Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: For Better or Worse: Eddie Rosario

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I'm going to be the pessimist and say that Rosario shows that he is merely a good prospect with moderate upside. He'll be good and could end up as a solid MLB'er.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth - is there a place where we can see all the For Better or Worse write-ups? These are all fun. Thanks

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The key is sticking at second base. If so, then he is a GREAT prospect because he is a great all-around hitter.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    And as pure hitters go, I'll still take Arcia's bat over Eddie's for tops in the system.
    I was going to say the same thing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eddie won't put up the power Sano will. This was already demonstrated last year in Beloit (28 HR's vs 12 HR's). .
    OK? Then what was demonstrated in Elizabethton in 2011??

Rosario hit more HR's than Sano, but Sano didn't get to play 30+ more games than Eddie in 2011.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 01-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I was going to say the same thing.
    Rosario can run, stirkes out less. Arcia is a slower runner, strikes out more. Power numbers are similar. On-base numbers are similar. Both went nuts at ELZ, both will probably be above-average major league hitters. But Rosario has more upside with his speed and contact.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 01-18-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I will be the optimist. Rosario will hit .315 with 25 HR's and 89 RBI's in A+ and AA combined next year. Sano stays in Ft. Myers til 2014.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    OK? Then what was demonstrated in Elizabethton in 2011??

Rosario hit more HR's than Sano, but Sano didn't get to play 30+ more games than Eddie in 2011.
    That Rosario could match Sano's HR totals in smaller ballparks...

Listen, Rosario is 6'0" (probably actually more like 5'10") 170-ish pounds, Sano is 6'3"+, 235+ lbs - that's a HUGE difference in muscle mass and power-profile-projection. Also, It's been witnessed by every scout on the planet that Sano can moonshot balls over fences, while Rosario get's his HR's in a more line-drive capacity. And finally, from day 1 of scouts watching them both play at Elizabethton, they said Rosario wouldn't be able to continue with monster HR totals as he moved up (and if Rosario was going to hit 16 more HR's in those 30 games, I'm pretty sure that would be some kind of record).

While I don't think Sano's HR totals are going to be suppressed all that much by the Florida State League, I do think Rosario's will be, for all the reasons stated above.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I will be the optimist. Rosario will hit .315 with 25 HR's and 89 RBI's in A+ and AA combined next year. Sano stays in Ft. Myers til 2014.
    If that happens, or people even thought it was possible, he'd be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. But it's just not going to.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    And look at their eventual landing spot. Target Field thus far looks to be much more friendly to righties like Sano than it does to lefties like Rosario. A line drive hitter like Rosario is going to have difficulty with the RF porch, all he has to do is ask Justin Morneau.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If that happens, or people even thought it was possible, he'd be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. But it's just not going to.
    I would agree with most of what MNfan predicted except for the HR's. Part of the reason Rosario hit a bunch of HR's at Etown was because of the short RF. Down the line it is just 320 ft with an 8 ft wall. From what I've heard, a lot of his HR's were line drives that barely cleared the wall. In other words they would have been doubles or outs at other parks like Hammond stadium or New Britain stadium.

Blog Entries
    Rosario can run, stirkes out less. Arcia is a slower runner, strikes out more. Power numbers are similar. On-base numbers are similar. Both went nuts at ELZ, both will probably be above-average major league hitters. But Rosario has more upside with his speed and contact.
    All true, but you're comparing a guy who has mashed AA hitting to a guy who hasn't made it out of low A and they're virtually the same age. There's a good chance we see Rosario's K total start rising as he faces good breaking pitches for the first time.

And you don't need speed when you hit the ball harder and farther. Arcia does that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone...Some very interesting perspectives above. I can see how Sano's larger body size means more HR's in most peoples minds. And it sure showed by Sano hitting all those HR's last season while Rosario hit a bunch of doubles. Rosario could have come close to 20 HR's last year and surely would have totaled over 40 doubles, IF he had not been struck in the face with a baseball.

So, I guess we can expect Rosario to be a doubles hitter moving forward. How bout a 3-hole hitter in Minnesota? Or would Arcia fit better in the 3, and Rosario hit 2nd? Sano is the 4-batter, right?

Blog Entries
    So, I guess we can expect Rosario to be a doubles hitter moving forward. How bout a 3-hole hitter in Minnesota? Or would Arcia fit better in the 3, and Rosario hit 2nd? Sano is the 4-batter, right?
    In a perfect world, we'd see a lineup of Hicks/Rosario/Arcia/Sano. Of course, the team will still have Joe Mauer at that point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In a perfect world, we'd see a lineup of Hicks/Rosario/Arcia/Sano. Of course, the team will still have Joe Mauer at that point.
    yeah, and isn't THAT horrible... :-)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dang, thats a pretty projectable group. All in MN by 2015? Mauer hits 5 with these guys? or Arcia?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    yeah, and isn't THAT horrible... :-)
    the best problem they'll have had in years

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Dang, thats a pretty projectable group. All in MN by 2015? Mauer hits 5 with these guys? or Arcia?
    Probably just bump Arcia to 4th and Sano to 5th

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Probably just bump Arcia to 4th and Sano to 5th
    How bout Mauer 3, Sano 4, Arcia 5

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    How bout Mauer 3, Sano 4, Arcia 5
    For me, I'd go Mauer, Arcia, Sano. I think Arcia is a better OVERALL hitter (combination of Power, OBP and BA) than Sano, whereas Sano is more of a power guy. I like mostly power guys in the 5 spot.

It's just a matter of preference...don't think Gardy could go wrong either way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast