Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: The Fifth Starter

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Are you saying that, as a rule, most teams do that?
    No, I said that quite often teams have the option of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson
    So let's start Gibson as the long man in the bullpen (instead of Swarzak). Give him about 50 innings in that role. When Pelfrey wears out, move Gibson to the rotation and move Pelfrey back to the bullpen (or trade him for a prospect). That'll give Gibson 15 starts or so and 120 innings overall.
    I could get behind that. Problem is that Pelfrey seems somewhat unlikely to be ready to step in at the start of the season, unless his rehab goes extremely well.

Has there ever been a rotation where no starter ever made it to the 8th inning? Maybe this team does have a chance to make history.

Liam Hendriks goes in spring training as the 5th starter & its his job to win or lose.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I could get behind that. Problem is that Pelfrey seems somewhat unlikely to be ready to step in at the start of the season, unless his rehab goes extremely well.
    Ryan said he expects Pelfrey to be fully ready for Spring Training and to start the year with the team. Perhapsthat's over-optimistic. But I trust he has some medical reason for saying that. Pelfrey did have to pass an extensive physical before the contract was official.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Pelfrey is a veteran and is basically in the same boat as Baker. Pelfrey's TJ surgery was only 2 weeks after Baker's. So if the Twins expected Baker to be ready by opening day there is no reason Pelfrey won't be. Also since Pelfrey is a 5+ year veteran he won't have the innings restrictions as the rookie Gibson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123