Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is 2 for 4 a bad thing?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *headdesk*

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Toronto DFA Tommy Hottovy a few minutes ago , even though he is older he did have a good ERA and 11Ks/9 and under 3W/9
    wouldnt he be a cheap pickup to give Robertson some competition in spring training?

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Lara did not even pitch that well in high A ball at age 23. Tampa thought so highly of him they left him unprotected. Although Diamond was a rule 5 pickup it took a trade for a then decent prospect to keep him. Two of your other players still have not pitched at a major league level. Yes it costs little to take a flyer on a player. Shouldn't you have a thorough scouting report so you would not need a flyer? The Twins would have had plenty of views of Lara as they played in many of the same minor leagues?
    diamond was taken in the rule 5 draft also , which means he was left unprotected....when the twins wanted to send him down , it took a trade to keep him, also Lara was a starter , and in winter ball has been doing very good in relief....you know kinda like Perkins did

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Did you really think about that before you typed it or do you just like to irrationally spout off? I cannot even imagine the complaining that you would do if the Twins traded their entire team away like the Marlins. Especially since the Marlins did it solely to cut payroll and didn't receive the best prospects back.

Loria wasn't responsible for the Marlins WS wins and overall this is a really weak argument. No team regardless of how 'all in' they go have a better than 25% chance at winning the WS in a postseason. The Marlins got lucky.
    why yes i did , then i did the math , then i typed it ....as for the Marlins part, well i think if we are rebuilding we should have traded joe and justin with a couple of other players to texas for olt and profar.....because as long as we straddle the fense we will end up with only BLUEBALLS

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    How so many people can continue to defend or carry praise for Terry Ryan bewilders me, he has failed to safe guard our assets or to improve the team, the only thing he has managed to do is eliminate payroll .
    He'll have the last laugh, you'll see. I <3 TR

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    He'll have the last laugh, you'll see. I <3 TR
    He already is laughing as he takes his check to the bank, when the 2013 season is over we will probally see our payroll was closer to 70 million , then 80 million , so that means 40 million will have been eliminated from payroll, and the twins will continue to lose...
    What happened to the promises that were made when they begged for money for a new stadium?
    If justin is traded and we pay only 7 million of his salary then our payroll is less then 73 million ,about what it was in the dome days.
    It is very posible we open 2014 with a payroll of less then 60 million....

So yes Terry is having the last laugh, as St. Pete orders more brinks trucks ....

Call me foolish but I trust TR

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    He already is laughing as he takes his check to the bank, when the 2013 season is over we will probally see our payroll was closer to 70 million , then 80 million , so that means 40 million will have been eliminated from payroll, and the twins will continue to lose...
    What happened to the promises that were made when they begged for money for a new stadium?
    If justin is traded and we pay only 7 million of his salary then our payroll is less then 73 million ,about what it was in the dome days.
    It is very posible we open 2014 with a payroll of less then 60 million....

So yes Terry is having the last laugh, as St. Pete orders more brinks trucks ....

2012 Minnesota Twins American League 66 96 .407 22.0 2,776,354
    2011 Minnesota Twins American League 63 99 .389 32.0 5 3,168,107
    2010 Minnesota Twins American League 94 68 .580 - 1 3,223,640
    2009 Minnesota Twins American League 87 76 .534 - 1 2,416,237
    2008 Minnesota Twins American League 88 75 .540 1.0 2 2,302,431
    2007 Minnesota Twins American League 79 83 .488 17.0 3 2,296,347
    2006 Minnesota Twins American League 96 66 .593 - 1 2,285,018
    2005 Minnesota Twins American League 83 79 .512 16.0 3 2,034,243
    2004 Minnesota Twins American League 92 70 .568 - 1 1,911,490
    2003 Minnesota Twins American League 90 72 .556 - 1 1,946,011
    2002 Minnesota Twins American League 94 67 .584 - 1 1,924,473
    2001 Minnesota Twins American League 85 77 .525 6.0 2 1,782,926

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddyz View Post
    3) Denard Span was NEVER a stellar outfielder. He's a decent, slightly above average centerfielder with a mediocre arm, that couldn't go BACK on a ball to save his life.
    Look out! ThePuck is bound to have all kinds of fervor about this one.............

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Look out! ThePuck is bound to have all kinds of fervor about this one.............
    Sorry..... I posted as a read from the beginning not noticing that the thread had gone postal. No delete, so I apologize here. It was preditable, though, eh ThePuck? ;-)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Sorry..... I posted as a read from the beginning not noticing that the thread had gone postal. No delete, so I apologize here. It was preditable, though, eh ThePuck? ;-)
    Indeed :-)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 342 Times in 227 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    let's summarize this thread. The Twins FO failed because they didn't get a pair of hard throwing RP'ers that have been terrible in A ball, their original teams didn't believe in them and EVERY TEAM in the majors passed on them. You're making an awesome argument so far.

I'm still waiting for you to say why you think Pressly was a bad pick. As of right now you're just some random guy on the internet that is spouting off with very little substance. The Twins might make some questionable choices but they have done well in the past with Rule 5, NRI's and DFA's.

You've only shown that you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you really want the Twins to be more like the Marlins? Do you know why the Marlins are loading their team up with Rule 5 players? It's because they traded their entire team away and are likely to start with a <20M payroll (if they trade Nolasco). They NEED a bunch of castoffs just to field a team and they are terrible aside from Stanton.
    "Random spouting guy" right back at ya, I think your prose has sprung a couple leaks on the port side. Your constant personal bombardment added richly to the conversaton. I believe I've demonstrated with facts and figures that I have some idea of what I'm talking about. Regarding Pressly, I never criticized the pick, ever. The Twins got the "best pitcher available" in their draft position. They played it safe with the pick. Pressly had recently demonstrated that he was destined for permanent relief duty. I woud say there's a slight-to-decent chance that he can eventually take Swarzack's job, at 3 years his younger and about half the mileage on the tires and potentially provide a small upgrade over Swarzack (although, Swarzack actually had very slightly better minor league numbers).

Meanwhile, Kyle Lobtein (age 23) was a year younger than Pressly, has played to the same level as Pressly (AA), has better minor league numbers than both Pressly and Swarzack to the same point in their respective careers, and has yet to fail as a Starter. He was brought up through an organization (Rays) that has a reputation for developing pitchers; unsurprisingly, he apparently was blocked by even better prospects.
    He actually demonstrated in the draft that there was more than passing interest in him, the Mets drafted him and immediately flipped him for cash to the Tigers. Trusting that the Twins had a decent look at him, they felt he was a little riskier than Pressly and passed (A comp might be DeVries, who remains in SP Twins pitching depth, Lobstein is 4.5 years youngers with better minor league stats to the same point in development). The stats suggest that, given the Twins desperate need for starters, it might have been worth the exta risk.

The main argument was about passing on Lara in the 2nd round. Virtually nothing was at risk in kicking the tires on a very rare skill set. Head-scratching that anyone would criticize such a move for a team currently grasping at any possible color of straw to fill their woeful pitching needs (Read Phil Mackie's best-case Twins scenario for simply an attempt at pitching mediocrity: 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers))

Regarding the Marlins, you really demonstrated your lack of appreciation for irony---- but sincere grasp of the obvious.

70charger liked this. Of course he did...
    Last edited by jokin; 01-14-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The problem that is becoming increasingly obvious is that you know nothing about the players that you are talking about. You are so completely infatuated with Lara's 100 mph fastball that you don't even notice that he completely sucked AND CAN'T EVEN K A BALL HITTERS. there's a reason why EVERY MLB TEAM passed on him AT LEAST ONCE. There are plenty of things to criticize the Twins about but rule 5 picks are not it. I'll certainly take the Twins analysis over the some random guy on the internet that has never seen any of the talked about players EVER play.

Here's an example of your analysis that is questionable and show that you don't know what you are talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by jokin
    Lobstein and Lara seem like no-brainers at such a low cost of kicking the tires, as did Kehrer in the AAA draft. Lobstein had a very strong year at AA and is only 23 (unlike soft-tossing Pressly who bombed out as a starter at that level and is now projected as a reliever).
    Pressly is not a soft tosser and the Tigers didn't take Lobstein as a starter. He would have been an interesting pick but he's been relatively unimpressive and has unimpressive stuff.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the Marlins. If you're saying that you like the direction of that franchise then WOW! Things are much worse in Miami. I would not trade places with a Marlins fan at all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234