Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcum To Mets

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    How would you feel if it was the exact same offseason but it was McCarthy or Marcum instead of Correia? No additional moves.
    Is this a serious question?

Past 3 years of WAR accumulation, IP and age:

Marcum 7.8 (age 31) 520 IP
    McCarthy 6.6* (age 29) 282 IP [*523] (WAR # achieved in 2 seasons, as he missed 2010/ adjusted average projection)
    Correia 0.8 (age 32) 470 IP
    Last edited by jokin; 01-24-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Is this a serious question?

Past 3 years of WAR accumulation, IP and age:

Marcum 7.8 (age 31) 520 IP
    McCarthy 6.6* (age 29) 282 IP [*523] (WAR # achieved in 2 seasons, as he missed 2010/ adjusted average projection)
    Correia 0.8 (age 32) 470 IP
    I think you missed the point of the question. McCarthy and Marcum are the two guys I wanted. I was asking if one of those guys was signed instead of Correia would this be an acceptable offseason to someone who earlier today called for Ryan to be fired. This builds on my earlier point that most of the complaints still come back to the Correia signing.

I am aware McCarthy and Marcum are better than Correia.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    The trades were necessary, good moves. But framing them as an either/or with a more aggressive approach in free agency makes no sense.
    Has anyone ever framed it this way? Or are you pummeling a strawman?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    I think you missed the point of the question. McCarthy and Marcum are the two guys I wanted. I was asking if one of those guys was signed instead of Correia would this be an acceptable offseason to someone who earlier today called for Ryan to be fired. This builds on my earlier point that most of the complaints still come back to the Correia signing.

The holes in the roster are so huge that one player is not going to make the difference. If they had signed one of your guys rather than Correia, the focus of the wrath would be elsewhere,

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Kudos to Marcum's agent. If Marcum stays healthy and if the Mets have some defense behind him Marcum may get a nice payday. Even if the Mets came in lower than a mythical Twins offer he would stand to make more than the money back with good numbers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So, how long before Kubel is traded to the Tigers? In less than a week?

Just kidding...

I am gonna go ahead and predict that Kevin Correia pitches more innings than Shaun Marcum this year and there is a less than .8 disparity in their ERAs. No adjustment for different leagues needed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Kudos to Marcum's agent. If Marcum stays healthy and if the Mets have some defense behind him Marcum may get a nice payday. Even if the Mets came in lower than a mythical Twins offer he would stand to make more than the money back with good numbers.
    Mets outfield, if you combine offense and defense, could end up being the worst OF ever...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    I am gonna go ahead and predict that Kevin Correia pitches more innings than Shaun Marcum this year and there is a less than .8 disparity in their ERAs. No adjustment for different leagues needed.
    I give your prediction a like for the pure ballsiness of it...

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    The holes in the roster are so huge that one player is not going to make the difference. If they had signed one of your guys rather than Correia, the focus of the wrath would be elsewhere,
    Troll-strike, yet again. Shifting definitions and declarative intentions more frequently than a Sahara sand dune.

Upgrading your rotation (the single most important and fastest way in improving the W-L bottom line) with a quality asset actually valued by the rest of the league, one player at a time, is just a fool's errand on the part of TR./sarc
    Last edited by jokin; 01-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    It seems that reality is appearing. All those "promises" in October were simply empty as the "Kool-Aid" was being poured for the eager fanbase to lap up. The real plan was a significant payroll reduction with a small number of [relatively] inexpensive place-holders acquired to erase the image of a failed pitching staff. Substantial improvement wasn't part of the plan, just different faces that had experience at the major league level to replace the previous rotation. I project that 2014 will be much the same--but with an emergence of some of the "prospects" at the major league level. The 2013 season will be as much of a throw-away as 2012--but with a lower payroll and a slightly different flavor of "Kool-Aid".

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    I think your crystal ball might be broken.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ryan bites the hand that feeds him, The Season Ticket Holders!

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I give your prediction a like for the pure ballsiness of it...
    Well, it happened last year (if you use FIP/xFIP)...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    As to a refocus of wrath, I'm not so sure this is true of all but a few. On the second point, it's a matter of definition. And expectations. My expectation has been modest. The notion of CONTENDING in 2013 is and has been a pipe dream, even if we added three pitchers not named Greinke and Sanchez in my opinion. So, I was hoping that, when I turned on the game, I'd have close to a 50% chance of seeing a win. To do that, Ryan needed to sign TWO guys as good or better than Diamond, and trade for another. I would be happy with that, for 2013, especially given how much Meyer and May add to my hope for 2015 and beyond. Being COMPETITIVE, game to game, would sure be nice.

By current appearances, consistantly competing game to game is not gonna happen, and I'm feeling let down. Now, appearances often fail to match reality, so I'm willing to see the results first before calling for Ryan's head. It could be we're all not quite as astute as we think we are, so I'm willing to wait and see if Ryan gets lucky. If 2013 is a third ugly season in a row, I'll shrug it off, knowing what's in the pipeline.

But yeah, it sure looks ugly right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Well, it happened last year (if you use FIP/xFIP)...
    if...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Thank goodness for drjim. Without him we wouldn't have had our obligatory "people are complaining too much" comment. No thread is complete without that annoying, whiny crap these days. God forbid passionate fans vent. You'll note that we blew up in celebration of his trades but overall we have been given a steaming pile of BS to chew on about this offseason and we're rightly pissed.

Get over it cast of characters saying that crap. Posy a fairy tale thread to be positive in and leave reality to the rest of us.
    Complaining about the complaining about the complaining is way, way cooler than complaining about the complaining.

And almost everyone thinks they're a realist. Writing it down (over and over and over and over) doesn't make it any more or less true.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Ryan bites the hand that feeds him, The Season Ticket Holders!
    People don't like being lied to straight to their faces...
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I hadn't realized this. It's great news, though! Duct tape fixes everything!

Edit: Need to bump up fixes to 1002 and add Twins Franchise.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries

Your question therefore is incompetent, just like the signing of Correia. The acquisition of the 3 young prospects said that they were giving up on the present year and 2014. Signing a well below mediocre pitcher- for 2 years to boot- in the 2 year interim flies in the face of the rebuild logic from the first 2 trades. Why shouldn't most of the complaints come back to Correia? Ryan himself, just this week, delivered a sheepish mea culpa and pre-shifted the inevitable blame on this ludicrous signing to some unknown men behind the curtain. Incompetence, asleep at the wheel, time passed him by, pretzel logic, however it is phrased, the criticism of the Twins FO and ownership is well-placed and deserved.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast