Thread: Article: 2013 Spring Training Guide to Fort Myers. Part I: The Logistics.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2013 Spring Training Guide to Fort Myers. Part I: The Logistics.

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used your guide last year to make my visit one to remember, and the improvements for this year will help those who go now, I'm sure.

Blog Entries
    Glad that you found it useful. I really look forward to see if work has already started in the complex and the renovations of Hammond Stadium.
    -----

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 493 Posts
    As for finding a place to stay, try also to find a weekly condo rental. When you figure out the 'daily' rate it's not really that much more than a hotel, is more comfortable and saves a ton on eating out. As I have a place there, I really don't know what agencies to go through, but it is often a nicer alternative to a hotel, especially if you are a family or a group of friends.

And they do have a public transportation system in Fort Myers (Lee County | Southwest Florida Government). However, it's not all that convenient to rely on a bus, and they don't run as consistently as they do in larger metro areas. A car is your best bet. If you are an avid bicyclist you can get around well enough that way if you aren't far out, but you would still want a car in the evening or if it rains.

And I wouldn't recommend staying in Naples. There is plenty to do in and around Ft. Myers, imo and depending on what you are looking to 'do.' Way more expensive to stay in Naples and a pain coming back and forth to the stadium. Traffic that time of year is PAINFUL.

RSW is a growing airport (they built a new terminal a few years ago and are working on another runway) and serves international flights as well. I agree that leaving there in Spring you need to allow extra time to get through TSA. They've reworked it quite a bit so it's organized well enough, but is slow. I'd recommend getting there 2 hrs before departure. Again, high season is very congested everywhere. If you can find a better deal both in flights and car rentals elsewhere, I'd do that. I fly in/out of RSW frequently because I have a place there.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am going down in June or July for a few games so this is very helpful for then too. Thanks.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am going down in June or July for a few games so this is very helpful for then too. Thanks.
    Low season you won't have as many issues with the airport or car rentals. But there likely won't be as many flights in and out at that time, either, so do your usual research. And traffic won't be as bad then. And costs of hotels and other options will be less. But watch out for hurricanes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Not sure where you are located (and the logistics work the same way for June and July) but it is crazy hot and humid in the summer over there. Like 95+ and extreme humidity. Something to keep in mind.
    -----