Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 1500 at Twinsfest

1500 at Twinsfest

Why are they covering a team so much that kicked them in nuts and bailed for a second rate FM station?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What else do they have to talk about?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When the Twins announced that they were going to KTWN, they also announced an agreement with 1500ESPN to get interviews and other thins.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    When the Twins announced that they were going to KTWN, they also announced an agreement with 1500ESPN to get interviews and other thins.
    other thins? they opening a diet center?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like #SethsHungover followed #GetSethDrunk.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    other thins? they opening a diet center?
    A good example of irony is when Johny dakota, one of the worst spellers I've ever seen, makes fun of another person's typo

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    As a thin, I find this line of discussion highly prejudicial.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins programming will still be on 1500 - I'm not sure what will be on which station off the top of my head, or if they have even made that 100% clear yet, but some official tie in programs will still occur on 1500 (Ron Gardenhire show for example I believe will still be on 1500).

I get the impression that 96.3 will have a morning show, pop music, and Twins games with (maybe?) a pre and post game show. Not sure about pre and post game show even. Everything else will be on 1500 (again, I think).

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    And I'd also like to say that the 1500 booth was actually kinda fun - friendly people working it, a game of sorts, and some decent freebies (nothing great but magnet schedule and sunglasses are better than nothing!)

96.3 on the other hand had nada mucho.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls View Post
    Twins programming will still be on 1500 - I'm not sure what will be on which station off the top of my head, or if they have even made that 100% clear yet, but some official tie in programs will still occur on 1500 (Ron Gardenhire show for example I believe will still be on 1500).

I get the impression that 96.3 will have a morning show, pop music, and Twins games with (maybe?) a pre and post game show. Not sure about pre and post game show even. Everything else will be on 1500 (again, I think).
    So K-Twin gets the one thing that's of real significance?

I didn't expect 1500 to say FU, but I thought they'd put some distance between themselves and the Twins. Treat them like they would the Vikings, or any other team in town.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    So K-Twin gets the one thing that's of real significance?
    Well, depends on what you mean by that. Since you are on this website, I'm guessing you like to consume as much Twins related content as possible.

But to the general public, obviously the game broadcast is the most significant thing. It is a really weird setup playing pop music all day and then broadcasting a game, but it keeps the ratings up higher than having sports talk, at least with the current crop of hosts and format that has been on display at other stations.

Also, I found this (why diamondbacks is in the URL... I don't know)
    Minnesota Twins announce new radio partnership with FM 96.3 K-TWIN | twinsbaseball.com: News

"On the programming front, FM 96.3 K-TWIN is committed to an impressive year-round lineup of baseball-themed shows featuring Twins players, coaches and broadcasters. During the season, FM 96.3 K-TWIN will feature comprehensive Twins coverage including game day shows often originating on-location from various places in and around Target Field and Northern Lights Broadcasting’s new studios at the Ford Center (which is across the street from Target Field on 5th street in downtown Minneapolis)"

"in 2013 1500 ESPN and the stations of the Treasure Island Baseball Network will continue to air a variety of Twins-related year-round programming including the "Ron Gardenhire Show," “Inside Twins" and an off-season Twins "Hot Stove League" program."

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When 1500 was carrying the Twins, they paid something like $1M for the that programming (and got none of the advertising revenue, too). AS part of that they also had all the ancillary programming too, like the Ron Gardenhire show, etc .

With the move to KTWN, my understanding is that the Twins are paying ESPN1500 to air that ancillary programming. So ESPN 1500 gets sports programming AND gets paid for it. It's not a bad deal for them, so long as they stay committed to a sorts format. (And give that they have an agreement with the U for basketball and hockey, that format likely isn't changing soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    When 1500 was carrying the Twins, they paid something like $1M for the that programming (and got none of the advertising revenue, too). AS part of that they also had all the ancillary programming too, like the Ron Gardenhire show, etc .

With the move to KTWN, my understanding is that the Twins are paying ESPN1500 to air that ancillary programming. So ESPN 1500 gets sports programming AND gets paid for it. It's not a bad deal for them, so long as they stay committed to a sorts format. (And give that they have an agreement with the U for basketball and hockey, that format likely isn't changing soon.)

Thank you for the info John.