Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: The Scope of a Rebuild

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    That needs to be very open-ended because Morneau and Willingham do not have static value. They will either be more or less valuable when/if they are dealt than they are now. So "pitching" is the objective, but a solid minor league shortstop would be awesome in trade for M & W
    So basically, trade them for "something". That's not a proposal, that's a vague, non-committal statement. I'd also recommend the Twins draft well, get back more than they give in all other trades, and sign the best valued free agents every season, since we're going out on such limbs here.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    So basically, trade them for "something". That's not a proposal, that's a vague, non-committal statement. I'd also recommend the Twins draft well, get back more than they give in all other trades, and sign the best valued free agents every season, since we're going out on such limbs here.
    There was nothing wrong with my post. It was intelligent and did not demean anyone or anything. I explain how M & W do not have static value. Was a great post really. Your posts are pretty mean, FroGdaddy, and I'm sure you'll reply to this with more attacks and rudeness.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    By prospect top list posted here Ryan did good on drafting. By the same lists and comments, Ryan has done well so far on trades. Except for pitchers, people seem to be ok with Carrol as a utility player, Willingham and Doumit. So Ryan must be doing a fair job for the most part by your recommendations

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Was a great post really.
    The "intelligence" behind a post whose sole premise is "they should get the most they can for an asset" is akin to "you should avoid getting hit by a car when crossing the street". It's stating that it would be a good plan is to shoot for the ideal outcome every time. That's common freaking sense, not overly insightful. But don't let me get in the way of self-congratulating the greatness of your posts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ryan said recently he has very little to do with the draft...that he was much more involved in the draft in the last few years when he wasn't GM. He said he lets them do their thing.

'
    DL: What is your role in the draft?
    TR: Not too much. I watch and listen. I do go to see some [players]. I see some. Just enough to be dangerous. That dabbling in the scouting world is a dangerous situation, because you donít have a very good cross-section of whatís out there. I can do the skills, and I can do the makeup, probably. It doesnít take any genius to go out and run a stopwatch or look at a radar gun or mechanics, and evaluate the skills. If youíve been around, you can do that. But where does he go country-wise? Is he up here, or is he down here? I donít see enough to be able to slot him in very well. Thatís when itís dangerous. Thatís why I stay out of it and let our scouting department make the choices. They are the ones that live and die with it 365 days out of the year. Iím only a dabbler and thatís not good. Last year I was much more involved, because I wasnít the GM.'

Q&A: Terry Ryan, Twins general manager | FanGraphs Baseball
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Ryan said recently he has very little to do with the draft...that he was much more involved in the draft in the last few years when he wasn't GM. He said he lets them do their thing.

'
    DL: What is your role in the draft?
    TR: Not too much. I watch and listen. I do go to see some [players]. I see some. Just enough to be dangerous. That dabbling in the scouting world is a dangerous situation, because you don’t have a very good cross-section of what’s out there. I can do the skills, and I can do the makeup, probably. It doesn’t take any genius to go out and run a stopwatch or look at a radar gun or mechanics, and evaluate the skills. If you’ve been around, you can do that. But where does he go country-wise? Is he up here, or is he down here? I don’t see enough to be able to slot him in very well. That’s when it’s dangerous. That’s why I stay out of it and let our scouting department make the choices. They are the ones that live and die with it 365 days out of the year. I’m only a dabbler and that’s not good. Last year I was much more involved, because I wasn’t the GM.'

Q&A: Terry Ryan, Twins general manager | FanGraphs Baseball
    nice article, thanks.
    Liked this one, too.

DL: There is a perception that your organization drafts and develops strike throwers, but not hard throwers.
    TR: Well you can’t make a guy a hard thrower — more than likely — unless he already possesses arm strength. You can get a young, frail-bodied guy and once he develops and matures and so forth… and we got plenty of hard-throwers. But we do like strike-throwers. There’s no doubt about that. Number one, usually when you get strike-throwers, that means they’ve got pretty good mechanics and pretty good deliveries. That usually means they stay healthy. Everybody likes that. So, if there’s a hard-thrower out there, we like him. We’ve had a lot of success with the Radkes of the world. Santana threw hard. You show me a hard-thrower that’s available and I guarantee you we’ll take a good look at him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    DL: There is a perception that your organization drafts and develops strike throwers, but not hard throwers.
    TR: Well you can’t make a guy a hard thrower — more than likely — unless he already possesses arm strength. You can get a young, frail-bodied guy and once he develops and matures and so forth… and we got plenty of hard-throwers. But we do like strike-throwers. There’s no doubt about that. Number one, usually when you get strike-throwers, that means they’ve got pretty good mechanics and pretty good deliveries. That usually means they stay healthy. Everybody likes that. So, if there’s a hard-thrower out there, we like him. We’ve had a lot of success with the Radkes of the world. Santana threw hard. You show me a hard-thrower that’s available and I guarantee you we’ll take a good look at him.
    Yeah, I read the whole thing. What's the point? They like strike throwers first and foremost. We know this. My point is, people are giving Ryan a bunch of credit for this last draft...and he says right in this interview he's barely involved. My favorite part of that is when he says they usually 'stay healthy'. Big irony there. And he is basically saying, he's looking for Radke's.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Now we know why there is so much optimism in the 2012 Rule 4 draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    The point was his comment on hard throwers.
    You show me a hard-thrower that’s available and I guarantee you we’ll take a good look at him.
    That, in light of comments made by others on a thread, I thought was interesting.

If the draft was a failure who would get the blame but Ryan? If a trade is bad, who gets the blame but Ryan? When they do or don't sign mediocre pitchers as free agents who gets the blame? Ryan makes the decision presumably from data. Who is the one in all of the cases collecting the data, scouts. If there are bad decisions and Ryan is to blame, than he gets the credit when they do well.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    Ryan does not run the draft, the head scout does. In most MLB organizations, unlike every other sport, the GM cedes the draft to the head of scouting. Now, Ryan might hire that guy, so ultimately it is on him, but he runs his org like most every other MLB org.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ryan does not run the draft, the head scout does. In most MLB organizations, unlike every other sport, the GM cedes the draft to the head of scouting. Now, Ryan might hire that guy, so ultimately it is on him, but he runs his org like most every other MLB org.
    Yup, that's what I was saying.

Ryan also hand picked Smith to take his place as GM :-)

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Ryan makes the decision presumably from data. Who is the one in all of the cases collecting the data, scouts. If there are bad decisions and Ryan is to blame, than he gets the credit when they do well.
    Yes, he is the general manager and the chief executive. Comes with the territory. He's the highest-profile member of the front office and also quite likely the most highly paid. What is your point?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The head scout possibly had something to do with the Hardy trade? and Nishioka?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123