Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Interesting Rule that will affect the Twins' next cuts.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting Rule that will affect the Twins' next cuts.

You learn something every day, and not sure that this has always been here or whether it is part of the new CBA, but ESPN NY said in an article (talking about the Mets, but it is applicable for all MLB teams: )
    Any player on the 40-man roster who is still in major league camp on March 20 cannot be optioned to the minors if they are injured and unable to perform -- regardless of when the injury actually occurred. If the player does not heal by Opening Day, he has to go on the major league DL. That means major league service time and major league salary are accumulated.
    Who is in that position (and still in the MLB camp) for the Twins?
    Joe Benson
    Carlos Gutierrez
    Liam Hendriks
    Chris Parmelee
    Rene Tosoni
    Kyle Waldrop

Alex Burnett and Jeff Manship are on their last option season so it does not affect them
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    I don't understand why it wouldn't impact guys with just one option left. The Twins still wouldn't want to pay major league salaries to those guys if they got hurt.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    wait.
    Since when did any of these guys get injured?
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thrylos98,

Nice job finding this rule.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    You learn something every day, and not sure that this has always been here or whether it is part of the new CBA, but ESPN NY said in an article (talking about the Mets, but it is applicable for all MLB teams: )

Who is in that position (and still in the MLB camp) for the Twins?
    Joe Benson
    Carlos Gutierrez
    Liam Hendriks
    Chris Parmelee
    Rene Tosoni
    Kyle Waldrop

Alex Burnett and Jeff Manship are on their last option season so it does not affect them
    thrylos, are you sure this is new, or has the date just changed? I seem to remember this being an issue in previous springs as well. If you get hurt in ST, you go on the ML DL...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's not a new rule.

He did not say it was new. He said it was new to him. And I am guessing to many of us Anyway those guys are being cut then.....or if not cut Monday, we can assume they will be there opening day. What do you think? Waldrop and Gutierrez make it?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I recall, it affected the Twins last year or the year before with a pitcher. I forget who it was, exactly. I don't think it really affects who makes the roster, but it probably means that a significant round of cuts will be made by the 19th.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually the rule has been around for awhile. I don't know how much it really effects things. Occasionally someone gets sent back to the minor league camp a little earlier than they might of otherwise. If a guy has a chance to make the 25 man roster, they aren't going to be sent down. The major effect sometimes, is that the guys that fill out a particular day's roster in the later part of spring training are non 40 man roster guys. That's when you might see a Sano or Rosario or one of the young pitchers for the last inning or so.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    As I recall, it affected the Twins last year or the year before with a pitcher. I forget who it was, exactly. I don't think it really affects who makes the roster, but it probably means that a significant round of cuts will be made by the 19th.
    Pretty sure it was Glen Perkins... I seem to remember some griping that he did it intentionally after that whole grievance thing.

Interesting. I would think Hendriks would have a shot at opening day rotation if Baker doesnt recover in time...could end up being a tricky situation if that's the route they go and then Hendriks were to get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Interesting. I would think Hendriks would have a shot at opening day rotation if Baker doesnt recover in time...could end up being a tricky situation if that's the route they go and then Hendriks were to get hurt.
    Not really. With early days off you can just juggle the rotation.
    Follow me on Twitter: @brandon_warne (drop me a line and I'll follow back)
    Check out the Minnesota Baseball Writer's Alliance Facebook page!
    Finally, GO TWINS!