Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcum To Mets

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to get excited about the Twins, when it's plain to be seen that the F.O. isn't even trying to put a major league team on the field.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,525 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I think we can all agree on the need for better pitching. I don't necessarily agree it was possible to buy much this offseason. All the guys who signed for 1 or 2 years are different shades of meh.

The others weren't coming barring a vast overpay.
    So what if one year deals are for "meh" players? The Twins had the worst pitching staff in baseball over the past two years. At this point, "meh" is a vast improvement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
    I don't think signing Marcum would move the needle on attendance. But you are right the team has fundamental problems that have to be resolved and attendance will continue to drop.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    In nurse's defense, he's primarily who I had in mind when making that comment, so I'm guilty of baiting in that regard.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,193 Times in 636 Posts
    I've given Ryan the benefit of the doubt on many things, mainly just taking a wait and see approach when it came to payroll spending, I actually am in favour of spending the money and believe it's the prudent thing to do, if only to increase the entertainment value for the fans.

Missing Baker for $6 million hurt but not the end of the world by any means.The Correia signing was a kick in the nuts, but still, however hopefully or naively, I was willing to wait. This however, if anywhere close to $10 million for one year is true, is utterly inexcusable and like a thick loogie to the face of any fan.

Marcum is nothing more than bland, middle of the rotation stuff on a good team, nothing to get to worked up about. But for a team so desperately in need of showing it's fans it actually gives a rat's ass about them, he represents an easy solution for that, and at one year does absolutely nothing to hinder anything. It's insulting.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    So what if one year deals are for "meh" players? The Twins had the worst pitching staff in baseball over the past two years. At this point, "meh" is a vast improvement.
    They signed two of them and traded for another.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I don't think signing Marcum would move the needle on attendance. But you are right the team has fundamental problems that have to be resolved and attendance will continue to drop.
    Marcum makes the team better. A better team means more wins. More wins means better attendance.

And if the cause is so hopeless that there's no point in even trying, Willingham and Doumit should be playing somewhere else right now.

No matter how you look at it, Ryan has done a really bad job with the Major League roster this offseason.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    They signed two of them and traded for another.
    They didn't sign two "meh" players. They signed one player whose shoulder is duct-taped to his torso and another guy who couldn't sniff mediocrity in the AL without divine intervention.

Totally acceptable moves if they're your 3rd, 4th, or 5th free agent acquisitions. But as your 1st and 2nd, they are abominable.

I think we can all agree on the need for better pitching. I don't necessarily agree it was possible to buy much this offseason. All the guys who signed for 1 or 2 years are different shades of meh.

The others weren't coming barring a vast overpay.
    This is true but most of the guys we have are different shades of Blech! One or two years to at least be marginally more competitive is something the team could have easliy afforded and there isn't much reason for them to have not done it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    But there is a Major League franchise playing in Minnesota and the payroll is over $20m below what it was two years ago.
    I'm with you...on your whole post, but I thought I'd point out it's even more than 20M below. We're about 32M below what payroll was 2 years ago. 112M in 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    They didn't sign two "meh" players. They signed one player whose shoulder is duct-taped to his torso and another guy who couldn't sniff mediocrity in the AL without divine intervention.

Totally acceptable moves if they're your 3rd, 4th, or 5th free agent acquisitions. But as your 1st and 2nd, they are abominable.
    funny

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 619 Times in 344 Posts
    I dont know about calling for heads but it damn sure calls for a good goddamn explanation. This excuse making BS just doesnt cut it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    What if Marcum turns out to be great. The Twins could have resign him to be the ace long term, Now he is lost forever. You have to invest in a good pitcher when that is what you need so badly.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I'm with you...on your whole post, but I thought I'd point out it's even more than 20M below. We're about 32M below what payroll was 2 years ago. 112M in 2011.
    I give them a pass on 2011 because they said they were over their preferred budget mark in that season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I give them a pass on 2011 because they said they were over their preferred budget mark in that season.
    Thanks for the clarification

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They signed one player whose shoulder is duct-taped to his torso ...
    I hadn't realized this. It's great news, though! Duct tape fixes everything!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I hadn't realized this. It's great news, though! Duct tape fixes everything!
    amazing stuff, that duct tape...that and Simple Green. That stuff gets every damn stain out :-)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 498 Posts
    Unfortunately for him the duct tape needs to be reapplied every couple of months.

Now Gorilla tape.....that stuff is amazing.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    What if Marcum turns out to be great. The Twins could have resign him to be the ace long term, Now he is lost forever. You have to invest in a good pitcher when that is what you need so badly.
    I understand your overall point but let's keep thing a little bit in perspective, Marcum is no "Ace" and if one year turns out to be true, that 's hardly forever. Not that I believe they'll sign him next year if they have the opportunity mind you.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Bummer. I had held out some small hope they would sign him.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast