Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Saunders

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
    I saw someone earlier say 2.5 WAR. ??? I see 0.6 which is much less attractive.
    Fangraphs has him at 2.5

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Fangraphs has him at 2.5
    I said it.

Joe Saunders » Statistics » Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,192 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    For anyone who has too much time on their hands for their own good, back in November, I laid out my rationale for why the Twins shouldn't let overpaying, in terms of years on a contract, stop them from going after pitching. You can read it by clicking here.
    I enjoyed re-reading your analysis. It does point up the tremendous flexibility the Twins should have in 2015 and for a while after that. What is missing from the analysis, I think, is the "value of information". We know (or believe) certain things today. In the off-season a year from now, we will know some things we don't know now - for example a few players we are sorry we didn't sign, and also a few that already look bad (with 2 years to go if you had signed them to a 3-year contract), as well as a year's hindsight on the players you did sign. Two off-seasons from now, even greater amounts of information of this type will be available. Two flavors of regret, and two of gladness, will have definite and estimate-able financial measures.

We have to keep in mind also that this isn't the last train that will leave the station. Next off-season, a new crop of free agents will be available, and again the year before season 2015. Say there is about $50M of flexibility in that year's budget, as you surmise. Do you pull the trigger now and commit part of that, or do you wait until another year and sign some pitchers, and repeat the process a year later?

Factor into that, that revenues for every team are due to go up. This will result in a bidding-up of salaries in future off-seasons. So a $11M contract for a Joe Saunders in 2015 might indeed look like a bargain, if he is still delivering results like the past few years. You have to weigh that against the risk of his not delivering much in the way of results.

So, it's complex and there are counter-weighing effects. But I still think that there's a lot to be said for taking on *no* particular risk for 2015, at this time, and focus really hard on 1- and 2-year contracts *this* offseason to help bridge to that date. The risk that you take on, measured in terms of steps you no longer might be able to take in 2015, outweighs the benefit of making 2013 a better season. I think the calculation changes dramatically next off-season, and you can take on risk in future years with greater hope that it won't bring you regret and narrowed options in 2015. And then in the off-season following that, I'm all for loading up with some really prime free-agent talent that requires you to add significant risk to 2017 and a little beyond, in exchange for a real chance of serious contention (for meaningful October games, not just September) in 2015.

And that's how I've viewing every move Terry Ryan has made this off-season. So far, his focus on 2015 has been laser-like; I'm just not satisfied with the 2013 stopgap measures he's come up with.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 144 Times in 77 Posts
    I'd do it at this point, even for 3 years. Money is no issue. We are barely at $80 million and 2014 payroll is of almost no concern given Morneau coming off the books, etc. The only reason to protest this over money is if you are a Pohlad heir. Money not spent on Saunders (or anyone else) is simply not going to be spent in future years/on the draft at this point. They are so far under their 'cap' that it's simply going to be pocketed.

As for 'blocking' anyone, when is the last time that was truly an issue? If the younger guys are ready, Corriea will be swiftly shown the bullpen door or released long before Saunders.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm on board with Saunders for 2 years... but again, pick a number you're comfortable with... $20 million? 25 million? And stick to it. If he gets that third year, or he gets more than the per-year value, then don't.
    If you're comfortable with 20-25 million, does it matter to you if he gets it over 3 years instead of 2? You're Offseason GM Handbook projected 3 years $24 million I think. Most of the other better SPs ended up signing for more than what you guys projected. Saunders has not been as coveted, obviously. But if the Twins can get him for a $20-24 million commitment... whether 3 years, 2 years with an option, or whatever... I don't see the downside.

Would I have liked to get one of the hard throwing top of the rotation FAs? Absolutely. Am I disappointed TR didn't make a serious effort to get one of those guys? Yes. Would that stop me from wanting Saunders at this point? Nope.

I'm on record saying I believe the Twins need to do SOMETHING to prove to fans that they are serious about trying to put a better product on the field in 2013 and I would consider signing Saunders to fit that criteria.

Then again, all we've heard is that they're talking to Saunders and/or his agent. We've heard that about a lot of guys, so this is possibly a lot of discussion over nothing.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    We have to keep in mind also that this isn't the last train that will leave the station. Next off-season, a new crop of free agents will be available, and again the year before season 2015. Say there is about $50M of flexibility in that year's budget, as you surmise. Do you pull the trigger now and commit part of that, or do you wait until another year and sign some pitchers, and repeat the process a year later?
    I would like to think this would be factored into the decisions, but next year's free agent pitchers do not appear very strong at all. Josh Johnson and Adam Wainwright headline the class but there's a good chance they'll resign with their clubs. Matt Garza could end up being the best of the rest followed by some very questionable or very old arms. This year seemed to have a lot more depth. While I hope I'm wrong, I truely doubt the Twins will ever go into an offseason thinking they have $50 million to spend. I'd doubt they would spend more than $20 million on free agents. I half suspect this assumed low 2013 payroll is a way to set a low baseline to measure furture payrolls against.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    did I disagree with you?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I half suspect this assumed low 2013 payroll is a way to set a low baseline to measure furture payrolls against.
    If you think 80M is low, wait till next year and the year after...

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    did I disagree with you?
    Nope. I was mobile and it was easier to quote you then to go back a page to quote the first half of that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    If you think 80M is low, wait till next year and the year after...
    Yup, that's what I mean, if the Twins spent say $90 million this year, there would be even more outrage when payroll drops to $70 million after another 90 loss season. And then if the Twins by some unlikely happenstance DO get back to the $80 million range they have this year, they'll proudly tell the fans, "See, we kept payroll the same even though you guys didn't show up to the stadium. We're not so cheap after all!"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm skeptical how healthy Pelfrey will be to start the season, I believe Harden is beyond an extreme longshot to be in the rotation, Worley's coming off injury, Diamond had surgery and looked to be fading a bit towards the end of the season, and Correia just looks to top out at very mediocre. Then you have Gibson on an innings limit, and a bunch of guys without enough sample size to know what you'll get.

I'd love to see them spend money on a guy with a track record that says "he'll be league-average, maybe a hair better or worse" for 180+ innings. If it takes 3 years, so be it. Then we can start washing the AAAA guys out of our system over the next couple years but not have to turn over the entire rotation in the process. Would it be so bad to have a Saunders getting bumped down to # 4-5 but still in the rotation in 2015 (and that assumes success from 3-4 of Diamond, Worley, May, Meyer, Hermsen, Hendricks, Gibson, all of whom have not enough history to be certain of anything)?

In 2015 and 2016 your Diamonds and Worleys start to get expensive. ,In 2017 your Gibson gets expensive. In 2018 your May and Meyer get expensive. You will be juggling keeping your own or letting them go and signing someone for the interm.. If Saunders is overpaid for 2013 and 2014, he will also be underpaid come 2015, and the Twins payroll will be so low (no Blackburn, No Correria, No Willingham, no Doumit). 2016-2018 will be arbitration years for anyone the Twins play this year and next. There is still some control, and some overpayment as the decade ends...or newer blood takes those places. Do we pay a Johnson or Wainwright $24-30 million next year to have them pitch thru 2016. Wait for the the 2015 season and sign a guy to pitch in 2016-2017 for $12-15 million a year? And whatever is owed, say, a Saunders in 2015 may be off the books in 2014 if the team advances younguns and he becomes tradebait at a reasonable cost, assuming he pitches to a 180+ inning mark with a respecable .425+ ERA.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,192 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I would like to think this would be factored into the decisions, but next year's free agent pitchers do not appear very strong at all.
    I didn't think this year's crop was all that strong either. Maybe that's a trend - teams more willing to lock up their own players to competitive contracts - arguably even a healthy trend for the game itself. Doesn't bode well for a team just entering a period of renewed competitiveness, that wants to make a key signing or two to help push them over the top, though.

Imagine if in October 2015 we're looking back and saying "man, I wish we had Joe Saunders and his 4.50 ERA for only $10M, we'd have won the division." Like I was saying, "perfect information" goes both directions, even if I think the negative outcomes outweigh the positive ones for the average move taken now. A few weeks ago, when the question was whether to go to 5 years for a certain guy, I took a look at the established starters in the AL 5 years previous, and almost without exception, some new team *had* taken a flyer on each guy, and by year 5 there was some significant degree of regret. Of course the question needs to include whether significant benefit was obtained in the early years; also, 5 years is a lot different than just 3.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Saunders just doesn't have the upside I want in a pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    In 2015 and 2016 your Diamonds and Worleys start to get expensive. ,In 2017 your Gibson gets expensive. In 2018 your May and Meyer get expensive. You will be juggling keeping your own or letting them go and signing someone for the interm.. If Saunders is overpaid for 2013 and 2014, he will also be underpaid come 2015, and the Twins payroll will be so low (no Blackburn, No Correria, No Willingham, no Doumit). 2016-2018 will be arbitration years for anyone the Twins play this year and next. There is still some control, and some overpayment as the decade ends...or newer blood takes those places. Do we pay a Johnson or Wainwright $24-30 million next year to have them pitch thru 2016. Wait for the the 2015 season and sign a guy to pitch in 2016-2017 for $12-15 million a year? And whatever is owed, say, a Saunders in 2015 may be off the books in 2014 if the team advances younguns and he becomes tradebait at a reasonable cost, assuming he pitches to a 180+ inning mark with a respecable .425+ ERA.
    By starting to get expensive, do you mean hitting arbitration years?

P.S., don't forget no Morny

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I didn't think this year's crop was all that strong either. Maybe that's a trend - teams more willing to lock up their own players to competitive contracts - arguably even a healthy trend for the game itself. Doesn't bode well for a team just entering a period of renewed competitiveness, that wants to make a key signing or two to help push them over the top, though.
    Maybe I just see things differently but I am getting tired of this narrative, one pushed by the Twins. The problem, and what shapes the perception, is that the Twins don't fall into the category of team in your last sentence. They don't have interest in signing "key" or impact FA.

You are probably right that in general starting pitchers are valued and locked up by their teams more than, say, corner OF, but that doesn't mean this year was weak in comparison to other years.

Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember getting ripped for suggesting we trade for him last year. Just saying.....
    We absolutely should sign him to a 2 or 3 year contract. Any of our pitchers can always be traded if we have a surplus. you can never have enough pitching. now if we can get the Twins to sign Sanchez or Johnson to play 2b. I would say we are close to a .500 team at that point and could contend it things break right.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I remember getting ripped for suggesting we trade for him last year. Just saying.....
    We absolutely should sign him to a 2 or 3 year contract. Any of our pitchers can always be traded if we have a surplus. you can never have enough pitching. now if we can get the Twins to sign Sanchez or Johnson to play 2b. I would say we are close to a .500 team at that point and could contend it things break right.
    You think getting Saunders and Sanchez/Johnson at 2B makes us close to .500 and possible contenders?

Hillarious how people bitch and moan about not signing any good free agent pitchers and then this Saunders rumor comes back around and those same people are saying that they wouln't go 3-years for him. How many good free agents sign 2-year contracts (aside from Corriea, jk)?

Also, for those that would sign him to a 2-year contract at a higher average annual salary, WHY? Why would you sign him to a 2-year $20 million contract when you could sign him to a 3-year $24 million contract. An annual salary of $8 million is more desirable to an acquiring team if he gets traded meaning better prospects plus you get an extra year of team control.
    Last edited by Big City; 01-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    Hillarious how people bitch and moan about not signing any good free agent pitchers and then this Saunders rumor comes back around and those same people are saying that they wouln't go 3-years for him. How many good free agents sign 2-year contracts (aside from Corriea, jk)?
    You're sure they are the same people? Cause I'm all for getting him

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast