Thread: Article: 12 Questions With... Matthew Tomshaw

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 12 Questions With... Matthew Tomshaw

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I have a question for Matthew Tomshaw or anybody else that may know. When a pitcher injures his elbow or shoulder, I have to assume he's doing something wrong.

What is it that so many pitchers are doing wrong that results in all these injuries?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Matt Thomshaw will become the left handed version of Shaun Marcum. He will be older when he finally gets a chance, but it doesn't mean he won't be as effective. He should make it to AA this year by seasons end and will get an invite to camp next spring. We may be tired of pitching to contact, but some guys make it an art form!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    I have a question for Matthew Tomshaw or anybody else that may know. When a pitcher injures his elbow or shoulder, I have to assume he's doing something wrong.

What is it that so many pitchers are doing wrong that results in all these injuries?
    I can't even find the words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post

I'll be sure to ask him, maybe he'll even respond here. I don't necessarily think that it is due to doing something wrong. IF that was the case, there would be more readily available information.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'll be sure to ask him, maybe he'll even respond here. I don't necessarily think that it is due to doing something wrong. IF that was the case, there would be more readily available information.
    Just a layman's guess here, but it may have something to do with the fact that throwing a baseball overhand with velocity is possibly the worst thing you can do to put strain on almost every part of the human arm. So, in the sense that choosing to do so would be "wrong" because it is inherently terrible for the arm, it could be considered doing something "wrong".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Just a layman's guess here, but it may have something to do with the fact that throwing a baseball overhand with velocity is possibly the worst thing you can do to put strain on almost every part of the human arm. So, in the sense that choosing to do so would be "wrong" because it is inherently terrible for the arm, it could be considered doing something "wrong".
    Nice.
    Papers...business papers.

Blog Entries
    Here is the response of Matt Tomshaw:

In my opinion throwing isn't a natural motion for the arm. And the amount of stress put on both the shoulder and elbow is hard to counteract sometimes. Conditioning the arm doing all the cuff weights and doing all the forearm exercises won't guarantee health but I think conditioning your arm and your body and the proper nutrition and rest and a little prayer every night is all you can do. Just knowing your body and your arm and being able to back off when needed. It's really tricky. But I don't think for the most part pitchers are doing much wrong.