. Combine that with his expanding frame, and the Twins would appear to have a future outfielder or first baseman on their hands.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think his size is just an excuse for being young and not very good in the field at the position. Granted, if he gets any bigger he's going to end up being Frank Thomas and end up at 1B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Is Miguel Cabrera too big to play 3B? I remember this tome about Cal Ripken and SS, and more recently Mauer and C despite evidence to the contrary.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Miguel looked pretty bad at 3B though from what I saw. Ripken was a better example, everyone said he was too big but was very good in the field. Mauer was never said to be too big to play catcher but too big to stay healthy at catcher which at least is somewhat valid notion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 385 Times in 236 Posts
    Cabrera is a pretty poor defender. I'd still take the trade off if he puts up Cabrera numbers. If you want to use a large third baseman as an example, use Scott Rolen, he is Sano's size and an all time elite defender. You can be large and play 3B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    The problem isn't that Sano is big now. The problem is that Sano is the same size as these so-called comparables as a teenager. Perhaps he makes the majors as a 3B but I think he'll be at 1B by his mid to late 20's.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The problem isn't that Sano is big now. The problem is that Sano is the same size as these so-called comparables as a teenager. Perhaps he makes the majors as a 3B but I think he'll be at 1B by his mid to late 20's.
    Most of the media is claiming he grew "at least an inch" since last year as well... hard to say what he'll turn out to be of course.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he takes his conditioning more seriously as he moves through the system - I would rather compare him to A-Rod defensively and Cabrera offensively with his current size. Strong arm with decent agility. He is athletic enough - just needs the maturity and discipline to stay there. Great players tend to stay in shape for the peak of their careers. Hopefully he aspires to be great.

I'm skeptical that if he's 235-240 at 19. He'll end up at Third Base. I would question whether it's really a good goal considering his greatest asset is going to be his power. My hope is that he moves well enough to have passable range in RF since one of his best assets is his arm. Mike Stanton seems to hold up at 245-250 quite well. This would seem to be a reasonable comp for Sano as far as body type. .

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't seen him play so sight unseen obviously... I'd give him as much rope as possible at 3B. The reports I've read about his athleticism suggest he has the tools. If he has the hands... He can figure out the feet.

Size won't matter... The Ladies tell me this all the time.

He could convert to 1B fairly quickly if it fails.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot
    If he takes his conditioning more seriously as he moves through the system - I would rather compare him to A-Rod defensively and Cabrera offensively with his current size. Strong arm with decent agility. He is athletic enough - just needs the maturity and discipline to stay there. Great players tend to stay in shape for the peak of their careers. Hopefully he aspires to be great.
    I'm not sure that you really understand how the human body works.

His current size is as big as ARod and Cabrera (possibly a little tubbier now) currently are. Both of these players were skinny when they were Sano's age. This is not a conditioning issue. Sano is absolutely ripped right now. The issue is that he is a big kid and it wouldn't be a surprise if he put on 20-30+ more lbs (of muscle) in the next 5 years.

Liked 3,188 Times in 1,365 Posts
    You leave Sano at third base as long as possible, and then a little longer. If at some point you absolutely positively have to move him to the OF or 1B, you do it. But not before. When his bat is ready, he'll be in the big leagues. IF he has to learn a new position at the big league level, he can learn 1st or RF there, if he hasn't been moved before. Size isn't really the issue, if he has the athleticism and ground ball chops to play third, being big won't matter.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 868 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that you really understand how the human body works.

His current size is as big as ARod and Cabrera (possibly a little tubbier now) currently are. Both of these players were skinny when they were Sano's age. This is not a conditioning issue. Sano is absolutely ripped right now. The issue is that he is a big kid and it wouldn't be a surprise if he put on 20-30+ more lbs (of muscle) in the next 5 years.
    At least we know for certain that ARod's Juiceman knew how the human body works.

Thankfully, we apparently won't have that worry with Sano.

3B until he definitively proves he can't cut it defensively- at a Cabrera-like woebegone level.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    I think his size is just an excuse for being young and not very good in the field at the position. Granted, if he gets any bigger he's going to end up being Frank Thomas and end up at 1B.
    And thats a bad thing?

Senior Member All-Star
    Nobody Including myself has said that you don't leave Sano at 3B as long as possible. I just don't think anyone understands how unique Sano is since he could easily be 25, in great shape and 260-270 lbs. The body comparisons to ARod and Cabrera are worthless since they were 200 lbs or less at similar ages. Stanton is a good comp though but we don't really how much bigger he will get. I also think Frank Thomas was a good comp since he graduated from Auburn at 240ish lbs but he was older than Sano and was a college football player (tight end I think).

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean too big to play 3B? I would put Shaq at third if he could field the position. Who cares how big Sano is! Playing 1B and 3B are pretty much the same skills needed. Give the kid some time to get better at third. There are many examples of kids that were poor defensively at third in the minors and they learn to play great defense (Adrian Beltre for example), but there are no examples of kids that can't hit, learning how to be a great hitter. This kid can hit and he needs to get better defensively. He is only 19, so give him a chance to get better in the field. Having a great hitter that can play third is a much more valuable thing than another guy who can hit but has to play 1B, RF or DH.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    And thats a bad thing?
    I didn't say being Frank Thomaas would be a bad thing, that would be awesome. My point is that he's simply not that good in the field right now and he's young but it probably has little to do with his size at this point.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,608 Times in 835 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody Including myself has said that you don't leave Sano at 3B as long as possible. I just don't think anyone understands how unique Sano is since he could easily be 25, in great shape and 260-270 lbs. The body comparisons to ARod and Cabrera are worthless since they were 200 lbs or less at similar ages. Stanton is a good comp though but we don't really how much bigger he will get. I also think Frank Thomas was a good comp since he graduated from Auburn at 240ish lbs but he was older than Sano and was a college football player (tight end I think).
    1993classicsuddenimpactalexrodriguez.jpg

That's A-Rod as a rookie. I don't think it takes much "projecting" to look to the left and see the picture of Sano and realize that he's going to be a very big dude. The guy isn't even 20 yet and has crested 200 lbs.

That doesn't mean he can't play third base but it does mean it's a bit of a longshot.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,608 Times in 835 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    I didn't say being Frank Thomaas would be a bad thing, that would be awesome. My point is that he's simply not that good in the field right now and he's young but it probably has little to do with his size at this point.
    Frank Thomas was the best right-handed hitter I've seen in my lifetime so yeah, I think we should all be happy with any kind of Frank Thomas comp to Sano.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    You leave Sano at third base as long as possible, and then a little longer. If at some point you absolutely positively have to move him to the OF or 1B, you do it. But not before. When his bat is ready, he'll be in the big leagues. IF he has to learn a new position at the big league level, he can learn 1st or RF there, if he hasn't been moved before. Size isn't really the issue, if he has the athleticism and ground ball chops to play third, being big won't matter.
    Knowledge that far too many people seem to forget. Good reminder Chief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast