Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Article: Scott Diamond looks to avoid sophomore slump

  1. #1
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    574
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    427

    Article: Scott Diamond looks to avoid sophomore slump


  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,531
    Like
    60
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Well here's hoping; but he better find a way to lower that contact rate or my money is on one-hit-wonder.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    351
    Like
    65
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    A lot of fans are banking on Diamond. Personally, I think it is a fools bet at this time, but who else has the Front Office given anyone to bank on? Some pretty high odds at this time.

  4. #4
    I think Diamond is going to be a pitcher much like Brad Radke and have a similar career. I'm predicting a year of 200+ innings and sub 3.90 ERA. Don't agree with the doubters and pouters.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    I think Diamond is going to be a pitcher much like Brad Radke and have a similar career. I'm predicting a year of 200+ innings and sub 3.90 ERA. Don't agree with the doubters and pouters.
    Sounds more like Morris than Radke. Radke only had 3 seasons sub 3.90, whereas Morris' career ERA was 3.90

    BTW, the doubters have a lot of info to base their opinion on, what do you have?

  6. #6
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,039
    Like
    1,763
    Liked 1,237 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Sounds more like Morris than Radke. Radke only had 3 seasons sub 3.90, whereas Morris' career ERA was 3.90
    It sounds more like you completely ignored the context of the eras they pitched in when making this post.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    It sounds more like you completely ignored the context of the eras they pitched in when making this post.
    Well, Radke had a better ERA+ than Morris even though his actual ERA was bigger.

    Darvish posted an ERA of 3.90 this year which gave him an ERA+ of 116...which is is closer to Radke than Morris. Good call. I stand corrected.

    I guess the overall point is, why are the doubters wrong?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Sounds more like Morris than Radke. Radke only had 3 seasons sub 3.90, whereas Morris' career ERA was 3.90

    BTW, the doubters have a lot of info to base their opinion on, what do you have?
    I know that about Radke, I did not say that is what I think an average Scott Diamond season will be when his career is over, but it is what I predict for him next season.

    I would say my predictions are based more on gut feeling and emotional whim than they are on numbers and information. Generally, I think a prediction is only worth making if goes against what others might expect.

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,495
    Like
    3,509
    Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post

    I would say my predictions are based more on gut feeling and emotional whim than they are on numbers and information. Generally, I think a prediction is only worth making if goes against what others might expect.
    I predict this model of making predictions will serve you well, in all areas of interest, throughout your life.

  10. #10
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,989
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,503 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I predict this model of making predictions will serve you well, in all areas of interest, throughout your life.
    And when that fails, tea leaves are always a solid fallback option.

  11. #11
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    844
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    I'm a fan of Diamond's but I doubt we see more than the pitcher we saw in Aug/Sept. I think the doubter's are the ones who will end up supporting Diamond for just what he is, I get the feeling people with overflated expectations are going to come down hardest on him when their balloon gets burst.

    Yes he was our best pitcher last year, think about what that actually means for a minute.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yes he was our best pitcher last year, think about what that actually means for a minute.
    Wonderful point. I am usually very optimistic with prospects that produce. But the problem with Diamond is that I have seen his "stuff" on TV, alot. And I am afraid we may see his stats go back to where they were in AAA in 2010 and 2011.

    He has very little movement on a 89-91mph fastball. His curve-in-the-dirt is his best pitch, and his change-up is straight-as-an-arrow but slow enough. I just can't see him having an ERA under 4.00 with what he has in his arsenal. The second half of last year will continue, I'm afraid.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I'm a fan of Diamond's but I doubt we see more than the pitcher we saw in Aug/Sept. I think the doubter's are the ones who will end up supporting Diamond for just what he is, I get the feeling people with overflated expectations are going to come down hardest on him when their balloon gets burst.
    Fantastic point. This is exactly what happened with Dozier last year, I think even from the Twins perspective. They over-estimated both his readiness and talent and then punished him for it.



    As for the Radke/Diamond Comparison, Radke had some very good years, but early in his career, he struck out almost six batters p/game (except for when he was 22 in his rookie season).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.