Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rays on the move?

How about the Rays move to Miami and get the new stadium, and the Marlins relocate. I think there's better baseball markets for either team, but the new ballpark in Miami isn't going away. Give them the better team and let another city with real owners run the Marlins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I have a very interesting idea that might be acceptable for everyone.

1. Tampa moves to Minnesota.
    2. Minnesota moves to Montreal. The Pohlad sons also leave and a new owner takes over in MN, the team name Twins would stay here and the Expos are reborn.
    3. Miami gets one last chance to keep baseball in Florida with new ownership.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I just looked up the biggest TV markets, since that seems to be a major source of revenue. I'm surprised to find Tampa-St. Pete is 13th. That's two ABOVE Mpls-St. Paul.

The biggest one without a team is #19 - Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne. I can't imagine the Marlins would be thrilled with that, but it makes some sense. Orlando could definitely build them a stadium, I would think.

And right after them is Portland, which has a pretty successful AAA team.
    I think Portland actually lost their AAA team due to lack of support. I think I recall reading that they turned their ballpark in to a soccer stadium and they sold the team to someone who moved it to the southwest somewhere.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Monterrey, Mexico would seem to be a possibility as their Mexican League team attendance surpasses any American minor league team's. Also, they would virtually become a national team as opposed to a regional team so would have great TV and licensing potential. They already play in a 27,000 seat facility (below) so could put in a few extra outfield seats to easily expand to 33,000 - 35,000 seats.
    mi gusto = i =)
    Attachment 3130

mi gusto = i like =)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    zap north dakota ....after a few more 90 loss seasons zap would have more fans attending then minneapolis

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I just looked up the biggest TV markets, since that seems to be a major source of revenue. I'm surprised to find Tampa-St. Pete is 13th. That's two ABOVE Mpls-St. Paul.

The biggest one without a team is #19 - Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne. I can't imagine the Marlins would be thrilled with that, but it makes some sense. Orlando could definitely build them a stadium, I would think.

And right after them is Portland, which has a pretty successful AAA team.

It's an interesting list. I think the smallest is Milwaukee at #35. New Orleans is #53. They'd make an interesting choice.

Right after that is Sacramento, who is about to lose a basketball team. (Which, BTW, is one ahead of St. Louis?)
    ---That is an interesting list, but metro area market and potential viewing audience are not the same thing. Certainly, the Twins viewing audience extends well beyond the Twin Cities metro area.

In Sacramento, the potential viewing audience probably does not extend much beyond that with 2 teams in the SF Bay Area.

In Nashville, they could become more the TN state team, kind of like the Twins in MN. So their potential TV audience includes not only Nashville but the whole state, which has 3 other cities on that list (Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga).

The Orlando thing makes sense, but I have a feeling that if the Rays relocate, it will be out of the state of Florida.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, if the Rays move, it would seem foolish to have them move to another Florida city. Honestly,ML baseball doesn't belong in Florida. Both Miami and Tampa have proven this. The state is good for spring training and minor league ball but not ML. I would say they should move the Marlins as well but with that new stadium, which was a complete waste of money, moving them is not an option. Montreal would be the most logical choice.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    A lot of possibilities although most have issues and drawbacks. My sentimental side likes the Expos. I've always like Portland and NC for potential sports teams also.

Montreal
    Vancouver
    NC
    TN
    Portland
    SLC
    New Orleans
    New Jersey
    Las Vegas
    A 3rd Texas team
    OKC
    Sacramento

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    I know this may surprise folks based on my personal team alliance, but I would be all in on the idea of a team in North Carolina. There's a very intense baseball fan base there. Yes, they're typically Braves fans right now, but you'd be surprised how mixed the state is. It's akin to South Dakota - yes, the Twins are most popular, but they don't dominate the market like you would figure based on geography. Plus, to me, the biggest benefit to my team is that messing with their broadcast area may be reason to renegotiate the TV deal for the Braves, widely considered the worst team TV deal in professional sports.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought I read that the Rays are obligated to play at Tropicana until 2027.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    You would think if they relocate, MLB would first look to keep them in the eastern part of the country unless they want to force some rather awkward division realignment. Can't imagine the highly influencial Yankees and Red Sox would be thrilled with having 17 additional West Coast games that only true night owls will view. I also doubt the Indians or Tigers would sit still while being forced to move to the wealthy and loaded AL West.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    You would think if they relocate, MLB would first look to keep them in the eastern part of the country unless they want to force some rather awkward division realignment. Can't imagine the highly influencial Yankees and Red Sox would be thrilled with having 17 additional West Coast games that only true night owls will view. I also doubt the Indians or Tigers would sit still while being forced to move to the wealthy and loaded AL West.
    ---I'm sure everyone would prefer to avoid it, but If there were a division realignment that forced an AL Central team to move to the west, it would not be either of the two in the eastern time zone.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I have a very interesting idea that might be acceptable for everyone.

1. Tampa moves to Minnesota.
    2. Minnesota moves to Montreal. The Pohlad sons also leave and a new owner takes over in MN, the team name Twins would stay here and the Expos are reborn.
    3. Miami gets one last chance to keep baseball in Florida with new ownership.
    Can the new owner of the Twins be Mark Cuban? Please!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12