Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Middle Infield Help

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Middle Infield Help

I know a lot of posters on here have suggested going after Kelly Johnson. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I was looking through the list of potential free agents and one name caught my eye. Freddy Sanchez. I know he has had health issues. He should come cheap and he would be a nice two hole hitter. I think either one would be worth a shot. Thoughts?

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I don't know, he might not post more than 2 WAR, and since that won't by itself make us competitive this year, that would be spending money foolishly.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    I don't know, he might not post more than 2 WAR, and since that won't by itself make us competitive this year, that would be spending money foolishly.
    with few exception, during a 162 game season teams win 50 games and they lose 50 games. It's what you do with the other 62 that makes the difference.

But we get it, you don't think we should spend. You'd rather they just pocket the money and have us be even worse than we could be if we spent. So much for their promises...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I thought we should of jumped on Izturis, but with that a non issue now,
    there really isnt much help out there, i think 2b will either have the gremlin or dozier.
    So in this case with what we could sign , standing pat doesnt bother me .

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    with few exception, during a 162 game season teams win 50 games and they lose 50 games. It's what you do with the other 62 that makes the difference.

But we get it, you don't think we should spend. You'd rather they just pocket the money and have us be even worse than we could be if we spent. So much for their promises...
    My post was supposed to be sarcastic.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a good idea. We need a #1 or #2 batter. I'd sign Sanchez or Kelly if they're not overpriced. Terry Ryan, however, announced they will use their team options at SS and 2B. He seems to want a 3B, for whatever reason. Play Plouffe, and sign a middle infielder! Our 2B and SS are going to be infinitely mediocre.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this goes against the prevailing opinion here, but I'd rather see them give a legit chance to Florimon at SS and Dozier at 2B. They will both be 26 this season and if they are ever more than utility players they need to prove it now. Carroll is the perfect utility guy as he can play all three IF spots. Leave Escobar in AAA to play SS.

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I know this goes against the prevailing opinion here, but I'd rather see them give a legit chance to Florimon at SS and Dozier at 2B. They will both be 26 this season and if they are ever more than utility players they need to prove it now. Carroll is the perfect utility guy as he can play all three IF spots. Leave Escobar in AAA to play SS.
    I agree with you that the focus should be building for the future, so why not give these players a change to prove themselves? On the other hand, if one of them falters, why not give Escobar a chance?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sanchez if cheap enough would be worth the gamble. Let's see what he has.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    My God, Ryan didn't make an offer to any of the dozen middle infield free agents. He didn't pick one up in the rule 5 draft. You know Dan Uggla was a rule 5 pickup. Surely one of them is going to bean all star and the Twins are missing out. Why didn't they sign Andino was he wasn't tendered? That front office is just not doing their job.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Put the young players out there and see what they can do. I do not think adding an old middle infielder helps this team compete this year, nor does it help them develop players for the future. They have clearly decided this is not a year to contend, given that, only young players should be up or added.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Either of these guys would likely make the team better for not a lot of money. They also have the chance of being trade bait in July. If the point is not to put the best team on the field why have Willingham, Doumit and Morneau on the team? If it's about letting young guys play trade these guys and let all the young guys play.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    SP is where it's at, I think we should spend there, we need a few more. MI adds doesn't really help us much, but it would be nice to add a good bat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Try to get Mauer to play a little backup 3b or 2b and you would be pretty set. it's his team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    SP is where it's at, I think we should spend there, we need a few more. MI adds doesn't really help us much, but it would be nice to add a good bat.
    MIs add a lot, especially if they are quality fielders with a little pop or have good OBPs. This team might set a record for least amount of strikeouts in a 162 game season. Need people who can field.

Right now, the Twins have no 40-man roster spots. The only players considered on the bubble would be free agents like Roeincke or Wood (shades of Gray and Maloney), DeVries or Swarzak, probably Butera. They have a Rule 5 guy. I doubt they would deep-six Thielbar or Hernandez, although both are possibilities. Is Florimon also a bubble player? They would be foolish to let go of Benson or Mastro. So that is the Twins problem right now. With Haren in the wings looking for a roster spot, too.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I think they most need to see what they have in the system. That appears to be more important than fielding well or not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    MIs add a lot, especially if they are quality fielders with a little pop or have good OBPs. This team might set a record for least amount of strikeouts in a 162 game season. Need people who can field.
    Last year our pitching staff threw 943Ks (and Liriano had 109 of them). 943Ks was, by far, the least of any pitching staff last year. The next highest had 143 more than we did. To put that into perspective....the difference between 29th in teams Ks and 14th in team Ks, was less than 143.

Defense is going to be important.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Right now, the Twins have no 40-man roster spots. The only players considered on the bubble would be free agents like Roeincke or Wood (shades of Gray and Maloney), DeVries or Swarzak, probably Butera. They have a Rule 5 guy. I doubt they would deep-six Thielbar or Hernandez, although both are possibilities. Is Florimon also a bubble player? They would be foolish to let go of Benson or Mastro. So that is the Twins problem right now. With Haren in the wings looking for a roster spot, too.
    They can put Blackburn on the60-day DL and open a spot on the roster.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Just make Mauer the shortstop and go out and find a catcher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast