Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bollinger: Blackburn to Miss Start of Season after Wrist Surgery

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    It doesnt answer how, when and why in the story , just next wensday ,he will have surgery.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    Well that's just great, now we're down to just five #6 starters.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Somehow I don't feel a great sense of loss.

On the other hand, if he can come back healthy, Rochester will have a decent pitcher for our $5 million investment. So not all bad.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Well that's just great, now we're down to just five #6 starters.
    Thank god for pitching depth.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    So...did he do something stupid or is the medical team rearing its ugly head again?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 451 Times in 220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I suspect Vegas oddsmakers have already downgraded Rochester's chances of making the playoffs, as a result.
    I'm sure you meant to say upgraded.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 451 Times in 220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So...did he do something stupid?
    Threw a baseball?
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    Threw a baseball?
    Well played sir.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Did he injure himself the same way as Liriano?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    My only disappointment is we had a shot to have the worst pitcher in the AL (Blackburn) AND the worst pitcher in the NL (Correia) in the same rotation.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a sinking feeling about this

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a sinking feeling about many of the blog commenters who are posting on this particular string. Blackburn's a good guy who started his career with two solid years. He hasn't been as good on the mound since then, but he/no one deserves some of these comments. It's ridiculous! Show some class!!

I hope the surgery goes well.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I have a sinking feeling about many of the blog commenters who are posting on this particular string. Blackburn's a good guy who started his career with two solid years. He hasn't been as good on the mound since then, but he/no one deserves some of these comments. It's ridiculous! Show some class!!

I agree. I have never read anything suggesting that Blackburn has ever given less than 100%. Yes, Blackburn's pitching has been terrible, but maybe the bone chips have been a factor.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

You must not have heard from the baseball folks that we're supposed to hope he fails if we're smart fans. I think it was because he had a bad couple of years. I didn't quite get the logic, but then again, I'm not one of the cool kids...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I wish the guy well, but the disdain for Blackburn can be laid at the feet of the front office and the managers on the field. Had the team not decided to give him a terrible contract, they would have not been trying to wedge him into the rotation the last two years and the fans wouldn't rue his previously forced inclusion on the 25-man roster.

A similar thing happened with Nick Punto. The team kept trying to make Punto a starting infielder because he was getting paid like one. This drew the ire of fans who were tired of his offensive inabilities. Had Punto been slotted yearly into the utility role as he should have, fans would have loved the scrappy, hard working guy who came off the bench three times a week just like they did with Denny Hocking and Al Newman.

Both guys got paid which should be medicine enough for the hate mail, but it was the teams stubborness in trying to save money by pounding a square peg into a round hole that is the reason for the angry fans.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-15-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I wish the guy well, but the disdain for Blackburn can be laid at the feet of the front office and the managers on the field. Had the team not decided to give him a terrible contract, they would have not been trying to wedge him into the rotation the last two years and the fans wouldn't rue his previously forced inclusion on the 25-man roster.

A similar thing happened with Nick Punto. The team kept trying to make Punto a starting infielder because he was getting paid like one. This drew the ire of fans who were tired of his offensive inabilities. Had Punto been slotted yearly into the utility role as he should have, fans would have loved the scrappy, hard working guy who came off the bench three times a week just like they did with Denny Hocking and Al Newman.

Both guys got paid which should be medicine enough for the hate mail, but it was the teams stubborness in trying to save money by pounding a square peg into a round hole that is the reason for the angry fans.
    Agree. I think the root of it is the fact that people don't want him to do well so it doesnt reinforce the idea to the FO that he is the type of pitcher they should be signing, putting money into, etc. If he tanks hardcore, maybe the FO will get the idea a little faster they need to look at pitchers with different 'styles' instead of patting themselves on the back and signing more pitchers in the Blackburn/Correia type mold.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I feel had for Blackburn....no one should be happy someone gets hurt. I hope he recovers and pitches well again someday.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Intent surely matters. It should be clear to everyone, even Nick Blackburn's mother, that these comments are playful and not at all mean-spirited. While everyone wishes him health and happiness in his personal life, a little bit of guff from the peanut gallery is part of the price of being a public figure, a millionaire, and poor baseball player.

This is blunt,but not classless: I can be sad that Nick got hurt, but I can also find solace that he won't be pitching for my favorite baseball team and other, better players can be given a chance to play. That's not shameful. It's honest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast