Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Frasor

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Jason Frasor

I guess $1.5M for Jason Frasor was too much for the Twins. Must be nice to be the Rangers who can just a RP like it's no big thing. Lucky for the Twins we have Duensing, Swarzak, and Burnett. Case closed bullpen is solid.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He strikes out too many people.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Evidently, 1.5 million was too expensive for everyone else too. These kind of threads are just vapid; do we really need to complain every time another team signs a player that the Twins might be able to use.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Evidently, 1.5 million was too expensive for everyone else too. These kind of threads are just vapid; do we really need to complain every time another team signs a player that the Twins might be able to use.
    Yes.

Do you really want to defend the status quo of the proven mediocrities, or worse, that the Twins constantly recycle?

The Twins should be actively seeking every possible avenue for improvement with "major league arms" or at least possibly better than what is represented on the Twins current depth chart- face it, this is a pretty bare roster going into 2013, especially in the pitching department, and the Twins have made little effort to take advantage of their downtrodden situation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    He hasn't been overly effective the last sesason and a half, I don't think that contract is as much of a bargain as it would have been in 2010. Still if you're of mind that Correia and/or Pelfry will end up in the pen, he would have been a much smarter move.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yes.

Do you really want to defend the status quo of the proven mediocrities, or worse, that the Twins constantly recycle?

The Twins should be actively seeking every possible avenue for improvement with "major league arms" or at least possibly better than what is represented on the Twins current depth chart- face it, this is a pretty bare roster going into 2013, especially in the pitching department, and the Twins have made little effort to take advantage of their downtrodden situation.
    Seriously? We really need to complain about every free agent that signs somewhere else? Seriously?

So either the Twins will sign nearly every free agent out there, or we will be complaining a lot. Given the general tone around here lately, I'll put my money on the latter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Complaining about complainers...

I think Frasor would have been an excellent signing for the Twins. This is obviously a case where a team like the Twins would have to offer more money but he would be a good deal even at 2/4. You see a lot of very avg RP'ers getting 5+M (hello Capps) but being able to get a good 7th/8th inning guy for 2M (or less) is a pretty good deal and there isn't a lot of depth in the bullpen particularly if the Twins can make a nice deadline deal for Perkins or Burton.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
    If you're not going to spend your money in big splashes, then why aren't they grabbing bullpen arms? It's not like there is a surplus of riches in the pen either. Plus they tend to make excellent trade bait if successful.

We don't have to complain if we are happy competing with the Astros and the other cellar dwelling MLB teams.

Just wait when next seasons payroll is close to $55M or so without Morneau and Willingham after he is dealt.

I hate to say this but Hostess may have closed its doors because they felt insulted when people referred to our Minnesota Twins as the Twinkies. Oops did I just type that and press send? Oh well...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    We don't have to complain if we are happy competing with the Astros and the other cellar dwelling MLB teams.

Just wait when next seasons payroll is close to $55M or so without Morneau and Willingham after he is dealt.

I hate to say this but Hostess may have closed its doors because they felt insulted when people referred to our Minnesota Twins as the Twinkies. Oops did I just type that and press send? Oh well...
    Oh snap! When Terry Ryan does his daily comb through these forums and reads that barb, he'll probably fall out of his chair.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Seriously? We really need to complain about every free agent that signs somewhere else? Seriously?

So either the Twins will sign nearly every free agent out there, or we will be complaining a lot. Given the general tone around here lately, I'll put my money on the latter.
    Another defender of the year-after-year mediocrity that is Burnett, Swarzak, Capps, Walters, Gray.....et al, is heard from. Obviously, you are taking the extreme position, but there was money to inexpensively upgrade; solid relief pitchers are always available cheaply on one-year deals and the Twins BP would get a huge shot in the arm from the agressive signing/claiming of the Jason Frasor's of the world- plus, If Frasor matches his nearly 11 K/9 record of 2012 with a decent FIP, he is a marketable commodity to flip.

The team has lost 99 and 96 games in two straight seasons- the defense was significantly gutted for 2013 and a new-and-disimproved, "revamped" pitching staff- the majority of whom qualified as mediocrities, has-beens, never-weres, raw rookies and rehabbing crap shoots. When is the time to complain, if not now?

I had to chuckle at a couple of the TD writers who were fretting during the season about exposing certain players who were potentially threatened off the 40-man roster to waiver claims. In virtually every single case, no one wanted them. There is a reason why mediocrity reigns in Twinsland and even those that closely follow this mess are inured to that reality.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-03-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Yes.

That's way too much feigned outrage on not signing Jason Frasor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Oh snap! When Terry Ryan does his daily comb through these forums and reads that barb, he'll probably fall out of his chair.
    I'm glad I made your day with my comment.
    twinkie-the-kid-e1329370891283.jpg

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    May and Meyer (and Worley) fly in the face of such inane rhetoric. We've also signed Harden and Pelfry in exactly these kind of moves (that naysayers for years cry "why don't we take a chance on on somebody like Rich Harden! " Well, we just did). So what, the Twins didn't like Frasor; maybe they even had good reason.

My sense is that the Twins are looking for cheap ML innings to basically tread water until the next core group emerges in the majors. I think it's perfectly legitimate to bemoan that the Twins could do more to compete in 2013, but signing Frasor or Guthrie or Blanton or McCarthy or Feldman probably doesn't really make the Twins much more competitive (if at all) than the signings they've made. So it's hard for me to blame the Twins for not spending the money (even if it isnt mine, and they are under budget).
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 01-03-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    It's threads like this that make this entire forum a disaster to read in the off-season.

The Twins have plenty of bullpen options for next year, including wonder boy Slama as well as guys like Harden who could slot in quite nicely into the bullpen. I would have liked a Frasor signing, but it's not worth blasting the org over, Jesus Christ.

I still kinda hope we can resign Capps to a one year/1 mil deal personally, he is frustrating, but I think he could be a nice 6th/7th inning guy next year for us.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
    My sense is that the Twins are looking for cheap ML innings to basically tread water until the next core group emerges in the majors. I think it's perfectly legitimate to bemoan that the Twins could do more to compete in 2013, but signing Frasor or Guthrie or Blanton or McCarthy or Feldman probably doesn't really make the Twins much more competitive (if at all) than the signings they've made. So it's hard for me to blame the Twins for not spending the money (even if it isnt mine, and they are under budget).
    You seem to be intentionally avoiding a very simple notion. It's always better to have more talent. No one is arguing these players magically make them a world series contender, but when you are between 20-30% under budget, some flyers aren't a bad idea. Even if they only marginally improve your team immediately, they represent possible trade value if handled properly and things go well. If the chips are truly in the hands of the next wave, why not add placeholders that also can be moved for further assistance for that next wave?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You seem to be intentionally avoiding a very simple notion. It's always better to have more talent. No one is arguing these players magically make them a world series contender, but when you are between 20-30% under budget, some flyers aren't a bad idea. Even if they only marginally improve your team immediately, they represent possible trade value if handled properly and things go well. If the chips are truly in the hands of the next wave, why not add placeholders that also can be moved for further assistance for that next wave?
    While it would be nice to have someone who strikes out a batter once an inning or more, it is a disaster waiting to happen when he gives up on average 3 hits or walks every two innings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    He strikes out too many people.
    I was gonna say the same thing yesterday, but I thought I'd let that one go...but since you said it, you get a like :-)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Teams that strike more guys out don't give up fewer runs than low strikeout teams anyway, right?

Right???
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Bring Back Jon Rauch!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast