Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Would You Pay Marcum?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries

How Much Would You Pay Marcum?

Let's get this down before Marcum signs - what is your over/under number for a "good" contract for Shaun Marcum. Aaron and I wrestled a bit about this on the latest podcast. He's willing to give Marcum a 2-year deal, say for $15M. I'm not. In fact, I'd be more willing to offer him a 1/10 deal than a 2/15.

What is your number? It has to answer two questions:
    - above it, you say "no"
    - below it, you say "yes"

I'm going to go with 1 year/9M. I'm not willing to do a 2-year deal.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd definitely go 2/15 but I'm guessing he'll get more than that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do we know he's healthy? I realize he had the injury last year (elbow?) which he has to recover from, so I'm wondering about that. I don't have any knowledge of the situation honestly, but I'm genuinely puzzled that he hasn't signed yet and that there hasn't been much news of interest in him (at least in the places I look). It just makes me think he's holding out for way too much money, or there's a fairly severe health concern still lingering with him. All of which makes me think a 1 year deal is probably the better way to go. Give him $10 million, works for me (not my money).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I'd definitely go 2/15 but I'm guessing he'll get more than that.
    I think the Twins are in a position to legitimately overpay and take a risk to go 2/20 if that's what it takes (maybe with a team option?). Their salary obligations drop considerably over the next three years that this is a risk they can take. It's not something I'd say they should do with multiple players, but if there's ever an opportunity, it's now.

7.5 + 9.5 + third year option.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I think the Twins are in a position to legitimately overpay and take a risk to go 2/20 if that's what it takes (maybe with a team option?). Their salary obligations drop considerably over the next three years that this is a risk they can take. It's not something I'd say they should do with multiple players, but if there's ever an opportunity, it's now.
    I agree, we are currently a 70+ win team, with the addition of Marcum we turn into a 75+ win team. That still doesn't get us to .500 or even contention, but it least it gives us a better chance to win every 5th day. I think the key is to keep the contract at 2 years or less. I'd even go as high as 2/25million with an option for 2015, just in case he out preforms his contract.

Terry has money in his pocket, he needs to spend it to make this team better. It servces no purpose to stick it under the mattress for a rainy day.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    And his under 40% rate of groundballs doesnt worry you?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I agree, we are currently a 70+ win team, with the addition of Marcum we turn into a 75+ win team. That still doesn't get us to .500 or even contention, but it least it gives us a better chance to win every 5th day. I think the key is to keep the contract at 2 years or less. I'd even go as high as 2/25million with an option for 2015, just in case he out preforms his contract.

Terry has money in his pocket, he needs to spend it to make this team better. It servces no purpose to stick it under the mattress for a rainy day.
    Personally i would rather see the money go to the cuban kids, i worry about Marcum injury and his groundout rate....

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    And his under 40% rate of groundballs doesnt worry you?
    Not as much of a concern in Target Field and his HR/9 isn't bad. Though, I guess with our outfield fly balls could be a problem....

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Personally i would rather see the money go to the cuban kids, i worry about Marcum injury and his groundout rate....
    Fair concerns, but there's a cap on international money already and the money saved by his contract just goes into someone's pockets. Signing him won't affect that.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am more of the 10 mil 1 year. I would guess Marcum is around 3 years between $30 and $35 mil. too much of a risk for that

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    You've got to give him about 25/year to bring payroll up to ~100 million, of course.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Fair concerns, but there's a cap on international money already and the money saved by his contract just goes into someone's pockets. Signing him won't affect that.
    There is no international cap on the two Cuban players being referred to.

For all those who are complaining about the Twins not signing Marcum, let's remember that every other team in MLB has passed on him too, at least to this point. There has to be a reason. I'm guessing there is some serious concern about his health.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with JohnnyDakota - Overpay on the Cuban SS and let's sure up that infield for the rest of this decade. I'd rather pay for a solid SS and win 75 games than over pay for an often injured pitcher and win 80. Let's get younger and better at the same time.
    Could be a productive 2015 infield(especially offensively)
    Sano 3B
    Cuban SS
    Rosario 2B
    Mauer 1B

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are serious concerns about his health. He had some elbow injuries last year. I thought I'd explain why I would NOT give him a 2-year deal.

Going into June, Marcum looked like he was heading for a big pay day this offseason. He had posted two seasons of 200 inning ball with a 3.60 ERA. He had (if I remember right) another good start to this year. He and his agent had to be thinking that he was in line for a 3/33M deal - and that was before the salaries escalated. Instead, he had elbow problems, which reminds everyone that Marcum has elbow problems, and limped through the rest of the year.

If I'm him, and I'm confident that the elbow issue was temporary and I'm going to bounce back, I WANT a one-year deal. I want to have a 2013 season that is like my 2011 season and 2010 season and get back onto the market again where I'm going to make 3/40 or at least 2/25.

On the other hand, it I'm worried I really do need Tommy John soon, then I want a two-year deal.

So if he wants a 2-year deal, I'd stay away. To me, it's an indication that he himself doesn't have confidence that he's healthy. In fact, I'd argue that I'd rather give him a 3-year deal than a 2-year deal, just because if he is hurt, at least I have a chance to get some value out of the 3rd and 4th year that I don't get in a 2-year if he needs TJ.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems Marcum is heading for a 1 year deal because of the injury concerns. That being the case, I'd go as high as 1yr/10mil. When/if healthy, he'd easily be the staff's best pitcher on paper, and the type of upgrade Twins should have been trying to make from the start instead of a guy like Correia, who I don't feel improves anything when there already is Hendriks/Gibson/DeVries/Deduno/et. al around (he's not going to be any better than them AND is now paid considerably more).
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    2YR $17.5M with club option for $10M for 3rd yr.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts
    2 year 16-18 mil.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I'd go 2/20, but I don't think it will take that much.

Does someone with more knowledge of this care to help with the international signing cap? I don't understand how these Cuban guys wouldn't count, is it due to age?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'd go 2/20, but I don't think it will take that much.

Does someone with more knowledge of this care to help with the international signing cap? I don't understand how these Cuban guys wouldn't count, is it due to age?

I don't know the full details, but this year Cuban players are treated as Free Agents instead of International Signings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast