Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Middle Infield Help

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    They can put Blackburn on the60-day DL and open a spot on the roster.
    Blacky was outrighted and no longer on the 40 man last year.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    An interesting angle with Sanchez is that he is a legitimately good hitter even if he can't play defense. The best case scenario is that he's healthy enough to play regularly and he's a big addition for very little salary. Even if his health is bad enough that he can't really play 2nd (or 3rd), having him as an extra bat is still useful. He is a career .342/.383/.489 hitter against lefties. Morneau, Parmalee, & Doumit all have weaknesses against lefties, and Mauer could rest some days too. Having Sanchez available to DH against lefties, pinch hit on other days, and maybe play second for a few innings after doing so isn't a bad fallback plan. They are probably going to carry a second utility guy...it might as well be one that can hit and gives you some upside.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    They can put Blackburn on the60-day DL and open a spot on the roster.
    As Ultimo said, Blackburn is not on the 40-man roster, but if he was there is no DL (15 day or 60 day) until the end of ST.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not not Haren, It's Harden we got. Two completely different pitches.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Right now, the Twins have no 40-man roster spots. The only players considered on the bubble would be free agents like Roeincke or Wood (shades of Gray and Maloney), DeVries or Swarzak, probably Butera. They have a Rule 5 guy. I doubt they would deep-six Thielbar or Hernandez, although both are possibilities. Is Florimon also a bubble player? They would be foolish to let go of Benson or Mastro. So that is the Twins problem right now. With Haren in the wings looking for a roster spot, too.
    Who is Haren?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    With Boston looking for a left handed 1b , is it posible to build a package around Justin , Harrison , Boyd and maybe Hermsen to aquire Bogaerts?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    I'm on board with bringing in a guy like Sanchez even if he sits on the bench. At this point we're going to have what, Hicks leading off and Carroll batting 2nd? Yuck. At the very least, I'd like to have a legit PH option when Florimon comes up with 2 on in the 7th and Escobar or Carroll is not that guy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I'm on board with bringing in a guy like Sanchez even if he sits on the bench. At this point we're going to have what, Hicks leading off and Carroll batting 2nd? Yuck. At the very least, I'd like to have a legit PH option when Florimon comes up with 2 on in the 7th and Escobar or Carroll is not that guy.
    Won't be Hicks...not to start the season...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Won't be Hicks...not to start the season...
    Just saw an article today that Gardy demanded Ryan give him a 'fair shot'. Either way, Mastro and Carroll is not much more appealing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Just saw an article today that Gardy demanded Ryan give him a 'fair shot'. Either way, Mastro and Carroll is not much more appealing.
    PR talk...saying what people want to hear...highly doubt they give him a shot to be a Super-Two. They'll say he needs some seasoning in AAA.

Do you have a link to Gardy's demand?

I'd probably say Maestro and Carroll is even less appealing. I have high hopes for Hicks, whenever they decide to bring him up...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    PR talk...saying what people want to hear...highly doubt they give him a shot to be a Super-Two. They'll say he needs some seasoning in AAA.

Do you have a link to Gardy's demand?

I'd probably say Maestro and Carroll is even less appealing. I have high hopes for Hicks, whenever they decide to bring him up...
    Ask and you shall receive. Look and you can find
    Sports

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Ask and you shall receive. Look and you can find
    Sports
    I appreciate the link...but I didn't see a demand in there. Did I miss it?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    I appreciate the link...but I didn't see a demand in there. Did I miss it?
    Oops, din't look close enough. The original poster is not the first to twist what someone has said. On 1500espn Mackey wrote this
    "
    But when the possibility arose that both could be dealt, manager
    Ron Gardenhire
    was adamant about one thing:If the centerfield job were to open up, Aaron Hicks deserves a legitimate shot to take it."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Oops, din't look close enough. The original poster is not the first to twist what someone has said. On 1500espn Mackey wrote this
    "
    Ron Gardenhire
    was adamant about one thing:If the centerfield job were to open up, Aaron Hicks deserves a legitimate shot to take it."

I'm not sure I could stretch anything in there to be deemed a demand, but thanks again for the links. Ryan had already said Hicks would be in the mix for the job...whether or not what he said was true or not (unlikely) is another matter, but it's not like Ryan was telling everyone no chance Hicks gets the job and then Gardy stood up and said I DEMAND he gets a fair shot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    "
    Ron Gardenhire

I could have sworn that Gardy said a lot of the same stuff before last ST about Dozier.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts
    1) Being "adamant" that he deserves a legitimate shot is pretty much "demanding" that he deserves a legitimate shot. Let's not play the sophistry game.

2) Dozier got a legitimate shot. 80+ games in the bigs means perform or get sent down. Not being brought up at all means not getting a shot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    1) Being "adamant" that he deserves a legitimate shot is pretty much "demanding" that he deserves a legitimate shot. Let's not play the sophistry game.

2) Dozier got a legitimate shot. 80+ games in the bigs means perform or get sent down. Not being brought up at all means not getting a shot.
    Not playing anything..doesn't sound like a demand. Sounds less like a demand when Ryan already said Maestro, Benson and Hicks would all be given a shot for the CF job. It's like a husband telling a wife, 'I demand you give me the last piece of pie.' to which the wife replies, ' You already HAVE the last piece of pie on your plate with your fork in it.'

Besides, it's the reporter who wrote 'adamant'...Here's the quote:

"You know that (Darin Mastroianni) can probably do it," Gardenhire said on 1500 ESPN's Talkin' Twins Show Monday night. "But as I told Terry, when all these things were going on -- Span and then Revere -- we talked about it, if he trades this guy, what are you going to do here? ... If he trades both of them, what are you going to do?"

The one thing I asked Terry, I just want to make sure that Aaron Hicks has the opportunity to come into spring training -- if we trade Span, and we end up trading Revere too, and this was (said) way before (those trades) -- I said I want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job."

He said, 'asked' 'The one thing I ASKED Terry....' followed by 'want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job'. Where's the demand?

In any event, the point is, Hicks has almost no chance to make the team out of ST for business reasons. Remember when we had a three way battle for CF with Span, Gomez and I forget the other guy's name? When Gomez was announced 'the winner' Span had outperformed him.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.

So you telling your wife "I am adamant that I have the last piece of pie" is somehow different than you telling your wife "I demand that I hae the last piece of pie."

Man, you must be hard to communicate with.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    So you telling your wife "I am adamant that I have the last piece of pie" is somehow different than you telling your wife "I demand that I hae the last piece of pie."

Man, you must be hard to communicate with.
    Yeah, sure I am.

Again, here's the actual quote where the supposed 'demand' took place:

"You know that (Darin Mastroianni) can probably do it," Gardenhire said on 1500 ESPN's Talkin' Twins Show Monday night. "But as I told Terry, when all these things were going on -- Span and then Revere -- we talked about it, if he trades this guy, what are you going to do here? ... If he trades both of them, what are you going to do?"

The one thing I asked Terry, I just want to make sure that Aaron Hicks has the opportunity to come into spring training -- if we trade Span, and we end up trading Revere too, and this was (said) way before (those trades) -- I said I want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job."

He said, 'asked' 'The one thing I ASKED Terry....' followed by 'want the opportunity to give him a shot at my centerfield job'.

Where's the demand? I don't believe in giving Gardy points for cojones with Ryan when he doesn't deserve them.

Meh. I disagree. I also "adamantly" disagree about the importance of this issue, which was really my point in the first place. I'd rather not argue semantics.

I'm now off to read about how the front office is incompetent in literally every other thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast