Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Is Terry Ryan Leaving Gardenhire Hung Out to Dry?

Article: Is Terry Ryan Leaving Gardenhire Hung Out to Dry?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great write-up.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Outside of Kevin Correia, I think TR had a good offseason. However, I believe we are going to lose 90-plus games again and possibly hit the 100 loss barrier. Gardenhire is being left out to dry if he has to turn around this team in 2013.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How many win do the twins he to get for Gardy to get resigned? I would resign him if the twins get 75 wins. But I think TR will go a different way unless he twins are .500.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    I don't think T.R. is setting up Gardy to fail, in fact I think that notion is ridiculous considering Ryan's principles. Having said that I don't think Gardy is in the plans beyond this year with the focus of the team clearly being the future. What I will find interesting is how Ryan may deal with that if somehow Gardy manages to get this team around .500. A record in and around there would have to be considered a pretty big success and the exit strategy conceivably altered.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Question is did Gardenhire insist on Rick Anderson being retained and therefore linked the two fates together. I see little chance of the Twins doing well enough to save his job. Look at this list.
    1. Hicks or Benson turn into at least serviceable players, so the centerfield hole is filled with Span type numbers.
    2. Plouffe turns into be a decent playballer and hits .270 with 25 - 30 homeruns
    3. Parmalee proves he can hit major league pitching and hits 30 doubles, 15 homeruns and a .280 BA
    4. Mauer and Morneau both have good years and stay off the DL.
    5. Twins find that Dozier, Carroll, Floriman are decent defenders all all hit in the .260 - .270 range.
    6. Twins starting pitchers ERA is a little over 4, as Rich Harden returns to form and Worley, Diamond, and Gibson are all solid. One of Pelfrey or Correria becomes the #5 starter and the other takes Swarzak's spot.
    7. Bullpen is solid as Perkins. Burton, Fien and Duesing all do good jobs out of the pen.

This is way to much to expect to get to .500 or slightly over, but it would be great if it happened.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Question is did Gardenhire insist on Rick Anderson being retained and therefore linked the two fates together. I see little chance of the Twins doing well enough to save his job. Look at this list.
    1. Hicks or Benson turn into at least serviceable players, so the centerfield hole is filled with Span type numbers.
    2. Plouffe turns into be a decent playballer and hits .270 with 25 - 30 homeruns
    3. Parmalee proves he can hit major league pitching and hits 30 doubles, 15 homeruns and a .280 BA
    5. Twins find that Dozier, Carroll, Floriman are decent defenders all all hit in the .260 - .270 range.
    6. Twins starting pitchers ERA is a little over 4, as Rich Harden returns to form and Worley, Diamond, and Gibson are all solid. One of Pelfrey or Correria becomes the #5 starter and the other takes Swarzak's spot.
    7. Bullpen is solid as Perkins. Burton, Fien and Duesing all do good jobs out of the pen.

This is way to much to expect to get to .500 or slightly over, but it would be great if it happened.
    If all of these things happen, the Twins would probably be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    How many win do the twins he to get for Gardy to get resigned? I would resign him if the twins get 75 wins. But I think TR will go a different way unless he twins are .500.
    Unless they win the world series , it is 5 years since Ron needed to find a new job....and needs to take Terry with him

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Unless they win the world series , it is 5 years since Ron needed to find a new job....and needs to take Terry with him
    To 364 more days of head scratching posts!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I think the decision on Garden hire is at least 99% made--but it could be either! Extending him after last year would have caused an uproar--but Ryan could have fired him too, but didn't. Thus, this could go either way--he's gone unless a miracle happens, or he stays if even a bit of progress was shown--it's just not clear.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Gardy has at least some control,but where does it leave the Twins fans? TR has put the Twins fans out to dry with his promises. It's just to bad that clev, and KC can improve but we can't., if the present looks bad, what does that say about the future?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Indians "have had dialogue" with Shaun Marcum.

Morosi says "it's not clear yet" whether Cleveland's signing of Brett Myers will affect a potential pursuit of Marcum. The Indians have room in their rotation for another addition, but it remains to be seen if they have enough cash to make it happen. Marcum has also drawn interest from the Royals, Twins and Padres.

If all of those things happened, the Twins would be way better than .500. They'd take second in the conference.
    Despite people's aversion to Correia, he's a better pitcher than you think. Their starting pitching will be way better than last year. * *I expect Parmelee to do about the same as last year Ė not encouraging. He'll be down in AAA with Hicks or Arcia or both in the majors. Harden, Pelfrey and Gibson are the biggest question marks.*

If the Twins can gel together and start out strong, they could have a very good season. I believe they will be better than last year. If BeckMT's list of things happen, they're an 88-win team. If not, they're an 80-win team. If the wheels fall off the bus completely Ė which I don't expect given the players they have signed Ė they're a 75-win team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Gardenhire will be retained or let go by how well he gets the team to play. Coaches were brought in to help with the need to help the pitchers, hitting and catching. If the players that need to show improvement improve, Gardenhire will be kept. If not, he will be gone.

I think Gardy should be given his walking papers. Not because he's a bad manager, I just think it's time for new blood throughout the organization, including the people above Gardenhire in the front office. I just think that if Gardenhire is held accountable for Ryan's complete lack of effort and is ultimately let go, it's just going to make Ryan and the Pohlads look bad, worse than they do already.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Gardenhire will be retained or let go by how well he gets the team to play. Coaches were brought in to help with the need to help the pitchers, hitting and catching. If the players that need to show improvement improve, Gardenhire will be kept. If not, he will be gone.
    I agree, if the team plays hard all season, he'll stay - if he wants too. You gotta think that three losing seasons would wear on him, hes banked some good coin, he may want to go the Tom Kelly route and just go back to coaching.

Speaking of coaches, I like Gardy but I am dispointed that he didn't show some spine, when TR fired HIS coaches, Gardy should have said "I'm out of here".

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Isn't this the way the Twins are always built, meaning all the pieces have to fall together, stay away from injuries, have the stars align just right, in order to win?? When was the last time that they had enough talent to be overwhelming favorites going into a season??

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Isn't this the way the Twins are always built, meaning all the pieces have to fall together, stay away from injuries, have the stars align just right, in order to win?? When was the last time that they had enough talent to be overwhelming favorites going into a season??
    I think you're underestimating how much talent the Twins have had in past years, particularly 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2010. Teams don't just blindly stumble into five 90 win seasons in a decade through dumb luck.

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    There is always another possibility. Maybe, despite his public comments, Gardenhire intends to step aside after the 2013 season (step aside as in retire or move to another position with the club). I know that is contrary to everything he has said in public but given his age and health (I keep remembering his brother's heart-related death), it is not inconceivable to me.

If that is not his intention, I still don't know that a losing season means that Gardenhire is gone. There would probably be some public demand for Gardenhire to resign but perhaps not as much as there would be for Ryan to resign. Giving Gardenhire such mediocrity to work with may actually be protecting his job as long as the results are in the mediocre range (losses about 90 or less).

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually suspect that Gardenhire and Ryan have already agreed that this will be his final year, regardless of results. He'll move in to a "consulting" role after this season. I don't think Ryan would have left Gardy twisting in the wind and then not given him a legit MLB roster (and I don't think Gardy would have been so laid back about that happening) if they hadn't already come to an agreement about what's going to happen next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast