Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: For Better or Worse: Trevor Plouffe

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope Trevor Plouffe hasn't reached his precipice, because that denotes a Nishioka death spiral into the canyon of failure and despair, and a possible airplane ride to Japan. Instead, I hope Plouffe is reaching the apex, the tip top of a large, massive mesa of a 40-plus home run career stretch.

In fact, I predict he will start swinging the bat just the way he did during his amazing 2012 hot streak. What's to stop him? If his hand is fully healed, then it's just a matter of remembering what he was doing, which is certainly on video. He studies the video, talks it over with the hitting coach, gets the feel of that swing back, and get ready to blast some baseballs.

Of all the many 'ifs' this coming season, Plouffe getting his swing back is one thing I'm pretty sure will happen. The guy can pulverize baseballs. Pitchers beware.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Guy has got to be better. He's had the entire year and offseason to work on one defensive position now (so the defensive must get better), and as long as the thumb is healed, I think he can OPS ~.775 just by bring is BA up to .250-.260, which is where I think he'll be while hitting fewer HRs.

He'd better hit better, because his defense was not good last year. I don't like the inconsistency – hot and cold. Many players cool off, or get lukewarm, but Plouffe it seems is either turning water into a gaseous state, or he's freezing methane. Consistency, consistency, consistency.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll put him down for better. Steadier on defense, more consistent on offense. Not an all-star, but solid. Let's hope.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Nice write up Nick. I have always been a big Plouffe guy, but he has disappointed me every time. Was last years outburst just a mirage? I think so, put me down for a worse and hope that I am wrong.

He and mauer should have a heart to heart about the importance of OBP.

I think the team's decision to bring in Bruno as a hitting coach could be of great benefit to Plouffe. Seems like the guy can bring the best out of young power guys (see Parmelee).

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Using the "Ponder got better after he got married rule", plus knowing that CP and TP are friends, I'm saying Plouffe will be better since he just got married.

I would define a league average 3B as between 2 to 3 WAR. If Plouffe puts up his projected numbers according to Fangraphs and Bill James he falls on the short end of the stick. Although according to Fangraphs he's projected as a 1.9. I think it's somewhat possible he outperforms these numbers especially since he had a .600 Plus slugging percentage at Triple A in 2011. I can't comment on how much his wrist effected him but he has developed big time power.

I also hold out hope as a fielder considering his background. I never expect him to be good but at least playable at third base.

I figure Plouffe's long-term projection is league average starter (2-3 WAR). The Twins should be happy with this.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    What I don't understand is why did it take so long for them to move him to third base?? He failed miserably at shortstop once he got to the majors, why didn't they see that sooner??!!! More games at third in the minors would probably make him a better defender now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    What I don't understand is why did it take so long for them to move him to third base?? He failed miserably at shortstop once he got to the majors, why didn't they see that sooner??!!! More games at third in the minors would probably make him a better defender now.
    Because the Twins are so woefully short on middle infielders at every level. You have to see if the guy can stick at a middle infield spot (though I agree that they took too long to reach the conclusion that he cannot play short).

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    If he can learn to control the strike zone and lay off some bad pitches there is no doubt he will be better. The bat speed and power are there, no debating that, if pitchers make mistakes he'll punish them. I think he'll be serviceable at third, he made some fine plays last year, just need him to be consistent and make the routine ones.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    He's only had like 50 something starts at shortstop in the majors...how much sooner do you think they should have seen it? I think they just hoped it'd click once he came up, cause it's not like he was very good at shortstop in the minors either.

I want the Plouffe!
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PLOUFFE!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Great analysis Nick, thanks!

I have my fingers crossed that he will be better. I expect we will see a performance not as good as he was during those two months, but better overall during the season with another 25 or so home runs and a higher average. If Plouffe can do that, one of the young outfielders steps up by early June and a few of the many starters vying for the rotation pitch relatively well, this team can be competitive.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    it's not like he was very good at shortstop in the minors either.
    I rest my case.

Play him for years in the minors at SS, find out he can't throw, then move him to third in the majors, so he has to learn at the highest level. Head shaking...

Hopefully he can just show some consistency with both the bat and the glove, make the plays he should make, and hit 20+ home runs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I rest my case.

Play him for years in the minors at SS, find out he can't throw, then move him to third in the majors, so he has to learn at the highest level. Head shaking...

Hopefully he can just show some consistency with both the bat and the glove, make the plays he should make, and hit 20+ home runs.
    They didn't want to throw away a former #1 pick...he was out of options...they needed to find a spot for him

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd hope that he could be better. His overall numbers weren't exactly mind blowing. You can argue that his first month or so of the season struggles were due to inconsistent PT... and the last 2 months due to that injury... Here's to hoping that's the case. Not sure he'd do a .638 SLG over the course of the season, but if he could get the average up to .270 while hitting 30 or so home runs, he'd be quite the asset...

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe is a low average power hitter. He reminds me of Joe Crede in that way. I have no doubt that he's going to improve offensively this coming season but the guy should not be allowed to play the infield. I think he'll end up in RF like Cuddyer before him. Parmalee will end up at 1st after Morneau is traded mid season. The only way Morneau isn't traded is if the Twins are still in it at the All-Star break. LOL We all know that isn't going to be the case. Pelfrey and Correia do not make this rotation better but they make it older and worse. Both are right handed sinker ballers. Shall we revisit Rick Anderson track record with right handed sinker ball pitchers? I won't because you already know that they will be worse than they've ever been in their respective careers. Vavra and Anderson need to go like 5 years ago!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast