Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: St. Patty's Day is Separation Day

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: St. Patty's Day is Separation Day

I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Maloney is on the 40-man roster. The Twins will get an added spot when Zumaya is moved to the 60day disabled list. A second spot will be available when they waive Jeff Gray. He will either be selected by another team or clear waivers and go to Rochester, in which case he would come off the 40-man roster. The only way he keeps his spot on the roster is to make the team for opening day which isn't going to happen.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Maloney is on the 40-man roster. The Twins will get an added spot when Zumaya is moved to the 60day disabled list. A second spot will be available when they waive Jeff Gray. He will either be selected by another team or clear waivers and go to Rochester, in which case he would come off the 40-man roster. The only way he keeps his spot on the roster is to make the team for opening day which isn't going to happen.
    Add Terry Doyle to the equation as well... This leaves 3 spots. I also got the feeling that a trade or 2 might be brewing as well...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know Gutierriez has good stats, but I don't think he's shown that he can throw anything besides heat yet. I don't think he's really in the running.

By the way - I have no problem with Rene Rivera getting the 3rd catcher role. I'd like to see it, actually. Why the hell not? Pavano might like Butera, but Liriano had some success early last year with Rivera.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Pavano might like Butera, but Liriano had some success early last year with Rivera.
    That's probably the understatement of the century

Here are FranKKKKKKKKKKKKKie's full season numbers per catcher:

Rivera: 3.86 ERA, 10 K/9, 2.8 K/BB, 1.21 WHIP
    Mauer: 5.31 ERA, 7.7 K/9, 1.6 K/BB, 1.58 WHIP
    Butera: 5.85 ERA 5.7 K/9, 0.9 K/BB, 1.63 WHIP

When Rivera caught him Frankie was FranKKKKKKKKKKKKKie. Just for that the Twins should have a. kept him last season in the bigs and let him catch Liriano all the time (cannot remedy that) and b. should take him up North now.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, frankly the 3rd catcher does pretty much nothing for me. They could pick any of the three and I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    You're right, roger. Not sure what I was looking at, but I didn't see Maloney listed on whatever I was looking at. I also agree that there are going to be roster spots opening up over the next two weeks. Funny how these things tend to work themselves out.

I'm also in the same boat with Seth... I honestly don't care who wins the 3rd catcher "battle." I've thought all postseason that way too much debate has centered on Butera and others. If that issue was really as big a problem as people have made it out to be, this team would be in great shape. But unfortunately, there are many much bigger things to resolve.
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 03-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~