Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Scope of a Rebuild

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, the twins are going to suck next year. Maybe in 2014 too. Doesn't matter if people agree with this approach or not. Its really the only way to ensure long-term success. You could spend all the millions you want on veteran pitchers, but those dollars wont get you into the post-season, just ask Boston.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    The reason why rebuilds need to happen sooner rather than later is that it does take time to fill in all of the holes. Look at the Twins World Series rebuild that began, essentially, in 1982. It took 5 years to completely rebuild. THe reason for this is that some of the prospects and other additions fail: like closer Ron Davis and you then have to find another plug.

We are already 2 years behind in the rebuild mode. Lets get the Aaron Hicks and Kyle Gibson's on the roster and see what we got.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlhouse View Post
    Lets get the Aaron Hicks and Kyle Gibson's on the roster and see what we got.
    Gutsy and I love it

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its like the FO didnt want to admit they needed to rebuild following 2011

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Considering the people added for 2010 season and the looming impact of Mauer's contract [to be], they should have realized the need.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Considering the people added for 2010 season and the looming impact of Mauer's contract [to be], they should have realized the need.
    An all-out gutting was in order, and it finally happened with Span AND Revere getting moved. Great moves, even if it cost us another awful season.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    An all-out gutting was in order, and it finally happened with Span AND Revere getting moved. Great moves, even if it cost us another awful season.
    Still got 5 more to trade if you ask me

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Still got 5 more to trade if you ask me
    Check out the two trades I proposed here. I suggested they bring pitching back in trade...

I still belive in Saunders it means no rush to bring up gibson also allows us to bring all those guys up at the right time. So would a poseidnick, sweeney, or inge signing in the outfield. Outerwise its a lot of cheap tickets on stubhub.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have absolutely no faith in what Joe Saunders brings to the table. He is just as likely to regress hard, as he is to reproduce his Baltimore numbers next year. But he is a Twins-style pitcher, in that he throws a lot of strikes. Would be a solid #4 or 5 starter on an average MLB team. So, why not make him our highest paid pitcher and anoint him our ace?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not think Saunders will take a one year contract. Two years would not be bad, just unwise. 2014 rotation:
    Diamond
    Gibson
    Worley
    Correra
    Meyer/May

And this does not allow for another young pitcher to make the team. I hope Harden stays healthy and the Twins could resign him if he rebounds to have a good year. Pelfrey is a one year rental. To compete in 2015 and beyond, you have to start giving the youngsters experience sooner rather than later and if that means a bad year this year, so be it.
    That is also why Hicks should be the center fielder to start the year.
    One last point, Parmalee should play this year, because if he does not make it, you still have the option of signing Morneau to a 2 - 3 year extension(hopefully for around 9 - 10 million a year.
    Do not forget the Twins will have $25 million more in TV revenue next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think we are close to atleast being competetive this year. I mean we have Mauer, Doumit and 4 others capable of hitting 25-30 HR (Morneau, Willingham, Ploffe, Parmalee) Carrol is a solid on base guy. If we get someone who can be a 4th OF/ CF for insurance and maybe Kelly Johnson or Freddy Sanchez then we have a good lineup....Defense leave alot to be desired. The bullpen is above average. If we get Saunders then our rotation has a better chance to be average. That would give us a chance to be competetitve if all breaks right. That is not quite the same as what we have comming in a few years when we are hoping the next wave of prospects makes us a legitimate contender again.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    The bullpen is above average? It wasn't last year, and they haven't done much to improve it for this season.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    The bullpen is above average? It wasn't last year, and they haven't done much to improve it for this season.
    Twins were 17th in the league in bullpen ERA

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always enjoy your articles Nick. I was hoping, based on the title, this article would be more about the expected timeline of rebuilds by comparing previous rebuilds of other teams. We all know about our own rebuild of the 80's. The players were up between '82 and '84 and we didn't see a championship until '87. Most of the minor leaguers we are talking about won't be up until '14 and '15 which means we should be talking about playoff baseball with that core more along the lines of '18,'19, and '20. Talking of competitiveness in '14 and '15 might be short-sighted if the core is expected to be Sano/Hicks/Arcia/Rosario/May/Meyer/Berrios.

Thoughts?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Do we have a couple of left handed relievers who can make the jump to the majors?
    I have little faith in Mr. Robertson,and question the lack of attention we had to fill the void
    or at least signing competition for that spot this off season.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Yes they were, which was below average (3.55 AL ERA for relievers, Twins were at 3.77). And they were fortunate to rank even that "well," as suggested by their 25th/28th FIP/xFIP rankings and third lowest BABIP mark.

Duensing being back in the bullpen on the full-time basis will help, as will Fien pitching a full season (assuming he continues to pitch well), but above-average as a whole? That may be asking for too much.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Do we have a couple of left handed relievers who can make the jump to the majors?
    I have little faith in Mr. Robertson,and question the lack of attention we had to fill the void
    or at least signing competition for that spot this off season.
    Theilbar is ready to contribute next season, after some time in AAA. Then Williams is probably the next best lefty, still a year or two away. Melotakis is next

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Yes they were, which was below average (3.55 AL ERA for relievers, Twins were at 3.77). And they were fortunate to rank even that "well," as suggested by their 25th/28th FIP/xFIP rankings and third lowest BABIP mark.

Duensing being back in the bullpen on the full-time basis will help, as will Fien pitching a full season (assuming he continues to pitch well), but above-average as a whole? That may be asking for too much.
    Duensing is gonna get lit up. It seems like his best years are behind him. But hey, we got player control well into his sh**ty years

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast