Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: CAMPAIGN: Elect Joe Mauer for #2 Hitter

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: CAMPAIGN: Elect Mauer for number two hitter

I agree with you. Mauer should be the number two hitter or the leadoff hitter, but you brought up one of the biggest problems in all of Twindom... Gardenhire is the manager.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The old adage is that the best hitter on your team should hit third. I would be very interested in data to support or argue this point.
    Regardless of what the age old wisdom is, we have no one on our team with a high enough OBP to keep Mauer batting third. I vote Mauer for number two hitter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    The old adage is that the best hitter on your team should hit third. I would be very interested in data to support or argue this point.
    Regardless of what the age old wisdom is, we have no one on our team with a high enough OBP to keep Mauer batting third. I vote Mauer for number two hitter.
    yeah, old adage also doesn't account for a manager that insists on following the play second bat second philosophy. Especially when we can't find a second baseman that can OBP over.. what...275?
    Last edited by edavis0308; 01-19-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously a hell yes from me.

The old adage is wrong. The best OBP and overall hitters should be batting 1,2, and 4, with a speedier type batting first and a power guy 4th. The guy batting 3rd should be a slugger because he often comes up with no one on base and two out in the first inning (Willingham). Batting fifth should be another slugger, but one who shouldn't live and die with it and simply be a HR or K guy.

Disclaimer: lineup construction is somewhat overrated and does really only take shape in the first inning (though it can still be the case in 1-4 innings in tight games).

That said:

X
    Mauer
    Willingham
    Morneau (here's to hoping that he returns to form in 2013.
    Doumit
    Plouffe
    Parmelee
    X
    X

would seem to make the most sense.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Hells yeah.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    For me, Mauer hits too well with RISP to be batting 2nd.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Obviously a hell yes from me..
    But that would mean moving him to second base or short stop, no? Isn't it illegal to not have a middle infielder in the second spot?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    For me, Mauer hits too well with RISP to be batting 2nd.
    Here's the problem I have with this, he's going to be hitting behind the same couple of guys regardless of if he hits 2nd, or 3rd.

You can either move him, along with the rest of the good hitters up in the order, giving them all additional plate appearances, or you can leave him where he is and have two weak players at the top of the lineup instead of just one.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

This is exactly why we need Hicks here at the beginning of the season. We don't have an effective leadoff hitter. *There's news the Twins are seeking Scott Podsednik . He would be a good addition to the team, but the question is where? As the CF? As a fourth or fifth outfielder? If the Twins got him, and kept all of their present players, he could be an effective #2 hitter. But I don't think he's an effective defensive CF; he would be a 4th or 5th outfielder.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    But that would mean moving him to second base or short stop, no? Isn't it illegal to not have a middle infielder in the second spot?
    Great question, and I believe the answer is yes.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Mauer at 2, Eric and I discussed just this idea a couple episodes ago on Talk To Contact, Mauer looks good at 2, especially with the big bats behind him to bring him around the bases.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would vote for this as well. More ABs for Mauer would be a good thing, unless Mauer starts showing more power.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I would vote for this as well. More ABs for Mauer would be a good thing, unless Mauer starts showing more power.
    So if Mauer starts showing more power you want to give him fewer plate appearances?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    This is exactly why we need Hicks here at the beginning of the season. We don't have an effective leadoff hitter. *There's news the Twins are seeking Scott Podsednik . He would be a good addition to the team, but the question is where? As the CF? As a fourth or fifth outfielder? If the Twins got him, and kept all of their present players, he could be an effective #2 hitter. But I don't think he's an effective defensive CF; he would be a 4th or 5th outfielder.
    I would not count on Hicks to be an effective leadoff hitter this year nor would I would put him there.

If Podsednik is brought in then the Twins are clearly planning on keeping Hicks in AAA. Podsednik fits as a platoon partner with Mastro. His defense in CF will be another reason that our pitchers are crying though. And there isn't any room for 5 OF'ers on the team with 12 pitchers, 3 catchers (1 at DH) and a mess in the IF. The team needs 2 backup IF's although I wish one of them was a better hitting 3Bman.

As for Mauer? He gets my vote as a #2 hitter. The team has 4-5 power hitters to put behind him (Morneau, Willy, Doumit, Plouffe and Parmelee) and a few wimpy contact hitters in front of him. The OBP's of these hitters aren't awful but I prefer not to give them extra AB's.

I don't like it. Mauer is a double play machine if the leadoff hitter happens to get on base. We need a guy who can lay down a bunt, hit the opposite way, etc to give Mauer a guy standing on 2nd base when he comes to the plate.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    i think my head exploded reading the last post.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer should bat leadoff. Just think of how many double plays he wouldn't be able to hit into. Plus a 400+on base percentage would be a great way to start off the game. Podsedinek would be a CF/4th OF placeholder till Hicks comes up and to provide competetiton to make sure Hicks is ready. He would be a solid 1 or 2 hitter. Carroll would work as a 2 hitter as well just not as top choice.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    i think my head exploded reading the last post.
    I'm not sure there's a more worthless stat to judge a batter by than GDP.

You've got my vote. I like:
    1. Mastro
    2. Mauer
    3. Morneau
    4. Willingham
    5. Parmelee
    6. Doumit
    7. Plouffe
    8. Carroll
    9. Dozier

I think Morneau will be the best overall hitter on the team next year, and I don't think you hurt yourself by having 2 lefties in a row. When healthy, both Mauer and Morneau have had great splits. I expect Morneau is returning to that type of production. If he doesn't, batting order is moot as the offense won't be effective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast