Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upton to Atlanta

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts

Upton to Atlanta

Hmmmm...I know the national media are all ripping on Arizona on this one, but I think the Braves gave up a solid group for Upton.

Justin Upton and Chris Johnson

for

Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, Zeke Spruill, and Nick Ahmed

Depending on your source, there are some saying the Braves made this move without give up a single top 5 prospect (though Sickels has Spruill #5 and Ahmed #7 in the system). I just really think Martin Prado is an underrated player for what he brings to the table. He's very solid defensively at multiple positions, has a good bat, and he's a great clubhouse guy. I also like Delgado more than most, seeing him as being a very solid mid-rotation guy for a long time.

All that said, the Braves just got Justin Upton. The "What are you Up2" tweets are annoying already, but I do like the "Up, Up, and a Hey" comment on the new Braves outfield. The NL East will be fun to watch next year.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've read a few other message boards, and people are chastising the Braves for the talent that they gave up. But going forward, it will be interesting to see how the brothers Upton adapt to playing in the same outfield with one another.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Braves get a steal. Not just a good contract for a 5 tool guy, but I feel like they gave up little. They are going for it this year. Delgado is a 4/5 maybe a 3 if he reaches his ceiling and even most people don't think that is true. I think the Diamondbacks are crazy. You have now given up two top level talents for a bag of nothing (actually the Santana trade brought back nothing). I do think this will go down as a very lopsided trade and the Braves have to be an early pick to challenge the Nationals for the National league Pennant.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Braves get a steal. Not just a good contract for a 5 tool guy, but I feel like they gave up little. They are going for it this year. Delgado is a 4/5 maybe a 3 if he reaches his ceiling and even most people don't think that is true. I think the Diamondbacks are crazy. You have now given up two top level talents for a bag of nothing (actually the Santana trade brought back nothing). I do think this will go down as a very lopsided trade and the Braves have to be an early pick to challenge the Nationals for the National league Pennant.
    This is incorrect, or Michael Bourn would have been brought back on a one-year deal. They're going for it for the next 3-5 years, and they have the young talent to do just that. I just REALLY like Prado, so I hate to give him up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Compared to the reported return from the Mariners, AZ seemed to take a bit of a discount this time around. When you consider that Prado is a rental player the deal looks poor, it looks quite a bit better after we hear that they are already working on an extension. Since when was Deldado viewed as a back of the rotaion arm? When we were all discussing Span going to Atlanta, he was one of the top names mentioned and most people here would have been happy to have him all while we were clamoring for high ceiling arms.

Delgado's got a floor (with obvious caveats of if he doesn't blow up or blow out) of a mid-rotation starter. He doesn't have the upside of an elite ace, but he could be a solid innings eater that gives you 6-7 k/9 and a ton of grounders as he learns to pitch more in the zone. His stuff has wicked movement, and he's been able to pitch just outside the zone coming up, and no one could touch it. Now he needs to work on locating that stuff in the zone to create contact on his heavy fastball. As he does that, he'll be very, very good. There are a lot of Braves fans who would have preferred to include Teheran in the deal over Delgado, so Delgado's no chump change.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a pretty fair trade for me. Pitching is expensive and Ahmed is great SS prospect that is hard to find.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    For those who like the WAR stat:

Just last year, Prado had a WAR of 5.9, Justin Upton 2.5.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Braves look like they're stocking up their outfield almost as much as the Angels. Should be an interesting season seeing how all these mega-moves pan out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    For those who like the WAR stat:

Just last year, Prado had a WAR of 5.9, Justin Upton 2.5.
    Just to show you how useless one season of WAR is:

JUp - 6.4
    Prado - 1.6

Over their careers (same number of games) they have similar WAR stats. The reason that you trade for Upton is that he could put up elite middle of the order numbers. He's so frustrating with that talent.

I consider this trade to be 1 yr of Prado (possible extension though), a decent MOR starter prospect and some spare parts. It's pretty clear that AZ had decided to trade Upton (and Bauer) and took the best deal offered.

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Delgado's got a floor (with obvious caveats of if he doesn't blow up or blow out) of a mid-rotation starter. He doesn't have the upside of an elite ace, but he could be a solid innings eater that gives you 6-7 k/9 and a ton of grounders as he learns to pitch more in the zone. His stuff has wicked movement, and he's been able to pitch just outside the zone coming up, and no one could touch it. Now he needs to work on locating that stuff in the zone to create contact on his heavy fastball. As he does that, he'll be very, very good. There are a lot of Braves fans who would have preferred to include Teheran in the deal over Delgado, so Delgado's no chump change.
    I'm not so sure that Delgado's floor isn't more of a very good reliever. He has a good fastball and change, but no breaking ball and iffy control. Even if he tightens up his control so he stays a starter, he's still a 2-pitch guy (also known as a 4 starter).
    Last edited by Mark_RM; 01-24-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Just to show you how useless one season of WAR is:

JUp - 6.4
    Prado - 1.6

Over their careers (same number of games) they have similar WAR stats. The reason that you trade for Upton is that he could put up elite middle of the order numbers. He's so frustrating with that talent.

I consider this trade to be 1 yr of Prado (possible extension though), a decent MOR starter prospect and some spare parts. It's pretty clear that AZ had decided to trade Upton (and Bauer) and took the best deal offered.
    are you under the impression I was picking a side on this trade? I was just throwing some info out there for those who think Arizona got completely robbed. I think Prado and Upton aren't that far apart, especially when you consider Prado's a starter quality player who plays multiple spots.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-24-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_RM View Post
    I'm not so sure that Delgado's floor isn't more of a very good reliever. He has a good fastball and change, but no breaking ball and iffy control. Even if he tightens up his control so he stays a starter, he's still a 2-pitch guy (also known as Nick Blackburn from a few years ago).
    This is kind of what I was thinking, from what I understand in a scouting perspective, floor is the worst case scenario barring him turning into Rick Ankiel or Brandon Webb the last few years.

That is something you want to consider when evaluating a pitching prospect. At times it is better to take a guy with a ceiling of a 3 and a floor of a 5 over a guy with a ceiling of a 1 and a floor of middle relief.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Carl Pavano will be sidelined 6-8 weeks after suffering a ruptured spleen when he slipped and fell while shoveling snow on his driveway.

Well, that sounds about right for the oft-injured right-hander. Pavano had been set to sign somewhere soon to compete for a rotation spot, but teams will likely wait until he's healthy now. The Rockies and Mets were among the clubs that had shown interest in the veteran. Pavano is coming off a 2012 season where he posted a 6.00 ERA and dealt with shoulder issues.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can't make this stuff up.

Anything can happen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    are you under the impression I was picking a side on this trade? I was just throwing some info out there for those who think Arizona got completely robbed. I think Prado and Upton aren't that far apart, especially when you consider Prado's a starter quality player who plays multiple spots.
    Usually people don't throw out worthless statistics when trying to make a point. Prado is a pretty solid player but for this to be an okay deal then the DBacks have to sign him to an extension.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, if not signed to an extension, then this is a bad trade for Arizona. Arizona had excess outfielders and turned their best one in something before he walked.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Carl Pavano will be sidelined 6-8 weeks after suffering a ruptured spleen when he slipped and fell while shoveling snow on his driveway.

Well, that sounds about right for the oft-injured right-hander. Pavano had been set to sign somewhere soon to compete for a rotation spot, but teams will likely wait until he's healthy now. The Rockies and Mets were among the clubs that had shown interest in the veteran. Pavano is coming off a 2012 season where he posted a 6.00 ERA and dealt with shoulder issues.
    With nothing but money and time, this is how I imagine a ballplayer spends his offseason

Funny Fishing Compilation With Bill Dance - YouTube

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Usually people don't throw out worthless statistics when trying to make a point. Prado is a pretty solid player but for this to be an okay deal then the DBacks have to sign him to an extension.
    YOU call the WAR useless. Notice I said FOR THOSE WHO VALUE THE WAR STAT.

Anyway, glad to know you feel you know me well enough to just make assumptions on what I'm thinking. I do this quite often, all over the internet where I talk sports...sometimes, I just throw info out there. Like here you go...here's something to ponder...
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Agreed, if not signed to an extension, then this is a bad trade for Arizona. Arizona had excess outfielders and turned their best one in something before he walked.
    Upton is signed through 2015. There wasn't any need to rush because of an imminent walk year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast