• TC

4 13.79%

Thread: Sorta Deep Thoughts

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorta Deep Thoughts

The Twins have released three commercials of Sorta Deep Thoughts. Joe Mauer (prankster), Ron Gardenhire (grandma), Bert Blyleven (retired numbers), Carl Pavano (no matter how hard you work), Justin Morneau (likes hitting HR) and TC Bear (laughs at us). I think these are great!! What do you think? Which is your favorite?

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer's is great, but I have to say that Morneau's stare down at the end was pretty funny and Pavano's smiling mustache is in.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

It's the Mauer one, and not just because it's Mauer, but because he subtly is making fun of himself for his total lack of charisma.

I've said this to the native Minn-E-soh-tans many times, and it usually receives blank stares in response: This guy has to be the most "invisible" $180 million athlete ever. Not just because of his on-field problems and whether he's worth the money he's being paid, but his whole persona and the local media's total willingness to let this guy go and do whatever he wants in total privacy. He's a hometown hero, right? The guy winters in Florida. You never hear about Joe Mauer "sightings". There's no tabloid presence on him. He's not visible in charity works or the community (which isn't to say that he doesn't do stuff like that more privately). Heck, if he goes on the DL for two months, you're lucky if he gives a single interview while he's gone. And this is the age cameraphones, internet blogs, and Twitter.

Compare that to Gretzky in 1988, where he was so big that he basically "outgrew" the city of Edmonton. Whatever, I guess it isn't necessarily good or bad, it's just amazing to me.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    (blank stare)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I don't really think that Mauer has too many "on-field problems" to worry about. The only concern is that he (like many, many players in baseball) gets injured from time to time. I think the fact that he is able to stay out of the tabloids and away from the media is a good thing for him. Some want that attention. Some don't. Granted, we all know the issues from his quietness last year and we all wanted him to be a little more public and upfront, but that's not him, it never has been and he shouldn't change who or what he is because of the contract... Way too many people change when they get money.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the TC one. It made me chuckle

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Not being a grinch, but the only recent twin territory commercials I've found fun or got me excited to watch the team was the days of Torii Hunter -- smashing a pinata at a kid's birthday party. These commercials are lame.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 83 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Not being a grinch, but the only recent twin territory commercials I've found fun or got me excited to watch the team was the days of Torii Hunter -- smashing a pinata at a kid's birthday party. These commercials are lame.
    Well, there are two grinches, I feel these commercials are nothing to get excited about or remember.
    Come on Twins, ya can do better then these "deep thoughts" commercials!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I voted for TC, just to be a goof.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerr View Post
    Well, there are two grinches, I feel these commercials are nothing to get excited about or remember.
    Come on Twins, ya can do better then these "deep thoughts" commercials!
    The only one I liked was with TK and the Indians fan.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I laughed out loud at the Mauer commercial. Of course, that may not be a particularly high bar to reach....