Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 117

Thread: Mackey: Twins Likely Done Making Significant Moves this Year

  1. #1

    Mackey: Twins Likely Done Making Significant Moves this Year

    An interesting quote by Terry Ryan.

    "'We've got to start being realistic . . . [a]nd realistic is, in September, (playing) meaningful games. You talk about winning the division -- well, we all want to do that. Postseason, we all want to do that.

    'But coming off the amount of losses that we've had. . . Playing major league baseball in September when the games don't mean a thing, that's no good for anybody. We need to get to that point before we can start worrying about much of anything else.'"

    Notebook: Twins Likely Done Making Significant Moves this Ooffseason

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    584
    Like
    25
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Ryan should be congratulated for cutting the payroll by 30 million dollars. It only took him a year to do so.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm sorry to say, the Twins are a joke. SAD!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    743
    Like
    28
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    There are plenty of players who are going to have to lower their cotract demands in the next month. i would hope the Twins do some bargain shopping as Kelly Johnson is still available and there are more relievers and Marcum is still available too.

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,103
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Sigh... I'm not terribly surprised to read this but it's still disappointing. If the Twins are in rebuilding mode, just blow it up and give it the proper treatment. Put Morneau and Willingham on the block and be done with it.

    I'm not against shying away from the FA market and slashing payroll with the clear message "we're building for 2015" but riding the fence is unacceptable. You either try to win or you blow up the roster. There's no point in trying to play both sides. It rarely (almost never) works.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,282
    Like
    82
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    Very nice, another looooong season.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Double-A scottz's Avatar
    Posts
    129
    Like
    28
    Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    On the positive side, when I want to take my son to a game, we'll just be able to go down to Target Field and find tickets for dirt cheap from somebody on a street corner.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,596
    Like
    63
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    I just don't understand why rebuilding requires this drastic of a payroll cut. If your concerned about signing vets that would take away playing time from young guys, they why bother signing guys like Correia? If the team admits signing Correia is a stop-gap move to keep the seat warm for the youngsters, then why not sign a better pitcher to a two year deal?

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Sigh... I'm not terribly surprised to read this but it's still disappointing. If the Twins are in rebuilding mode, just blow it up and give it the proper treatment. Put Morneau and Willingham on the block and be done with it.

    I'm not against shying away from the FA market and slashing payroll with the clear message "we're building for 2015" but riding the fence is unacceptable. You either try to win or you blow up the roster. There's no point in trying to play both sides. It rarely (almost never) works.
    Unless the point is to sell as many season ticket packages as you can...the bottom line...money.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,114
    Like
    137
    Liked 197 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    On the positive side, when I want to take my son to a game, we'll just be able to go down to Target Field and find tickets for dirt cheap from somebody on a street corner.
    I'm telling ya, man, this is underrated. Granted, I'd rather be winning, but given that I live less than a mile from the field, if it's a nice night, I can just spend a few bucks and go in person. Better than the TV, and I can't tell you how many times I've ended up several rows up from the field for a very minor outlay.

  11. #11
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,680
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    321
    "Unlike in the previous two offseasons, there will be no over-promising and under-delivering by the Minnesota Twins in 2013."

    All I could think of was the "pretty darn good pitcher" quote when I read this.

    In truth, I don't disagree with Ryan's quote in the original post, but that statement doesn't really jibe with his actions. He hasn't made the necessary improvements to put this club in position to be playing meaningful games in September, IMO.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    An interesting quote by Terry Ryan.

    "'We've got to start being realistic . . . [a]nd realistic is, in September, (playing) meaningful games. You talk about winning the division -- well, we all want to do that. Postseason, we all want to do that.

    'But coming off the amount of losses that we've had. . . Playing major league baseball in September when the games don't mean a thing, that's no good for anybody. We need to get to that point before we can start worrying about much of anything else.'"

    Notebook: Twins Likely Done Making Significant Moves this Ooffseason
    Right at the beginning it said, 'Unlike in the previous two offseasons, there will be no over-promising and under-delivering by the Minnesota Twins in 2013.'

    Ryan said he'd do everything he could to significantly improve the rotation during the season ticket holders conference, didn't he? Didn't he also tell us:

    A: He'd do whatever he could to improve the team this offseason.

    which would help him achieve plan B...

    B: That his plan was to build a team to compete in 2013,

    and that

    C: Money wouldn't be a problem while doing both A and B?

    Yet at the beginning of this article the writer says, 'Unlike in the previous two offseasons, there will be no over-promising and under-delivering by the Minnesota Twins in 2013.'

    I guess, technically, the writer is correct, the promises Ryan gave us were told in calender year 2012.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-09-2013 at 09:30 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,084
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Unless the point is to sell as many season ticket packages as you can...the bottom line...money.
    Not just season tickets, but walk-up tickets as well, especially early in the season before the team is out of it.

    Personally, if the Twins went all-out rebuild, I might be more inclined to go to games to "get to know 'em" again. I may be in the minority on that.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    576
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I for one am just glad that our rotation is now fortified.

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,586
    Like
    3,651
    Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Twins Likely Done Making Significant Moves this Year

    I think that's just about exactly what I posted when they signed Correia.

    What a sad situation. Not much hope, not much of a plan, and a primary goal of chopping payroll.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    576
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I hope those of you going to any of the Caravan stops have plenty of questions on hand! You can report back to us with answers given!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    794
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Think the payroll was chopped because their was no way to build a club without spending major bucks or trading the farm system. 1 or 2 year deals for pitchers with the expectation of young pitchers coming up is the better way to go.
    I don't like this way, and do wish the Twins had been more honest about the direction. The only thing I can now see is the Willingham and Morneau have very good seasons and are traded at the deadline for more upper level prospects.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,084
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Think the payroll was chopped because their was no way to build a club without spending major bucks or trading the farm system. 1 or 2 year deals for pitchers with the expectation of young pitchers coming up is the better way to go.
    I don't like this way, and do wish the Twins had been more honest about the direction. The only thing I can now see is the Willingham and Morneau have very good seasons and are traded at the deadline for more upper level prospects.
    On Morneau, I get the idea of holding on to him until the deadline because his trade value has been low.

    On Willingham, I think the time to trade him is now. His track record doesn't indicate he'll be as good as he was in 2012 in 2013. His value is higher now than it's ever been.

  19. #19
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Sigh... I'm not terribly surprised to read this but it's still disappointing. If the Twins are in rebuilding mode, just blow it up and give it the proper treatment. Put Morneau and Willingham on the block and be done with it.

    I'm not against shying away from the FA market and slashing payroll with the clear message "we're building for 2015" but riding the fence is unacceptable. You either try to win or you blow up the roster. There's no point in trying to play both sides. It rarely (almost never) works.
    only thing straddling the fense does is give you a case of blue balls...trying to sell 3million tickets while playing both sides will not work,
    if ownership or management came out and said we are rebuilding here is a 10% ticket reduction .and we are trading everyone including joe , see you in 2/3 years i would be happier then being lied too

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,596
    Like
    63
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    From the Makey initerview:

    "I think we've fortified the pitching staff," Ryan said. "You look at this team and I think we scored enough runs. We have enough defense, even with the loss of Revere and Span. So we're getting somewhat close to the point where we're ready to go and sort this out a little bit (at spring training)."

    Perhaps it was a typo? Did Makey mean to type "forfeited the pitching staff."

    Also, in what possible way does Ryan think the Twins have enough defense. This is likely a bottom five defense which doesn't go well with the intentionally constructed extreme pitch-to-contact staff.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.