Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mackey: Low Risk or Not, Twins are Taking a Philosophical Gamble

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    I'm saying that from what I've seen, Correia is a similar type of pitcher to Pavano. I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with the fact he's a .116 career hitter and he's frequently pulled for a pinch hitter.
    Nope.

Whereas Pavano might not always give a "quality start", he was a guy that could recover and go 7 or 8 innings after giving up some runs early. Correia is not, and has never been, an "innings eater," and I find the fact that TR & Company are hoping for this to be laughable. "Innings eaters" do exactly what I said Pavano did, which is even in a "bad" start, he would pitch late into games.

In Pavano's best year with the Twins (2010), he threw over 100 pitches 17 times in 32 starts, and over 90 in 27 of 32 starts. Kevin Correia last year, threw 100+ pitches twice in 28 starts, 90+ in only half of those 28 starts. And the fact he might get pulled for a pinch hitter says more to me about what they expected to have happen if they sent him out for another inning, compared to saying "he didn't throw that many innings because he got pinch hit for". Take for instance another Pirates pitcher, A.J. Burnett. He threw 100+ pitches 18 times in 31 starts last year, and 90+ in 27 of 31. Most would classify A.J. Burnett as a better pitcher, right? I don't see this as a coincidence.

And if you look at Innings pitched during games in the same manner as I do for pitch counts above, you will see the same pattern. Correia has never gone deep into games, which is a trademark of "innings eaters" to me.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Its all very true, both ends of it. He MIGHT not have a chance to succeed and his career numbers would suggest that. But also, at $5 million, its not a horrible gamble for a team who coming into the off season, had 1 proven starting pitcher. Its a small gamble just like it was with Marquis last year. If it doesnt work out, it wont be a huge burden to just can the guy. And hopefully we can land Saunders, or maybe Hendricks and Gibson can impress, and we wont need this guy who has no chance to be above a number 5 starter. I would say, call Correia plan C or D...hopefully A or B materialize and work!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajstolt_09 View Post
    at $5 million, its not a horrible gamble for a team who coming into the off season, had 1 proven starting pitcher. Its a small gamble just like it was with Marquis last year. If it doesnt work out, it wont be a huge burden to just can the guy.
    Well, except for the $5.5M he's also owed in 2014...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 447 Times in 218 Posts
    I think I miss Dankind.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Pejorative? By calling you smug? Look, it's not at all classy to say "See there, I linked the dots for you, no charge." It's snotty and smug. I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking your tone. You use plenty of pejoratives throughout your post(s), and consistently condescend. Idea-dearth? Come on, man; you have no place to complain about the use of pejoratives.

Look, if you don't think I have any ideas, don't read my posts.
    It's like oldnurse had a son and named him Pseudo...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It's like oldnurse had a son and named him Pseudo...
    Thanks, I needed to reminded I lost my son.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    because you want to believe that the stats tell you everything you need to know about a player.
    Apparently you want to believe I believe that, despite my using no stats, other than games and innings pitched and this new-fangled one called "the outcome of the game".

Also, you threw out all those wins and losses by Pavano, but you didn't say what the score was when he left the game. Was it close? Did the bullpen make a close game not so close? What about the games he kept them in that were 2-1, 3-2, 4-3, etc...?
    You weren't talking about the 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 games. You asserted that he had some ability to stop giving up runs after giving up five or six. Unfortunately, if you look at the results, this ability doesn't show up. In his good season of 2010, in those six game where he gave up that many runs:

- April 18: (L 10-5) 6 runs in the top of the third, Gardy ran him out there again in the fourth where he lasted one-third more inning and was charged with another run before Burnett came in with the score 6-3
    - May 18: (L 11-2) Blue Jays scored 2, 2, 1, and 1 run in the first four innings. Gardy had seen enough and brought in Mahay to start the fifth with the score 6-1
    - July 6: (W 7-6) Blue Jays scored 1 in the third and 4 in the fifth to take a 5-2 lead. Twins came back to tie it in the sixth and scored another run to take the lead in the seventh, Pavano then gave up a leadoff homer to tie it up again, and after one more batter Gardy brought in Mijares. Twins came back with another run and Rauch finished with a save
    - August 19: (L 11-0) Pavano began the seventh inning behind 5-0 (two in the first, two in the third, one in the fifth), gave up two hits without recording an out to make it 6-0, Perkins came in and eventually allowed the seventh earned run to score
    - September 16: (W 8-5) Pavano carried a 6-2 lead into the sixth, gave up two homers and then a double to the first three batters making it 6-4, Gardy replaced him with Mijares and Guerrier who let the runner score to make it 6-5, Twins added two insurance runs in the ninth
    - September 25: (L 11-10) Going into the bottom of the fourth leading 5-2, Pavano coughed up the lead by allowing 5. Gardy let him finish the inning then brought in Perkins for the fifth. Twins scored five of their own, then allowed the Tigers to tie it, then they lost in the 13th.

My point is not to demean Pavano - these were his worst games in a very good season. You're the one who said he wasunusually able to battle back. Ron Gardenhire did not seem to share your confidence. I didn't locate any games that year where he gave up 5 runs in, say, the first two innings and then shot goose eggs for six or seven more.

And again, no arcane stats or anything. Just results from games. I approached these with an open mind, looking for evidence for what you asserted. I just don't see it.

This takes a lot of time. I'll let you perform your own research, from here on. Maybe you can find some magic pixie dust in Kevin Correia's game results; I hope you do because I also believe in Terry Ryan and I hope he's made a good signing.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josecordoba View Post
    I'll defend Terry Ryan here.
    Yep. Terry Ryan brought many World Championships to the Twin Cities and his replacement of Bill Smith made the Twins contenders again last season.

I just hope that the Twins hold him accountable for the club performance but I am not holding my breath after they removed the interim tag after a 96 loss season and let him blame the 99 plus 96 on Jerry and Stelly.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 01-23-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Maybe the inside info TR is referring to is that KC secretly developed a knuckleball? Second coming of RA Dickey here we come!! We won't even need his winner's attitude...
    Last edited by Mark_RM; 01-23-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_RM View Post
    Maybe the inside info TR is referring to is that KC secretly developed a knuckleball? Second coming of RA Dickey here we come!! We won't even need his winner's attitude...
    Dickey? You mean the guy who the aforementioned Twins' scouts and field stuff thought that he will never cut it and they cut him?
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Dickey? You mean the guy who the aforementioned Twins' scouts and field stuff thought that he will never cut it and they cut him?
    But that was before Dickey knew how to win.

Liked 1,590 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_RM View Post
    But that was before Dickey knew how to win.
    Sweet.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Apparently you want to believe I believe that, despite my using no stats, other than games and innings pitched and this new-fangled one called "the outcome of the game".

You weren't talking about the 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 games. You asserted that he had some ability to stop giving up runs after giving up five or six. Unfortunately, if you look at the results, this ability doesn't show up. In his good season of 2010, in those six game where he gave up that many runs:

- April 18: (L 10-5) 6 runs in the top of the third, Gardy ran him out there again in the fourth where he lasted one-third more inning and was charged with another run before Burnett came in with the score 6-3
    - May 18: (L 11-2) Blue Jays scored 2, 2, 1, and 1 run in the first four innings. Gardy had seen enough and brought in Mahay to start the fifth with the score 6-1
    - July 6: (W 7-6) Blue Jays scored 1 in the third and 4 in the fifth to take a 5-2 lead. Twins came back to tie it in the sixth and scored another run to take the lead in the seventh, Pavano then gave up a leadoff homer to tie it up again, and after one more batter Gardy brought in Mijares. Twins came back with another run and Rauch finished with a save
    - August 19: (L 11-0) Pavano began the seventh inning behind 5-0 (two in the first, two in the third, one in the fifth), gave up two hits without recording an out to make it 6-0, Perkins came in and eventually allowed the seventh earned run to score
    - September 16: (W 8-5) Pavano carried a 6-2 lead into the sixth, gave up two homers and then a double to the first three batters making it 6-4, Gardy replaced him with Mijares and Guerrier who let the runner score to make it 6-5, Twins added two insurance runs in the ninth
    - September 25: (L 11-10) Going into the bottom of the fourth leading 5-2, Pavano coughed up the lead by allowing 5. Gardy let him finish the inning then brought in Perkins for the fifth. Twins scored five of their own, then allowed the Tigers to tie it, then they lost in the 13th.

My point is not to demean Pavano - these were his worst games in a very good season. You're the one who said he wasunusually able to battle back. Ron Gardenhire did not seem to share your confidence. I didn't locate any games that year where he gave up 5 runs in, say, the first two innings and then shot goose eggs for six or seven more.

And again, no arcane stats or anything. Just results from games. I approached these with an open mind, looking for evidence for what you asserted. I just don't see it.

This takes a lot of time. I'll let you perform your own research, from here on. Maybe you can find some magic pixie dust in Kevin Correia's game results; I hope you do because I also believe in Terry Ryan and I hope he's made a good signing.
    Yeah, but this information is just an accurate record of what happened. They don't tell the emotions, intangibles, or mystical connections Pavano and his teammates used (or failed to use) that won or lost the game . Perhaps the other team's wizards were just better that day and besides, if I remember it differently, your numbers don't matter.

/sarcasm

*To be clear, I understand that there are intangibles and that scouts certainly have access to information we statheads (some of us former baseball players and coaches, too) don't, but on some level, especially after 10 years in the case of Correia, I'd think they -- or their influence-- would show up in results. I also think that PIT wouldn't have demoted him to the bullpen if they thought he had these intangibles. Or, they would have traded him to another team that saw them if they, you know, actually existed.

@ashburyjohn, seriously, great work and research is always appreciated.
    Last edited by Alex; 01-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is how the Twins offseason has gone so far:

Write a Twins article bashing the Twins approach.
    Write a Twins article bashing the Correia signing.
    Repeat.
    Can something please happen so we have something new to talk about?

Dear Spring Training,

Please come soon.

FDG

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Did those that continuously bash here do much the same at BYTO and other sites when the Twins were winning?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Did those that continuously bash here do much the same at BYTO and other sites when the Twins were winning?
    Last time the Twins won (1991) the internet(s) was in Al Gore's mind
    -----

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,181 Times in 628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post

FDG
    Like signing a quality baseball player, preferably one who pitches?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    When Ryan or Gardy does something worth kudos, they get kudos. When they do something highly suspect or just off the wall wacky, they get slammed. It comes with the job. They're big boys. I love how every time someone is being realistic, and the realism isn't kudos, that someone is labeled negative. Being realistic isn't always about being negative. Doesn't make anyone less of a fan...especially if they are giving a solid argument...whether or not you agree with the argument or not.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Here is how the Twins offseason has gone so far:

Write a Twins article bashing the Twins approach.
    Write a Twins article bashing the Correia signing.
    Repeat.

Dear Spring Training,

Please come soon.

FDG
    Look, I know the negativity gets old, but what do you expect? Slashing payroll and signing sub par bargain-bin players to "improve" a team that has lost nearly 100 games in two straight years is a slap in the face for paying fans. People don't enjoy getting slapped in the face.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Look, I know the negativity gets old, but what do you expect? Slashing payroll and signing sub par bargain-bin players to "improve" a team that has lost nearly 100 games in two straight years is a slap in the face for paying fans. People don't enjoy getting slapped in the face.
    Well, some apparently don't mind at all...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast