Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mastroianni an everyday centerfielder

Is Mastroianni an everyday centerfielder

On another forum I post on, there are quite a few who don't believe Mastroianni can be an everyday centerfielder. I disagree. Following his stats in the minors, it appears he was drafted out of a Div II school in which he was an All-American and batted .407. He began his professional career in 2007 and steadily rose in Toronto's organization. It didn't appear he got a fair shake there, made one major league appearance, got sent back down and then DFA'd when the Twins picked him up. Notable highlights from his minor league career, he stole 70 bases one year in the minors and was named to a number of league All-Star teams. He impressed me last season as a gamer. He played well defensively and appeared to have a pretty strong arm, at least it seemed stronger than Revere or Span. His speed was a good if not better than Revere and he certainly could steal bases. What are the thoughts here?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he is good enough to start the season with to give seasoning and time for Hicks to work on things in AAA for a couple months. The problem for me isn't whether or not Mastroianni is a capable CF and a good enough player to be a starter. The issue is that he certainly doesn't belong at the top of the order, so there is a problem there.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Better learn how to hit a ton of grounders and bunt his tail off.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    The Blue Jays didn't think so.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he could be if he finds a way to cut down on his strikeouts.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I like Mastroianni and think there is no harm in giving him a chance to make the jump to everyday starter. The Twins might as well give him 450-500 ABs as the lead off hitter and see what they have.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the reality is that we don't know... He did a nice job in the 4th OF role. The assumption is that he would be less successful as an every day guy because of more scouting reports. He'd be over-exposed. But, he's young enough that he could be a decent every day guy. But, he's certainly not in the level of Hicks or Benson when it comes to upside.

My assumption is he's a fourth OF who could fill in admirably for a few weeks or a month at a time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope he can be a productive player while Hicks polishes his game in AAA for some time. My question is, since its January I don't feel bad stretching this out, if he does play well and Hicks is tearing it up in AAA, do you bring up Hicks and finally let Mastro play some at 2B? He did play there some in AAA correct? I might be mistaken.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Span's last 3 years OBP - .331 .328 .342 Revere last year .333 Mastroianni .328
    Minor leagues - Span OBP .355 Revere .383 Mastroianni .368
    Mastroianni should steal more bases than Span but less than Revere
    He should hit more home runs than Revere but less than Span

I think Mastroianni playing CF and batting 1st or 2nd is waaay down the list as far as issues for this year.
    Perfect spot to give him a full time shot and see if he can handle it. If he can't produce as an everyday player he is a very useful 4th outfielder. This has a much better chance of working than our 2B - SS options, starting pitching and overall defense. I think the way this roster is currently constructed that this is the worst defensive team that the Twins have ever fielded. Mastroianni will be our best defensive player by far.
    Last edited by Otwins; 01-14-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: missed a word

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope

He'll play his butt off, and if he can get on base, he will steal. But I think pitchers will catch on to him. You might guarantee him 3-4 at bats a game, but not 4-5, so he would be an end-of-the-order semi-regular. Again, though, he is hungry and will battle his butt off to prove himself if given the chance.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed that putting Mastro in CF isn't a problem. Leading off is up for debate but I don't see the harm in giving him a shot if Hicks isn't ready (or Benson). When they made the trades I did the same research and didn't think Mastro's numbers were horrible for a lead off, at least short term. He certainly runs the base paths the way Gardy prefers in a lead off guy.

Big picture, he probably isn't there for the long haul. As stated earlier, this would be low on the list of "problems" to fix.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    He'll play his butt off, and if he can get on base, he will steal. But I think pitchers will catch on to him. You might guarantee him 3-4 at bats a game, but not 4-5, so he would be an end-of-the-order semi-regular. Again, though, he is hungry and will battle his butt off to prove himself if given the chance.
    Thats what I want to see. A guy giving his all to stay in the game. I'll be behind that guy every time.

I hope he cements himself a career... This is his window and it could be a short window. These players go thru a lot just to have a chance like this.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who knows, maybe this is his chance like Span got when Gomez couldn't handle the job. At the time people weren't too high on Span.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins should bring Hicks north. Time to give him a years experence in a no pressure situation. Can send back down for a month or two if overmatched.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I hope he can be a productive player while Hicks polishes his game in AAA for some time. My question is, since its January I don't feel bad stretching this out, if he does play well and Hicks is tearing it up in AAA, do you bring up Hicks and finally let Mastro play some at 2B? He did play there some in AAA correct? I might be mistaken.
    was drafted as 2b

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I think the Twins should bring Hicks north. Time to give him a years experence in a no pressure situation. Can send back down for a month or two if overmatched.
    what does history tell us? in april they say the kid needs more seasoning in rochestor , then once he doesnt have enough time to be a super 2 arbritationer , he magicaly is ready

Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Thats what I want to see. A guy giving his all to stay in the game. I'll be behind that guy every time.

I hope he cements himself a career... This is his window and it could be a short window. These players go thru a lot just to have a chance like this.
    Well said, old friend. I feel the same way.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Not sure if he should be, but I bet he is a MLB CF next season.

Mastroianni should not be a candidate for the starting CF job, because he has a serious hole in his swing (the same one Valencia has) and it won't take teams long to figure it out and exploit it. Now, if he could adjust and close that hole, I'd be more inclinded to give him a shot... Overall though, I think Hicks is a better choice, because he's a switch hitter, he walks a lot and from all indications, he's a better outfielder than Mastroianni. I like Mastroianni as a fourth outfielder, because he can come in at the end of the game as a defensive upgrade or as a pinch runner and steal a base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast