Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 296

Thread: Marcum To Mets

  1. #261
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,916
    Like
    451
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    On the major league level... Not as much as the minor league level. However adding Worley and presumably Gibson for 125+ innings is going to help. We have no idea what we are going to get out of Pelfrey however if healthy he is an upgrade over Deduno and Walters.

    Projections are just well....projections and we can argue that all day. Pitching will be better barring injury.
    We're talking about the major league level. Meyer and May were good additions for the future but I have no idea how signing Marcum, or someone like him, has anything to do with blocking them or any of these other burgeoning minor league talents you feel we have.

    Pitching will be better? It can't get much worse.

  2. #262
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    . We have no idea what we are going to get out of Pelfrey however if healthy he is an upgrade over Deduno and Walters.

    Projections are just well....projections and we can argue that all day. Pitching will be better barring injury.
    All of it, so true. And adding Marcum, as well, for even better reasons, would be even a more significant upgrade over the AAAAs.

    Where are you going here?

    The Twins have plenty of dollars available, have the worst pitching staff in all of baseball, and we are still(?) worried about 3 filler guys (throw DeVries into the mix, too) who came to, (and will likely leave from), the Twins as probably their last major league stop. From AA on up, there are only, maybe, 3 other guys who end up in mostly remote consideration for a future #5 SP role.

  3. #263
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,924
    Like
    995
    Liked 1,216 Times in 726 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    "Trust the leaks but not the silence"
    That goes into my quotes file. Too bad I have to attribute it to an anonymized login.

  4. #264
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,163
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs had a fun Marcum article.

    Mets Grab Themselves a Cheap Shaun Marcum | FanGraphs Baseball

    Basically nothing different than what has been said in this thread, but he talks about how favorable this signing was compared to both Pelfrey and Correia. Aside from those two, Scott Baker was the only comp he gave, so in his opinion, the Twins had two of the three free agent signings that were bad enough to make this look like a steal.

  5. #265
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs had a fun Marcum article.

    Mets Grab Themselves a Cheap Shaun Marcum | FanGraphs Baseball

    Basically nothing different than what has been said in this thread, but he talks about how favorable this signing was compared to both Pelfrey and Correia. Aside from those two, Scott Baker was the only comp he gave, so in his opinion, the Twins had two of the three free agent signings that were bad enough to make this look like a steal.
    Ouch, just read the article, did you mean "fun" in the "laugh in the face of your own adversity" sense?

    I'm guessing that that's going to leave a nasty butt-hurt mark on the yahoo Twins apologists.

  6. #266
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs had a fun Marcum article.

    Mets Grab Themselves a Cheap Shaun Marcum | FanGraphs Baseball

    Basically nothing different than what has been said in this thread, but he talks about how favorable this signing was compared to both Pelfrey and Correia. Aside from those two, Scott Baker was the only comp he gave, so in his opinion, the Twins had two of the three free agent signings that were bad enough to make this look like a steal.
    Thanks for the link!

    The best part:

    'Kevin flipping Correia signed for two years and $10 million, and he’s Kevin Correia. On that basis alone, it seems like the Mets got themselves a pretty good deal. On that basis alone, it seems like Marcum should’ve had more of a market.'

  7. #267
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    411
    Like
    0
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    A few things. You dont have to bold and underline everything. I do agree that it is because we havent offered equal contracts as other bidders. Getting top flight talent through free agency requires you to overbid. It is in the opinion that in the past 20 years, we havent offered equal money to top flight talent. That is correct.

    Aw what the hell, I will throw in italics. Morris probably signed with the Twins because he was at the end of his career and teams probably didnt think he had anything left in the tank. Sounds like a reoccuring theme doesnt it?
    No more bold and thank you for the answer. You are at least the first person to say that the Twins have never offered equal pay or top dollar during the last 28 years. Extremely hard to believe, but just as possible as FAs not wanting to come to the cold of the Northern states.

    Top college players generally come from warmer climate (SEC / ACC / PAC / Etc.) universities. Players generally want warm weather cities to play out their careers if given the choice. That's my view as to why players don't come. Dome or no dome.

  8. #268
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    1,749
    Like
    485
    Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    The best part:

    'Kevin flipping Correia signed for two years and $10 million, and he’s Kevin Correia. On that basis alone, it seems like the Mets got themselves a pretty good deal. On that basis alone, it seems like Marcum should’ve had more of a market.'
    Yes. Was about to put up a link and that quote earlier. The open and implied disdain for the Twins' free agency offseason seem to grow every week.

  9. #269
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,071
    Like
    97
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    One pitcher will be less than a year removed from TJ surgery. One pitcher threw 120+ innings in 2012 including 8 consecutive starts to finish the season. So while you are right, Marcum could fall down in the shower or slip shoveling his drive and rupture his spleen, logic says Marcum is less of a health risk in 2013.

    Here's another way of looking at it. Would you prefer Gibson or Wimmers going forward?
    I just quoted it so that the guys trying to defend the indefensible respond to this. It really hits the crux of the problem with the idea that Marcum is "more risky".

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    The bar is set extremely low. Just better isn't good enough. Significantly better is what we need.
    I agree. However, we need to make sure it is for the long run. The dearth of good, young(fiscally controllable) starters has been terrible.

  11. #271
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Yes. Was about to put up a link and that quote earlier. The open and implied disdain for the Twins' free agency offseason seem to grow every week.
    And look, it's not just pessimistic Twins fans that feel that way...

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    All of it, so true. And adding Marcum, as well, for even better reasons, would be even a more significant upgrade over the AAAAs.

    Where are you going here?

    The Twins have plenty of dollars available, have the worst pitching staff in all of baseball, and we are still(?) worried about 3 filler guys (throw DeVries into the mix, too) who came to, (and will likely leave from), the Twins as probably their last major league stop. From AA on up, there are only, maybe, 3 other guys who end up in mostly remote consideration for a future #5 SP role.
    I was pro Marcum. Just the amount of butt hurt over a guy who was going to give you (possibly) one year and be gone for better riches if he pitched well is insane.

    I'm resigned to the fact we will not compete next year and I don't think he brought us that much closer to competing. My excitement with the upcoming year is hopefully seeing some progression out of guys like Hendricks, Parmelee, Plouffe. Hopefully some extensive time for Gibson, Arcia, Hicks, etc. Seeing how Worley does against AL hitters.

    And again I don't think it was about $$$. I understand we have a "projected" payroll and there are no rules saying that TR has to spend $100mil.

  13. #273
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,071
    Like
    97
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    And look, it's not just pessimistic Twins fans that feel that way...
    Right now old nurse, 70charger, and others are scolding them for their unnecessary negativity and their inability to understand the vast conspiracy by baseball FAs against our poor, misunderstood ball club.

  14. #274
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    I was pro Marcum. Just the amount of butt hurt over a guy who was going to give you (possibly) one year and be gone for better riches if he pitched well is insane.

    I'm resigned to the fact we will not compete next year and I don't think he brought us that much closer to competing. My excitement with the upcoming year is hopefully seeing some progression out of guys like Hendricks, Parmelee, Plouffe. Hopefully some extensive time for Gibson, Arcia, Hicks, etc. Seeing how Worley does against AL hitters.

    And again I don't think it was about $$$. I understand we have a "projected" payroll and there are no rules saying that TR has to spend $100mil.
    Actually, the definition of insanity is "doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results". Call me crazy, but I come down on the side of Albert Einstein over TR and Panolo on this matter.

  15. #275
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Right now old nurse, 70charger, and others are scolding them for their unnecessary negativity and their inability to understand the vast conspiracy by baseball FAs against our poor, misunderstood ball club.
    Is that where they are? What with their conspicuous lack of rah-rah chatter today, I thought they'd gone to ground, knowing all the "personal insults" they'd have to yet again, endure.

  16. #276
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by panolo View Post
    Not how the game works in mid market baseball and you know that. The Twins don't just jettison folks. I have often wondered why someone has stayed at a level too long and not gotten a shot at moving up. Lotsa times it's a philosophical issue and many others there simply isn't enough room at the next level.
    That's exactly how it works. The Twins, like every other team, do not prioritize guys in their late 20s who haven't been dominant at any level. Ryan is not going to let Sam-freakin-Deduno block May or Meyer if he steamrolls through the low minors. You don't let 30 year olds get in the way of early 20s flamethrowers. That's just common sense and Ryan, despite my differences of opinion with him, is not a moron.

  17. #277
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    555
    Like
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    No more bold and thank you for the answer. You are at least the first person to say that the Twins have never offered equal pay or top dollar during the last 28 years. Extremely hard to believe, but just as possible as FAs not wanting to come to the cold of the Northern states.

    Top college players generally come from warmer climate (SEC / ACC / PAC / Etc.) universities. Players generally want warm weather cities to play out their careers if given the choice. That's my view as to why players don't come. Dome or no dome.
    Hey its all good. Guys around here take notice when its reported when a guy signed that the Twins don't make an offer to. If this offseason is an indicator.. the overall results would blow your mind. They literally don't offer money to any healthy quality pitching.

  18. #278
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,146
    Like
    62
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I guess we all need to wear tin-foil hats and believe that FA prices are set at GM meetings and that any team that "overpays" has to pay a penalty to MLB. The Twins have been conditioned to strictly adhere to this policy because the Pohlads refuse to return money to the "shared revenue kitty". The end result is that the Twins never offer more than "the price" to FAs and therefore are routinely refused by the "better" players because they refuse to play in East Dakota unless they are "overpaid". We know this because Ryan has stated the Twins won't "overpay" and that our location is deemed undesireable by MLB players (because we are Twins fans and are familar with the area).
    There! It's out in the open--a giant conspiracy that ensures that quality FAs won't sign with the Twins. [Though it doesn't explain why Twins players {not from here} sign lucrative contract extentions]--unless the conspiracy is even greater to include collusion with all FAs that make it unlikely that FAs (those of any quality) to sign with a new team! This policy does not apply to FAs assigned to "The Dumpster" or "The Leper Colony".

  19. #279
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,916
    Like
    451
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I guess we all need to wear tin-foil hats and believe that FA prices are set at GM meetings and that any team that "overpays" has to pay a penalty to MLB. The Twins have been conditioned to strictly adhere to this policy because the Pohlads refuse to return money to the "shared revenue kitty". The end result is that the Twins never offer more than "the price" to FAs and therefore are routinely refused by the "better" players because they refuse to play in East Dakota unless they are "overpaid". We know this because Ryan has stated the Twins won't "overpay" and that our location is deemed undesireable by MLB players (because we are Twins fans and are familar with the area).
    There! It's out in the open--a giant conspiracy that ensures that quality FAs won't sign with the Twins. [Though it doesn't explain why Twins players {not from here} sign lucrative contract extentions]--unless the conspiracy is even greater to include collusion with all FAs that make it unlikely that FAs (those of any quality) to sign with a new team! This policy does not apply to FAs assigned to "The Dumpster" or "The Leper Colony".
    Wait until Alex Jones finds out about this!

  20. #280
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Wait until Alex Jones finds out about this!
    kwak kwak shuck a duck =)

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.