Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: ESPN: Twins Optimal Year Of Contention is 2016

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I was talking about
    "Right now, when accounting for standard inflation, we're at '07 payroll. Of course, players payrolls haven't gone up by standard inflation rates..."

Nice change of what you originally said. The second comment in this thread of comments/retorts still stands true.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    "Right now, when accounting for standard inflation, we're at '07 payroll. Of course, players payrolls haven't gone up by standard inflation rates..."

Nice change of what you originally said. The second comment in this thread of comments/retorts still stands true.
    what are you talking about? I didn't change anything.

I originally wrote:

'Right now, when accounting for standard inflation, we're at '07 payroll. Of course, players payrolls haven't gone up by standard inflation rates...'

'I was talking about the spending power of 71M ('07 Twins payroll) now equates to the spending power of just under 80M today (current Twins salary of '13) on just standard US inflation.'

Same thing..worded differently
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-23-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    what are you talking about? I didn't change anything.

I originally wrote:

'Right now, when accounting for standard inflation, we're at '07 payroll. Of course, players payrolls haven't gone up by standard inflation rates...'

'I was talking about the spending power of 71M ('07 Twins payroll) now equates to the spending power of just under 80M today (current Twins salary of '13) on just standard US inflation.'

Same thing..worded differently
    Don't bother. He'll just eventually feign outrage and claim personal insult. Standard operating procedure.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    I think that single bizarre sentence defines the incoherence of the homerific clan on this board better than any other slice of crazy I've read.
    The fact that you think I'm a homer shows that your are illiterate on this board. Second, I'll stand by what I said and ask you to point out the crazy. The rotation was virtually dead last in every meaningful category last year. The Al central is one -- if not thee -- least competitive divisions in baseball. An average rotation, like those in the late 2000s, instantly makes this team much better and competitive in the central. So crazy.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    The fact that you think I'm a homer shows that your are illiterate on this board. Second, I'll stand by what I said and ask you to point out the crazy. The rotation was virtually dead last in every meaningful category last year. The Al central is one -- if not thee -- least competitive divisions in baseball. An average rotation, like those in the late 2000s, instantly makes this team much better and competitive in the central. So crazy.
    Self-administered homer test: Where would Scott Diamond slot into the Tigers rotation? If you think that the guy many people figure to be our best pitcher in 2013 (unless Worley is healthy all year) would manage to make even the 5th spot in the Tigers' rotation, you are officially a homer.

If not, you're admitting that the Tigers rotation is going to be a hell of a lot better than ours, whether we improve to average or not. The Tigers were 3rd in the AL in ERA last year without full seasons from Sanchez or Fister. Their 5th starter, Smyly, had an ERA under 4, and it was the sustainable kind, not the Diamond kind.

So we're not going to be competitive with their pitching. How about offense? They scored only 25 more runs than the Twins last year, so it's a virtual dead heat in 2013, right? Yeah, well, no. The Tigers replaced one of the worst outfielders in baseball with one of the best. They got almost nothing from their DH spot last year, and are getting VMart back to fill that void. Avila has a good chance to return to All Star form. Do you think the Tigers' offense will be better, or worse?

The Twins traded away their third-best hitter and his most capable replacement. The manager is hoping that a kid with fewer than 500 AB's above A ball will win the CF job out of spring training. They finished 5th lowest in AL runs scored despite career years from Willingham and Doumit, who will be 34 and 32 respectively when the season starts. So our offense is going to be better than the Tigers' how exactly?

The Tigers improved an above-AL-average offense and have one of the top rotations in all of baseball. The Twins have weakened one of the worst offenses in the AL and Terry Ryan's "pretty darn good" pitcher chase netted us Kevin Correia, who lost his spot in the Pirates rotation. If you think a league-average rotation will make the Twins competitive with the Tigers, you're either a huge homer or you're seeing things completely differently. Which is it?
    Last edited by LaBombo; 01-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look at the Rangers rotation and Offense and Look at the Angels rotation and offense in 2012 - The A's won the West. Not in your wildest dreams would you have thought that. But it happened. That's why you play the games. Things on paper sometimes get shreaded. We probably won't win the Central, but we may surprise alot of folks with some quality wins. Games are about match ups and your #1 might frequently meet an oppoisng teams #4 or #5. Let's pray that happens. Match ups

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Well there's exhibit A on your penchant for exaggeration, I'm not saying that.
    Never said you did. I wasn't talking about you when I said it, which was pretty clear. I'm not mocking anyone's optimism for a few years from now. I'm mocking the use of "baseless" to over-the-top belittle a point of view.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The 2001 team only won 85 games. The team had a lot of potential but the on-field product was just a little north of mediocre.
    Brock, I get where you're caught up on best-case scenario, that was probably not the right phrasing. In any case, given the direction this team is heading it is perfectly reasonable to think we have a few more years of losing. Unless you're working under a different time-table of prospect development than me, 2015 is likely to be rookie seasons for many of our key young prospects. Given that 3 years from now is hard to predict about a catcher and a dizzy first-baseman, I just see the next few years as very much 1999-2001 with 2001 being 2016 in this case. Maybe that time-table gets bumped sooner, but I think that's a lot of unhatched chicken counting personally.

Self-administered homer test: Where would Scott Diamond slot into the Tigers rotation? If you think that the guy many people figure to be our best pitcher in 2013 (unless Worley is healthy all year) would manage to make even the 5th spot in the Tigers' rotation, you are officially a homer.

If not, you're admitting that the Tigers rotation is going to be a hell of a lot better than ours, whether we improve to average or not. The Tigers were 3rd in the AL in ERA last year without full seasons from Sanchez or Fister. Their 5th starter, Smyly, had an ERA under 4, and it was the sustainable kind, not the Diamond kind.

So we're not going to be competitive with their pitching. How about offense? They scored only 25 more runs than the Twins last year, so it's a virtual dead heat in 2013, right? Yeah, well, no. The Tigers replaced one of the worst outfielders in baseball with one of the best. They got almost nothing from their DH spot last year, and are getting VMart back to fill that void. Avila has a good chance to return to All Star form. Do you think the Tigers' offense will be better, or worse?

The Twins traded away their third-best hitter and his most capable replacement. The manager is hoping that a kid with fewer than 500 AB's above A ball will win the CF job out of spring training. They finished 5th lowest in AL runs scored despite career years from Willingham and Doumit, who will be 34 and 32 respectively when the season starts. So our offense is going to be better than the Tigers' how exactly?

The Tigers improved an above-AL-average offense and have one of the top rotations in all of baseball. The Twins have weakened one of the worst offenses in the AL and Terry Ryan's "pretty darn good" pitcher chase netted us Kevin Correia, who lost his spot in the Pirates rotation. If you think a league-average rotation will make the Twins competitive with the Tigers, you're either a huge homer or you're seeing things completely differently. Which is it?
    You've skillfully maneuvered me into a corner. I am the biggest homer, ever.

I've said up and down on the these boards how we should have given Correia a third year, that we should save the money on top-tier FA pitching and pocket it. That we'll actually be better in the long run by significantly reducing payroll, that Escobar, Mastro, and Carroll will be great up the middle, that I trust Terry Ryan's decisions and his refreshingly honest and candid interaction with fans, and that anyone who disagrees with me is a cynical boob.

"We're gonna win Twins, we're gonna..." -- head in the sky, skipping and singing into the burned orange sunset.
    Last edited by Ultima Ratio; 01-23-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    You've skillfully maneuvered me into a corner. I am the biggest homer, ever.

I've said up and down on the these boards how we should have given Correia a third year, that we should save the money on top-tier FA pitching and pocket it. That we'll actually be better in the long run by significantly reducing payroll, that Escobar, Mastro, and Carroll will be great up the middle, that I trust Terry Ryan's decisions and his refreshingly honest and candid interaction with fans, and that anyone who disagrees with me is a cynical boob.

"We're gonna win Twins, we're gonna..." -- head in the sky, skipping and singing into the burned orange sunset.
    I take it by your sarcasm that you are either unwilling or unable to explain your very optimistic assessment that a league-average rotation would make the Twins contenders in the division.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 01-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.

I take it by your sarcasm that you are either unwilling or unable to explain your utterly absurd notion that a league-average rotation would make the Twins contenders in the division.
    Why would I want to debate someone whose chosen to avoid the context of my post in response to another post supporting the notion that the Twins ought to have gotten some top-tier pitching and will be kicking themselves if they are somewhere around .500 and other teams, even the divined Tigers, have injuries which may make the Twins competitive. If your intent was serious debate you would have looked at the spirit/thrust of my comment and the post I was responding to -- it was that the Twins should have done more, and in such a typically weak division (yes, there are other teams beside the Tigers whom the Twins get to play) and with a much improved rotation and core players producing at a hight level -- that it's possible to be competitive. I'm well aware that the Tigers are currently a great deal better than the Twins. Let me try now. Are you saying that unless the Twins get Five Aces they can't be competitive? [[Insert gratuitous snipe about pessimistic dolts]]

If you wanted to have an honest and serious debate you might say: well, it was wrong to put your position into a false dilemma between being the biggest homer or completely ignorant. I'd say the rotation would have to be ranked _____ to be competitive.

Let's see if you can manage that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread was alternately interesting and painful.

Along the lines of the original question...if the Twins optimal contention year will be 2016 (which seems reasonable to me, when most of the considerable talent they have in the farm will be contributing in the bigs)...here is my question:

Given the players currently in the system today, which starting lineup and rotation would win the most games in 2013? Ignore the minors progressions and service time. Would Meyer and Berrios be in the starting lineup? Would Rosario be the starting 2B? Would Buxton out produce Hicks or Benson or Mastro?

Blog Entries
    There is no context in which your claim that the Twins could contend for the division title with no more than an average rotation is credible. If you felt I was wrong to attempt to evaluate your motivation for making that claim, sorry. Doesn't change the fact that the Twins are much further from relevance than you either realize or are portraying them as. They're clearly not planning on going anywhere this year, at the very least.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that they really have to wait until 2016. If players like Sano are really going to be special, they should be good enough to help in the majors by 2015. If they're not, I don't know if they'll make up a special enough nucleus to build a contender around. Mauer's continued ability to play catcher, all by itself, makes projecting that far ahead pretty hazy, imo.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 01-23-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Brock, I get where you're caught up on best-case scenario, that was probably not the right phrasing. In any case, given the direction this team is heading it is perfectly reasonable to think we have a few more years of losing. Unless you're working under a different time-table of prospect development than me, 2015 is likely to be rookie seasons for many of our key young prospects. Given that 3 years from now is hard to predict about a catcher and a dizzy first-baseman, I just see the next few years as very much 1999-2001 with 2001 being 2016 in this case. Maybe that time-table gets bumped sooner, but I think that's a lot of unhatched chicken counting personally.
    I don't disagree with any of that. The team can be better earlier but it will require some luck and/or money.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I take it by your sarcasm that you are either unwilling or unable to explain your very optimistic assessment that a league-average rotation would make the Twins contenders in the division.
    Things don't always work out for a team that looks great on paper at the beginning of a season. The Marlins and Red Sox are fine recent examples. And the Twins have been contenders in the AL Central with mediocre rotations as recently as 3-4 years ago. There was nothing absurdly homerish about what he said. I guess I'm missing the post where he stated the Twins would suddenly become division favorites with an average pitching staff.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Things don't always work out for a team that looks great on paper at the beginning of a season. The Marlins and Red Sox are fine recent examples. And the Twins have been contenders in the AL Central with mediocre rotations as recently as 3-4 years ago. There was nothing absurdly homerish about what he said. I guess I'm missing the post where he stated the Twins would suddenly become division favorites with an average pitching staff.
    2009 is an example...but they also had a strong defensive team, and a strong offensive team. We don't have either of those now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I guess I'm missing the post where he stated the Twins would suddenly become division favorites with an average pitching staff.
    He didn't, and I didn't say he did. Instead, he said this: "Fix the damn rotation to an about average rotation and you've got a contender in the AL central at least." He's had every opportunity to provide a non-plane crash scenario where that happens. Nothing so far.

As for the rest, your memory might be a tiny bit off. The Twins had the 5th best rotation ERA in the AL in 2010. They were in fact below average in 2009, but they also scored the 4th most runs in the AL, a feat that seems extremely unlikely to be duplicated or approached this year after finishing 10th in that category in 2012 and trading away Span and Revere. So no valid comp from either of those to 2013.

In any case, I think the Tigers of 2013 are looking stronger than any divisional opponent from those two seasons. They replaced their worst everyday player with the 3rd highest 2012 AL outfield WAR. They get VMart back to DH after posting the 3rd-worst DH OPS in the American League last year. They have 4 of the 15 highest 2012 WAR scores on their roster, and if Avila is back to 2011 form, it could easily be 5. They'll have a full season of Sanchez. Fister is healthy and was terrific in the second half last year, as was Scherzer.

If there's a reason not to see the Tigers as pretty clear favorites to repeat as division champs, I'm missing it. And if there is, I'm betting it's not that the Twins upgraded their rotation to "average".
    Last edited by LaBombo; 01-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree that the Tigers are favorites on paper. That means no one in the division should try? The Twins should just submit and say, "Well, maybe in three years we'll have a better team than you"? What kind of attitude is that?

People were saying the same things about the Tigers last year when they signed Prince. They ended up winning 88 games and barely taking the division, despite having a Triple Crown MVP. I hate to invoke such a hackneyed phrase, but the game ain't played on paper.

Originally Posted by Nick Nelson
    I guess I'm missing the post where he stated the Twins would suddenly become division favorites with an average pitching staff.

LaBombo
    He didn't, and I didn't say he did
    Then why do you keep arguing as if I did:

LaBombo
    If there's a reason not to see the Tigers as pretty clear favorites to repeat as division champs, I'm missing it. And if there is, I'm betting it's not that the Twins upgraded their rotation to "average".
    Even after you admit that I've never claimed the Twins will be favorites if they had upgraded to an average rotation, you turn right around and act as though I am saying that.

I now understand why you think I'm a homer, you insist that I'm saying something that I'm not, even after you've agreed that I'm not saying it.

This is the reason for my sarcastic response to you. You won't and can't get it right. What good would come from arguing with someone like this? What good has it done?

We can't contend for a championship until the core group is close to their prime years. Interesting and fun is one thing but ultimately, Sano, Rosario, Meyer, May, Gibson, Nate Roberts, Levi Micheal, and Arcia will reach their potential around 2016-17 while being serviceable in 2015. They will need to push a few like Buxton and Berrios ahead of their timetable to get them all to peak similarly. Parmalee and Arcia will get there around 2014 or 2015 joining Mauer and possibly guys like Dozier and Plouffe (if they reach their ceiling) to form a potentially potent core that might get them into contention once again. Without pitchers other than Diamond could quickly derail that revival. Also, they ought to scour the college ranks for middle of the rotation arms for this years draft hopefully spending only 2-3 years in the minors.

To actually contend for an AL Central championship, I believe the Twins will always have a chance.
    Last edited by DelawareTwinsFan; 01-23-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789