Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arbitration

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Arbitration

Drew Butera and Twins agree to 700K deal. A little more than I thought...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    He is a waste of space , plain and simple....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Dangit, I really want the payroll higher, and was hoping he got millions..../s

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fair deal... could argue he maybe should be at $650,000, but at the end of the day, what's $50,000. More and More, I'm completely on board with him being around in 2014, until Chris Herrmann is ready to be the backup catcher.

I wanted to read the transcript where both sides entered their reasoning for a low figure or a high figure.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 447 Times in 218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Drew Butera and Twins agree to 700K deal. A little more than I thought...
    Just so we're all on the same page..this is what Butera is paying to be on the roster, right?
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Fair deal... could argue he maybe should be at $650,000, but at the end of the day, what's $50,000. More and More, I'm completely on board with him being around in 2014, until Chris Herrmann is ready to be the backup catcher.
    50,000 is what it would have cost to sign Lara in the rule 5 draft, which would you prefer on the team?
    One weakness i see is from the left side of the pen, Duensing (if he isnt starting) or Robertson .Seems a little weak to me

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    50,000 is what it would have cost to sign Lara in the rule 5 draft, which would you prefer on the team?
    One weakness i see is from the left side of the pen, Duensing (if he isnt starting) or Robertson .Seems a little weak to me
    That horse has been beaten so hard, there's only remnants of hair left Johnny :-)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 306 Times in 149 Posts
    This would tell us they intend to carry 3 catchers again. How many teams do this?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    This would tell us they intend to carry 3 catchers again. How many teams do this?
    Hey, if Doumit and Mauer are both in the lineup (one at DH and one a catcher), and the one catching gets hurt, we'd have to move the one DHing to catcher, forcing the pitcher hit to hit a whole 2, 3 times for one whole game before another catcher got recalled. Could be the difference between a playoff spot and missing the playoffs :-)
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-17-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,216 Times in 487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Doesn't everybody?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    What is the penalty for losing an arbitration hearing with the worst hitter in baseball for the last 50 years?? My guess is that what drives a front office to offer up $700K to Drew Butera.

More than the average person makes in a year . . .

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Hey, if Doumit and Mauer are both in the lineup (one at DH and one a catcher), and the one catching gets hurt, we'd have to move the one DHing to catcher, forcing the pitcher hit to hit a whole 2, 3 times for one whole game before another catcher got recalled. Could be the difference between a playoff spot and missing the playoffs :-)
    This argument (by the Twins, not ThePuck's) is such complete garbage. We waste a roster spot guarding against such a remote possibility, which would only likely hurt us for half a game anyway.

This just popped into my head, though I can't imagine the Twins letting it make any difference with Butera. With the new schedule, AL pitchers are going to be hitting at "random" times throughout the year now, as opposed to only during little blocks of time when the interleague games were scheduled. So are they going to have their pitchers practicing their hitting a little more regularly throughout the season, such that they'd theoretically be a little more prepared if this situation actually managed to come about?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Who would Hermann be backing up in 2014? Mauer and Doumit?

Hermann ought to be ready to be a 3rd string catcher and sit on the bench all the time like Butera does.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    While Doumit is listed as catcher and can play the position, he is a DH and is more the emergency Catcher instead of a back up catcher.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    While Doumit is listed as catcher and can play the position, he is a DH and is more the emergency Catcher instead of a back up catcher.
    Doumit started 59 games at catcher last season, Butera started 41. That would indicate to me that the emergency catcher is Butera.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Butera should get paid more than that for all the work he gets in.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox and Mike Napoli have reached an agreement on a one-year, $5 million contract.

Financial details are provided by CBS Sports' Jon Heyman. The Red Sox originally signed Napoli to a three-year, $39 million contract earlier in the offseason, but talks hit a snag after an issue with one of his hips was reportedly found during a pre-signing physical. The injury is not expected to keep him from being ready for Opening Day, so it's surprising that Napoli wasn't able to do better in free agency. He'll now look to re-establish his value on a new, one-year deal. If healthy, Napoli should remain a decent fantasy option throughout 2013 as Boston's everyday first baseman.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 306 Times in 149 Posts
    [QUOTE=ericchri;77012]This argument (by the Twins, not ThePuck's) is such complete garbage. We waste a roster spot guarding against such a remote possibility, which would only likely hurt us for half a game anyway.

Some people wear tin foil hats to protect against cosmic catastrophe which happens at about the same rate! You can buy a lot of tin foil hats for 700K.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast