Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorten Target Field Fences NOW

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Shorten Target Field Fences NOW

With our pitching looking well below par, we will need a fabulous defense to keep us competitive in 2013. But wait a minute, we are committed to starting a first-baseman in RF and we will keep our best DH in LF, so that our other DH can catch or play 1B.

?????????????????? How in the heck did we get into this mess?????????????????????

We still have Morneau because he was about as valuable as Francisco Liriano at the trade-deadline and on the market last off-season. If he had been dealt, Arcia would have a legit shot in RF instead of the joke we are sending out there everyday this coming year. Nothing like having a big, slow guy covering a third of that spacious outfield in Minnesota.

Oh wait...we have TWO big slow guys covering TWO-THIRDS of our outfield this year. But its ok, because we have a really good 4th outfielder that is ready to start for us. And if he doesn't work we have a rookie that has never hit .300 in a full season of minor league ball.

I will stop the sarcasm now.

Our pitching is going to suffer mightily as a result of this outfield defense. If we move the fences IN, we allow our big slow guys a chance to cover the decreased surface area. RIght?
    Makes about as much sense as our roster for 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Yep, bring the fences in so rather than doubles the players hit home runs. Bring them in far enough so they can put seating in. Hardhats required.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Outfield defense is way down my list of priorities that need an upgrade.

Is Willingham-Mastro/Benson/Hicks-Parmelee a worse alignment than Young-Span-Cuddyer?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,182 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post

Is Willingham-Mastro/Benson/Hicks-Parmelee a worse alignment than Young-Span-Cuddyer?
    Nope....I'd rather have a glove swinging from a rope than Delmon..

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    It would give them more room to add bars, you know to keep the fans drunk and unaware of the score

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Umm, how many outfielders are you bringing to Minnesota?? Are you starting Benson in CF??? And yes, having Parm and Willi (a 1B and a DH) covering 2/3 of the outfield is wayyy worse than Young/Span/Cuddyer.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,513 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You tailor the team to fit the stadium, not the other way around.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You tailor the team to fit the stadium, not the other way around.
    Yessir, I was being quite sarcastic in my request to shorten the fences. How do you think the FO has done at tailoring this team to fit the stadium?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

You cannot have 2 DH's in your OF and hope not to get destroyed.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't tell from your post if you are serious or not, but I would be against this change. Opposing teams have no trouble hitting it outta the park as is.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    You cannot have 2 DH's in your OF and hope not to get destroyed.
    This is well articulated. I must say...quite refreshing and clear.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,513 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Yessir, I was being quite sarcastic in my request to shorten the fences. How do you think the FO has done at tailoring this team to fit the stadium?
    Horribly. The pitchers don't strike anyone out, have marginal groundball skills, and there's no defense behind them even if they did induce a groundball. As for the outfield, well... They're going to roam that OF like a bunch of drunks at Mardi Gras.

Chances are it's going to be a long season.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Does anyone know whether there is a rule against moving the fences game-to-game? A home grounds crew might cut the grass shorter or leave it longer depending on the home and away player's ability to bunt, and hit ground balls... so would this be any different really? Not a suggestion, but just curious if there is rule?
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    The Twins haven't tailored a team to fit any stadium because they suck at everything but the minors is stacked with plus defenders in the OF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Do they Twins have a chance to play 500? Maybe if they had sign Bedard.
    Astros signed LHP Erik Bedard to a minor league contract.

It's a nice low-risk move for the Astros, who could spin Bedard for a prospect at the trade deadline if he gets off to a decent start. The veteran lefty posted a 3.12 ERA over his first 10 outings in 2012 for the Pirates before falling apart. He was released by Pittsburgh in August.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A joke in RF? You did see his results in extended playing time in AAA right? The kid just needs a legit shot. He was in the OF before moving to 1b. I think he will be ok out there, can't be much worse than Cuddyer or Young.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Umm, how many outfielders are you bringing to Minnesota?? Are you starting Benson in CF??? And yes, having Parm and Willi (a 1B and a DH) covering 2/3 of the outfield is wayyy worse than Young/Span/Cuddyer.
    Four outfielders. Pick one of the three I have in CF and then another bench outfielder.

And... Young and Cuddyer are a DH and a 1B, and we lived with that for two seasons at TF.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 01-22-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Four outfielders. Pick one of the three I have in CF and then another bench outfielder.

And... Young and Cuddyer are a DH and a 1B, and we lived with that for two seasons at TF.

Okay...i understand now. In my opinion...we start Benson in CF with Mastro being the 4th OF....I guess we have no choice but to start a 1B in RF this year.

Young is a DH for sure, But I thought Cuddyer was slightly above average defensively in RF. No?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    A joke in RF? You did see his results in extended playing time in AAA right? The kid just needs a legit shot. He was in the OF before moving to 1b. I think he will be ok out there, can't be much worse than Cuddyer or Young.
    Parmelee is NO JOKE at the plate, but he has outgrown his potential to be a solid defensive outfielder.

Okay...i understand now. In my opinion...we start Benson in CF with Mastro being the 4th OF....I guess we have no choice but to start a 1B in RF this year.

Young is a DH for sure, But I thought Cuddyer was slightly above average defensively in RF. No?
    No, Cuddyer has pretty much always been a bad RF. We liked to talk up his throwing arm, but outside of that he was basically stationary out there.

That's not to say I think the 2013 outfield defense will be good. I'm more concerned about balls scooting through the infield or flying over the wall, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast