Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Article: For Better or Worse: Trevor Plouffe

  1. #21
    Put me down for "better". I can live with the inconsistency at the plate if he just improves his defense. The left side of the infield was once again a complete mess in 2012. However, I do believe experience really counts when it comes to defense, which is why I think he'll be better in 2013. He reminds me in some ways of Cuddyer. Is/was very inconsistent at the plate but seemed to settle down once he found a permanent position in the field.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    546
    Like
    0
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pitchtocontact View Post
    I think the team's decision to bring in Bruno as a hitting coach could be of great benefit to Plouffe. Seems like the guy can bring the best out of young power guys (see Parmelee).
    I forgot, Bruno is coming in as hitting coach. Yeah, I agree that he's been very, very good for Parmelee, and I think he can do the same for Plouffe and maybe even Florimon. Twins need a hitting coach that's not afraid to let 'em bash the ball when the time is right.

  3. #23
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,672
    Like
    2,651
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    If he can learn to control the strike zone and lay off some bad pitches there is no doubt he will be better. The bat speed and power are there, no debating that, if pitchers make mistakes he'll punish them.
    This is the key. It's not like he suddenly "developed" power, the power was there, he just seemed (for a brief glorious time) to be able to lay off the pitcher's pitch and get one to his liking. And then it went away - due to the wrist, due to "the book" on him getting updated, I don't know, but if it's the latter then he and Brunansky have some work to do this spring. I also liked the comment about him and Mauer having a heart-to-heart, in the same spirit of *recognizing* and laying off the pitch you don't want, and turning on the pitch you do.Since baseball's a game of constant adjustments, I am cautiously optimistic.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    129
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pitchtocontact View Post
    I think the team's decision to bring in Bruno as a hitting coach could be of great benefit to Plouffe. Seems like the guy can bring the best out of young power guys (see Parmelee).
    I totally agree and hope this is the case.

  5. #25
    Feel like the Twins didn't like his work ethic on defense, hence the need to bring in competition. They seem to be telling him third is his if we works at it.

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Personally I'd still like to see if he could handle 2B. He played decently enough at SS in the minors where he stuck for that long. I think he has the potential to at least be league average at 3B, but if he could at least play an average 2B defensively....you could be looking at a true asset at the position if he continues to mash a bit.

    Not that it matters a whole lot now anyways, the Twins legit depth at 3B/SS/2B in the minors is utterly terrible overall considering the top two prospects at those positions Sano/Rosario each have at best a 50% chance of sticking at those said positions.

  7. #27
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,725
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Personally I'd still like to see if he could handle 2B. He played decently enough at SS in the minors where he stuck for that long. I think he has the potential to at least be league average at 3B, but if he could at least play an average 2B defensively....you could be looking at a true asset at the position if he continues to mash a bit.

    Not that it matters a whole lot now anyways, the Twins legit depth at 3B/SS/2B in the minors is utterly terrible overall considering the top two prospects at those positions Sano/Rosario each have at best a 50% chance of sticking at those said positions.
    Plouffie's worth a try there, but that would require filling the vacated hole and getting Inge, Kennedy or Bartlett to play 3B, so what would be the net gain? OTOH, this scenario would be the perfect way to try Mauer out at 3B, platooning with an Escobar or Dozier to still give Mauer his 70 games or so behind the plate.

    Regardless, Plouffe appeared to break out at the plate and lose his "happy feet" in the field when he got settled in at Third pre-injury.

  8. #28
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Better on defense, more consistent across the year on offense, with a bit better output on offense.

  9. #29
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,590
    Like
    18
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    First of all, it was a thumb injury (to a nerve to be specific). Second, it was almost a month that was lost. And third, his defensive woes in the field were due to throwing from SS more than anything. At third he was actually pretty good. He had a few stretches of incompetence, but he passes the eye test from my perspective. Plus, if he can hit who cares if he is below average defensively? Another little fact about 2012 is he was extremely unlucky with BA, he had a nice line-drive rate, and his FB to HR ratio was pretty high. I expect .250 avg with 25-30 HR's.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    Plouffe is a low average power hitter. He reminds me of Joe Crede in that way. I have no doubt that he's going to improve offensively this coming season but the guy should not be allowed to play the infield. I think he'll end up in RF like Cuddyer before him. Parmalee will end up at 1st after Morneau is traded mid season. The only way Morneau isn't traded is if the Twins are still in it at the All-Star break. LOL We all know that isn't going to be the case. Pelfrey and Correia do not make this rotation better but they make it older and worse. Both are right handed sinker ballers. Shall we revisit Rick Anderson track record with right handed sinker ball pitchers? I won't because you already know that they will be worse than they've ever been in their respective careers. Vavra and Anderson need to go like 5 years ago!
    My best guess is .260, 25 HR, 80 RBI, .750 OPS. This coupled with average defense will give us our best 3rd baseman since Koskie. I haven't seen anything to tell me that he can't be that solid, average 3rd baseman we need, so pushing him into the outfield where we are already very full seems premature. As for Morneau, I am surprised how few people think we have a shot to resign him. He clearly loves playing with Mauer, and if he comes all the way around the concussion corner, why not offer him something in the neighborhood of 27/3? I won't argue about the pitching, but I will say I'm willing to see how it all plays out with our young guys by the end of the year.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    340
    Like
    124
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    In 2012, Upton's timing was off for much of the year, and he was popping up a lot of pitches on the inner half that the year before he would have driven to the left-center gap or out of the park. Much of this probably was tied to a thumb injury he suffered in the third game of the season but never addressed with time off. Hand injuries of any sort tend to sap power by reducing a hitter's ability to make hard contact, and that was a major issue for Upton all year.
    Pulled this out of Keith Law's writeup on Justin Upton (Breaking down the Justin Upton trade from Diamondbacks to the Braves -- MLB - ESPN, it's behind the paywall), and thought it was interesting context for Plouffe. It makes me a little more confident we should see more of the "good Trevor" this year.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,778
    Like
    664
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I'm hopeful too. Anyone who's struck a fastball on the trademark can imagine how a thumb injury would put a damper on your swing. As long as he's healed...

  13. #33
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Pulled this out of Keith Law's writeup on Justin Upton (Breaking down the Justin Upton trade from Diamondbacks to the Braves -- MLB - ESPN, it's behind the paywall), and thought it was interesting context for Plouffe. It makes me a little more confident we should see more of the "good Trevor" this year.
    Can't read the link...not an insider

  14. #34
    I see him as Joe Crede numbers, lots of homeruns but .250-260 BA. More important is him to learn to field the hot corner like Crede.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    340
    Like
    124
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Can't read the link...not an insider
    Sorry, I tried to note that was the case, and really the part I quoted was the only relevant stuff anyway, regarding how thumb/hand injuries affect hitters. Just trying to be polite and include link to source material, even though the relevant stuff was already noted.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    First of all, it was a thumb injury (to a nerve to be specific). Second, it was almost a month that was lost. And third, his defensive woes in the field were due to throwing from SS more than anything. At third he was actually pretty good. He had a few stretches of incompetence, but he passes the eye test from my perspective. Plus, if he can hit who cares if he is below average defensively? Another little fact about 2012 is he was extremely unlucky with BA, he had a nice line-drive rate, and his FB to HR ratio was pretty high. I expect .250 avg with 25-30 HR's.
    His range was a problem last year. He solve his throwing woes which seemed isolated to playing SS. The more he plays at third, the more he'll learn to anticipate where the ball will end up. He's got good reaction time, just not very comfortable yet. I'm confident he will learn to play the position. He's an excellent athlete, moves well defensively, better than Valencia in my opinion.

  17. #37
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,672
    Like
    2,651
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I'm hopeful too. Anyone who's struck a fastball on the trademark can imagine how a thumb injury would put a damper on your swing. As long as he's healed...
    In my baseball career I could have lacked opposable thumbs and it wouldn't have made any difference.

  18. #38
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Sorry, I tried to note that was the case, and really the part I quoted was the only relevant stuff anyway, regarding how thumb/hand injuries affect hitters. Just trying to be polite and include link to source material, even though the relevant stuff was already noted.
    I wasn't complaining, just saying I couldn't read it. For those who could, awesome :-)

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,590
    Like
    18
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DelawareTwinsFan View Post
    His range was a problem last year. He solve his throwing woes which seemed isolated to playing SS. The more he plays at third, the more he'll learn to anticipate where the ball will end up. He's got good reaction time, just not very comfortable yet. I'm confident he will learn to play the position. He's an excellent athlete, moves well defensively, better than Valencia in my opinion.
    Range is meh for a 3b. His range was affected by not making some plays he had to move for, which I think will be improved on. He also made some outstandingly rangy plays last season going to all directions. His consistancy is the key, which has been beaten to a pulp in this thread already. At the least, I think the Twins have a guy who will help the team more than hurt them and allow them to focus on other positions going forward. This is the least, at the best he could be an all-star. Normal guys don't just go on tears and hit homeruns like that. I'm hoping for the best.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.