Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Scott Diamond looks to avoid sophomore slump

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Scott Diamond looks to avoid sophomore slump

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Well here's hoping; but he better find a way to lower that contact rate or my money is on one-hit-wonder.

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of fans are banking on Diamond. Personally, I think it is a fools bet at this time, but who else has the Front Office given anyone to bank on? Some pretty high odds at this time.

I think Diamond is going to be a pitcher much like Brad Radke and have a similar career. I'm predicting a year of 200+ innings and sub 3.90 ERA. Don't agree with the doubters and pouters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    I think Diamond is going to be a pitcher much like Brad Radke and have a similar career. I'm predicting a year of 200+ innings and sub 3.90 ERA. Don't agree with the doubters and pouters.
    Sounds more like Morris than Radke. Radke only had 3 seasons sub 3.90, whereas Morris' career ERA was 3.90

BTW, the doubters have a lot of info to base their opinion on, what do you have?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,237 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Sounds more like Morris than Radke. Radke only had 3 seasons sub 3.90, whereas Morris' career ERA was 3.90
    It sounds more like you completely ignored the context of the eras they pitched in when making this post.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    It sounds more like you completely ignored the context of the eras they pitched in when making this post.
    Well, Radke had a better ERA+ than Morris even though his actual ERA was bigger.

Darvish posted an ERA of 3.90 this year which gave him an ERA+ of 116...which is is closer to Radke than Morris. Good call. I stand corrected.

I guess the overall point is, why are the doubters wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

BTW, the doubters have a lot of info to base their opinion on, what do you have?
    I know that about Radke, I did not say that is what I think an average Scott Diamond season will be when his career is over, but it is what I predict for him next season.

I would say my predictions are based more on gut feeling and emotional whim than they are on numbers and information. Generally, I think a prediction is only worth making if goes against what others might expect.

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post

I would say my predictions are based more on gut feeling and emotional whim than they are on numbers and information. Generally, I think a prediction is only worth making if goes against what others might expect.
    I predict this model of making predictions will serve you well, in all areas of interest, throughout your life.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,503 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I predict this model of making predictions will serve you well, in all areas of interest, throughout your life.
    And when that fails, tea leaves are always a solid fallback option.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    I'm a fan of Diamond's but I doubt we see more than the pitcher we saw in Aug/Sept. I think the doubter's are the ones who will end up supporting Diamond for just what he is, I get the feeling people with overflated expectations are going to come down hardest on him when their balloon gets burst.

Yes he was our best pitcher last year, think about what that actually means for a minute.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yes he was our best pitcher last year, think about what that actually means for a minute.
    Wonderful point. I am usually very optimistic with prospects that produce. But the problem with Diamond is that I have seen his "stuff" on TV, alot. And I am afraid we may see his stats go back to where they were in AAA in 2010 and 2011.

He has very little movement on a 89-91mph fastball. His curve-in-the-dirt is his best pitch, and his change-up is straight-as-an-arrow but slow enough. I just can't see him having an ERA under 4.00 with what he has in his arsenal. The second half of last year will continue, I'm afraid.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I'm a fan of Diamond's but I doubt we see more than the pitcher we saw in Aug/Sept. I think the doubter's are the ones who will end up supporting Diamond for just what he is, I get the feeling people with overflated expectations are going to come down hardest on him when their balloon gets burst.
    Fantastic point. This is exactly what happened with Dozier last year, I think even from the Twins perspective. They over-estimated both his readiness and talent and then punished him for it.

As for the Radke/Diamond Comparison, Radke had some very good years, but early in his career, he struck out almost six batters p/game (except for when he was 22 in his rookie season).