Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Projecting the Twins 2013 Record... with rosy projections

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,794
    Like
    26
    Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Nice thread, jay. I like the idea of trying to tangibly envision a best-case scenario and what this team could do if everything breaks right. Unfortunately, some of the assumptions required to meet these parameters are dauntingly huge stretches, especially on the pitching side. I really feel like adding even one legitimate, quality starter to the mix would greatly increase their chances of staying afloat.
    I think that it is close. And again, (great post btw.) we are talking about a best-case scenario. A scenario where all the pitchers the Twins have signed are healthy and effective. In that case, Diamond will be number 4 and the rotation would look like this:

    Harden
    Pelfrey
    Worley
    Diamond
    Correia

    If I think of these guys at their best (remember, best case scenario,) this is not that bad of a rotation. And Gibson and Hendriks and Meyer and May on the wings.

    The problem I have is one that will be even worse, if the Twins add another arm without subtracting someone because the above 4 are already blocked... and I am not even mentioning Blackburn.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  2. #22
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,622
    Like
    834
    Liked 606 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Great question. It wasn't a 'by the pitcher' breakdown that I used, but rather a look at the whole group. Here's the math I used to arrive at 100 runs for the rotation:

    The 2012 starters allowed 528 ER in 880 IP.
    (Minnesota Twins Team Stats » 2012 » Starters » Standard Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball)
    If we think they can be league-average in 2013, the ERA for the group will be around 4.10.

    I assumed the improved performance would lead to longer starts, for 940 IP. The 4.10 ERA at that many IP is 428 runs.

    So, 528-428... 100 fewer runs allowed.
    I know I'm nitpicking here, but the league average ERA for starters last year was roughly 4.40. Relievers were at 3.55, the combined figure was 4.10.

    That would be 458 runs in those 940 innings for the starters.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,074
    Like
    97
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I think, if you're looking for positives, you should look to things that speak to the long-term. Like getting to see Aaron Hicks, a full season of Parmalee, Kyle Gibson, Worley, etc. Any hope for vast improvements on this team overlooks the fact that things didn't go catastrophically wrong last year. They just weren't very good and haven't improved much (if at all) this offseason.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    847
    Like
    9
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I know I'm nitpicking here, but the league average ERA for starters last year was roughly 4.40. Relievers were at 3.55, the combined figure was 4.10.
    I realize I'm nitpicking back, but it made me check again. I come up with 28617 1/3 IP for the SPs and 13335 ER in 2012 for an ERA of 4.19. Where's the 4.40 figure coming from?

    Major League Team Stats » 2012 » Starters » Standard Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

  5. #25
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    159
    Like
    4
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I realize I'm nitpicking back, but it made me check again. I come up with 28617 1/3 IP for the SPs and 13335 ER in 2012 for an ERA of 4.19. Where's the 4.40 figure coming from?

    Major League Team Stats » 2012 » Starters » Standard Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball
    MLB average is 4.19 -> 13335 ER in 28617.2 Inn
    AL-only average is 4.37 -> 6474 ER in 13342.1 Inn
    NL-only average is 4.04 -> 6861 ER in 15275.1 Inn

  6. #26
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,622
    Like
    834
    Liked 606 Times in 232 Posts
    From baseball reference, the actual figure was 4.37.

    American League 2012 Pitching Splits - Baseball-Reference.com


    Edit: I see, you're looking at ML as a whole.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  7. #27
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    847
    Like
    9
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ah, I see.

    I suppose AL average would probably be the more realistic goal. That's just GREAT... now come up with 30 more runs some where.

  8. #28
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,622
    Like
    834
    Liked 606 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    ... now come up with 30 more runs some where.
    A Shaun Marcum signing could help out in that regard.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  9. #29
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,924
    Like
    469
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    They won't lose as many games as last year, view that any way you choose.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,040
    Like
    1,175
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Last year... The Starting Pitching was bad... The effect that had on the 2012 team was obvious to all... We kept putting an ineffective Blackburn and Marquis and Liriano out there because we had nobody else to throw.

    In 2013... I have no expectation for Kershaw type performance from anyone... but... we do have options this year... Not Kershaw type options but options none the less. If Ryan/Gardenhire use those options... Average pitching is absolutely possible and with just average pitching... The team can improve their win loss totals by quite a bit.

    The key will be... If Correia fails like most here seem to think he will... The Twins won't keep trotting him out there and instead turn to Gibson, Hendriks... Deduno or whoever to see if they can at least provide average pitching.

    If Correia or Pelfrey have 6 plus ERA's in June and are still in the rotations... Our pitching depth will mean nothing and it will be a long year. If our starters can average around 4.40... We could be OK.

    I'm still hoping for a Marcum signing... I will be dispointed if we don't and I am preparing for that highly possible disapointment.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    556
    Like
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Last year... The Starting Pitching was bad... The effect that had on the 2012 team was obvious to all... We kept putting an ineffective Blackburn and Marquis and Liriano out there because we had nobody else to throw.

    In 2013... I have no expectation for Kershaw type performance from anyone... but... we do have options this year... Not Kershaw type options but options none the less. If Ryan/Gardenhire use those options... Average pitching is absolutely possible and with just average pitching... The team can improve their win loss totals by quite a bit.

    The key will be... If Correia fails like most here seem to think he will... The Twins won't keep trotting him out there and instead turn to Gibson, Hendriks... Deduno or whoever to see if they can at least provide average pitching.

    If Correia or Pelfrey have 6 plus ERA's in June and are still in the rotations... Our pitching depth will mean nothing and it will be a long year. If our starters can average around 4.40... We could be OK.

    I'm still hoping for a Marcum signing... I will be dispointed if we don't and I am preparing for that highly possible disapointment.
    Man, you use a lot of ...

  12. #32
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,040
    Like
    1,175
    Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Man, you use a lot of ...
    lol... yeah... I know... You'd think I'd learn to use actual comma's and actual punctuation... I really can't say why I do it... Other than... I've always done it... My bosses always know which reports are from me... If I fail to ID them.

    I guess I should have paid more attention in English class growing up...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.