Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Which Twins and Twins Prospects are in the upcoming World Baseball Classic

  1. #1

    Which Twins and Twins Prospects are in the upcoming World Baseball Classic

    I was just wondering if anyone here knows who from the Twins organization is playing this year. I know Morneau and Andrew Albers and possibly Scott Diamond will be representing Canada. Who else is playing and for what team?

  2. #2
    So far I've read on the other blogs on this site that Joe Mauer and Glen Perkins will be representing the USA team

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    96
    Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    The rosters are not released yet. I believe that Joe Mauer is on team USA. They mentioned his name when Ryan Braun announced he would play. Team USA keeps announcing names for their roster, and so far, the team is looking pretty damn good.

    The official rosters are being announced on Jan 17th.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    These are all possibilities...

    US - Mauer, Perkins (confirmed)
    Canada - Morneau (confirmed), Albers could. Diamond won't be due to his elbow surgery, I believe.
    Venezuela - could Arcia be on the team?
    Dominican Republic - could they put Sano on the team?
    Italy - Chris Colabello is a strong possibility.
    Australia - I'm sure Beresford will be on the team.
    Netherlands - Stuifbergen will certainly be on the team, and Blyleven will be his pitching coach again. Shairon Martis could be on the team as well.
    Puerto Rico - Nelvin Fuentes has been a contributor on many of their international rosters. I even want to say he was on the last WBC team. Could they add Rosario?

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Diamond won't play due to his offseason surgery.

    Twins | Scott Diamond won't play in WBC - MLB Hot off the Wire

    Hendriks is out for the same reason.

    I wonder if Puerto Rico will need guys like Berrios and Rosario. I remember they took Gutierrez in 2009.

  6. #6
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Drew Butera tweeted that he has been added to the team from Italy.

    Also, heard today that Eddie Rosario has made the Puerto Rican team, which is pretty impressive.

  7. #7
    Colabello said he won't do World...wants to impress in spring training.

    So, when you need lots of catchers (especially those who mainly catch and your main one is on team USA), someone decides to play for another team. Time not to give the guy a major league contract.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    So, when you need lots of catchers (especially those who mainly catch and your main one is on team USA), someone decides to play for another team. Time not to give the guy a major league contract.
    Yeah, THIS is the reason they should cut Butera.

  9. #9
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Also heard: Along with Eddie Rosario, RHP JO Berrios will be named to the team from Puerto Rico. Quite an honor!

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Rosario and Barrios, wow, that is impressive. Rosario has been killing it in winterball. He can flat out hit.

  11. #11
    Australia have selected James Beresford and Brendan Wise

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    13
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    So the Twin's are sending two of their injury prone stars, Mauer, Morneau to this Tournament.
    Is this worth the risk" Who pays their salaries? This is a useless tournament that proves nothing unless you are Japan and Korea.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    So the Twin's are sending two of their injury prone stars, Mauer, Morneau to this Tournament.
    Is this worth the risk" Who pays their salaries? This is a useless tournament that proves nothing unless you are Japan and Korea.
    The risk...

    Jayson Stark just wrote an article about this, basically debunking this sentiment . . .

    Here is the link if you'd like to read it: http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/...

    but here are the interesting parts if not:

    •Players who didn't play in the WBC in 2009 were nearly twice as likely to spend time on the disabled list in April that year as players who did take part in the WBC -- 17.8 percent of non-WBC participants versus 9.5 percent (just 11 of 115) of those who did participate.

    •There were 73 players on the disabled list when the 2009 season opened. Only two of them were players who were involved in the WBC. Just one (Rick Vandenhurk) was a pitcher. The other wasn't actually "injured." He was out with an ulcer.

    • In only two of the last eight seasons has baseball started the season with under 9 percent of active players on the disabled list. It happened to be the two years in which the WBC had just taken place during spring training -- 2006 and 2009.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    13
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    The risk...

    Jayson Stark just wrote an article about this, basically debunking this sentiment . . .

    Here is the link if you'd like to read it: http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/...

    but here are the interesting parts if not:

    •Players who didn't play in the WBC in 2009 were nearly twice as likely to spend time on the disabled list in April that year as players who did take part in the WBC -- 17.8 percent of non-WBC participants versus 9.5 percent (just 11 of 115) of those who did participate.

    •There were 73 players on the disabled list when the 2009 season opened. Only two of them were players who were involved in the WBC. Just one (Rick Vandenhurk) was a pitcher. The other wasn't actually "injured." He was out with an ulcer.

    • In only two of the last eight seasons has baseball started the season with under 9 percent of active players on the disabled list. It happened to be the two years in which the WBC had just taken place during spring training -- 2006 and 2009.
    So, nobody has a problem sending Mauer and Morneau. Most of the time, these two breeze through a season without injury issues.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    So, nobody has a problem sending Mauer and Morneau. Most of the time, these two breeze through a season without injury issues.
    I have no issues with it at all...quite the contrary.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I wouldn't worry much about Morneau. He can't be playing too many games before the Canadians get bounced. What three round robin games? It's beeen awhile I forget the exact format.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    So, nobody has a problem sending Mauer and Morneau. Most of the time, these two breeze through a season without injury issues.
    When the evidence presented shows it hasn't impacted the participants' health negatively, then no, what's the problem? If the limited sample size is to be believed, it even reduces their risk of ending up hurt during the season.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,906
    Like
    443
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I wouldn't worry much about Morneau. He can't be playing too many games before the Canadians get bounced. What three round robin games? It's beeen awhile I forget the exact format.
    Exactly!.......wait a minute, that was an insult wasn't it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.