Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Source: Twins have 1 yr offer to Saunders; never made offer to Marcum

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 331 Times in 220 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    In general, even in 're-building' you should allocate your resources to put the best product on the field. The only difference is that you want to ensure you're not 'blocking' anyone or tying up resources in future years recklessly. In this regard, TR has failed.

Could he have gotten Grienke? Probably not. But the fact that it was dismissed as laughable to even consider is bothersome. The Twins could have gone 6/$150. Not saying they should have, but they could afford it. The fact that we still act more like Oakland/Tampa than St. LouisDetroit is not right. We're not the little engine that could anymore.

Grienke aside, this team can afford a payroll of at least $90 million. The pitching staff was a joke, and much, much more could have been done for it than we have seen so far. Getting Saunders would help. Keeping Baker would have been nice (doesn't preclude going after Pelfrey too). Going after someone like Lannan instead of Corriea. Maybe spending some of the difference/unused $ on an Edwin Jackson. Taking a 'risk' on Marcum instead of Harden. There are many scenarios. But most of them are better than what we got.
    They didn't need to even "go after" Lannan, he was still under Nats control at the time they acquired Meyer. Could have easily been a throw-in. He might have cost slightly more in trade than on the FA market, but they certainly would have had a better asset at a cheaper price than Correia, better durability than Correia and most importantly, not gotten stuck with 2 years of Correia.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-28-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    They did supplement their core with werth and edwin jackson.
    That's all anyone is asking them to do. Show a willingness to do this. Adding talent now that could be around for that core or could be flipped for talent to add to it is incredibly important. The Nats have been adding guys like Laroche. Or, and I know this is salt in the wound, adding someone by the name of Matt Capps in FA for a one year deal and flipping him for Wilson Ramos.

You're right....I want the Twins to emulate the Nationals in MANY ways. That's the whole problem!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    I emailed Doogie about this topic and here is his response. I find it curious that he does not have firm reporting right now if this is an actual offer.

Jesse -- I wasn't able to squeeze that out of my contact, just that if he wants to be a Twin, it'll happen. My hunch: there is a firm offer on the table. But because I didn't hear that, didn't write it.

Doogie

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 3:24 PM
    To: Wolfson, Darren [[email protected]]
    Subject: Question on Saunders Story
    Hi Doogie,

Love your work on Channel 5 and AM 1500. Quick question about the Saunders story, have the Twins made an actual firm offer or are they still in the conversation stage, ex. Have they told him “1 Year, $5 million, $3 million in incentives” or have they said “We might have some interest in a one year deal if you are willing to come here.”? You have made a number of comments this offseason about the Twins and their curious process this year of talking to free agents but not offering contracts. Thanks!

Jesse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    MLB Trade Rumors, re-ran Doogie's blurb about the Twins being interested in Saunders for one year. I didn't see any new information on the MTR sight so my only conclusion is they must be openly campaigning for the Twins to get him.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    I emailed Doogie about this topic and here is his response. I find it curious that he does not have firm reporting right now if this is an actual offer.
    Well done, Jesse. Let me get this straight, Doogie printed a hunch like it was a firm offer, but folds immediately when politely pushed into a corner? Exemplary for supposed breaking mountainous "repertorial evidence" signifying very little in breaking molehill substance.

Is this what a "source", who is supposedly the player's agent, would say to a reporter? Methinks more like what St Antony would say.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    From Neal
    SAUNDERS UPDATE: There were reports a couple weeks ago that things were heating up between the Twins Joe Saunders but that wasn't the case. In fact, the sides have had little contact in recent weeks.The Twins remain interested, but they are not going to give Saunders a three-year deal. They would do a two-year deal if the money was right. I'm sensing that the Twins would prefer to sign Saunders to a one-year deal with an option for a second year.
    Unsigned players should be getting antsy now that camp is just around the corner, so prices should drop.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    From Neal SAUNDERS UPDATE: There were reports a couple weeks ago that things were heating up between the Twins Joe Saunders but that wasn't the case. In fact, the sides have had little contact in recent weeks.The Twins remain interested, but they are not going to give Saunders a three-year deal. They would do a two-year deal if the money was right. I'm sensing that the Twins would prefer to sign Saunders to a one-year deal with an option for a second year.
    Unsigned players should be getting antsy now that camp is just around the corner, so prices should drop. [/FONT][/SIZE]
    Skeptics Dilemma. Doogie or LEN3?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Is anyone noticing the fact that there is no evidence that we have actually offered him a contract (he only mentions a hunch)? Sound familiar?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Is anyone noticing the fact that there is no evidence that we have actually offered him a contract (he only mentions a hunch)? Sound familiar?
    They would have offered him a contract, a more than competitive one at that, but he just hates Minnesota and preemptively rejected it before it even had the chance to see the light of day.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910