Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster & Payroll 2013

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look at the some of the formatting changes that appear on this page. Is this something the viewers would be ok with? At this point, I'm looking to make things better without adding a lot of additional work (it already takes a lot of time). If I made the changes (and use Excel and the snipping tool), I can make it better and save myself a lot of time. Comments are encouraged.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Look at the some of the formatting changes that appear on this page. Is this something the viewers would be ok with? At this point, I'm looking to make things better without adding a lot of additional work (it already takes a lot of time). If I made the changes (and use Excel and the snipping tool), I can make it better and save myself a lot of time. Comments are encouraged.
    I think it looks good...and glad to see Ryan was able to get payroll under 80M. I knew if he tried hard enough, he could do it :-)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Updated with today's additions.

What are you talking about when you say "Payroll under 80MM"? What does that mean? The Twins current Payroll is around 49mil... Yea its higher if you count guys like Morneau and Carrol who they had to pay this year but as of right now if we took this same roster into opening day next year the payroll is about 49mil.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice work, Jeremy. So, does anyone want to venture a guess on how much Terry Ryan spends on free agent starting pitching in 2014/2015? More than he spent on Correia & Pelfrey?

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    I think it looks great, and if its easier for you, so much the better.

thank you for keeping this up to date.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    What are you talking about when you say "Payroll under 80MM"? What does that mean? The Twins current Payroll is around 49mil... Yea its higher if you count guys like Morneau and Carrol who they had to pay this year but as of right now if we took this same roster into opening day next year the payroll is about 49mil.
    I think if you looked at the payroll grid, it would make sense. They've spent just under $80m on players this season.

I think if you looked at the payroll grid, it would make sense. They've spent just under $80m on players this season.
    So, when you see a team like Houston with a payroll of $21M do you just assume their entire motivation is to have the cheapest team possible? Based on your other posts you obviously know plenty about the game. You must understand that a rebuilding team is not going to max payroll.

Maybe it's just that I do this for a living but I find this zealous focus on payroll to be a very parochial viewpoint. The Pirates, As, and Rays have an average payroll of just under $66M. That all by itself should be a glaring indication that the keys to success for a team with leauge average revenue or less is not free agency.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    So, when you see a team like Houston with a payroll of $21M do you just assume their entire motivation is to have the cheapest team possible? Based on your other posts you obviously know plenty about the game. You must understand that a rebuilding team is not going to max payroll.

Maybe it's just that I do this for a living but I find this zealous focus on payroll to be a very parochial viewpoint. The Pirates, As, and Rays have an average payroll of just under $66M. That all by itself should be a glaring indication that the keys to success for a team with leauge average revenue or less is not free agency.
    If you read the post Jeremy was responding to, and then read Jeremy's response again, you'd see that all Jeremy was doing was explaining to that poster why just under 80M was mentioned as opposed to 49M...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    If you read the post Jeremy was responding to, and then read Jeremy's response again, you'd see that all Jeremy was doing was explaining to that poster why just under 80M was mentioned as opposed to 49M...
    My apologies to Jeremy. I replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to your post. I assumed it was meant as sarcasm when you said you were happy to see Ryan got payroll under $80M and that you knew he would find a way to get that done.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 09-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused. Are we good here?

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What you are doing is most valuable. I check it several times per week. Thank you.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks good, Jeremy. I suggest you keep it as manageable as possible for yourself!

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I'm putting the 2013 page to bed. I'll be rolling out the 2014 version (which will looks similar) soon. The "excel pictures" are a little harder to read. They're also not searchable. So it will be back to normal, for the most part.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm putting the 2013 page to bed. I'll be rolling out the 2014 version (which will looks similar) soon. The "excel pictures" are a little harder to read. They're also not searchable. So it will be back to normal, for the most part.
    Whatever format or style you choose, you work is invaluable, and greatly appreciated.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 312 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love the page -- but is there any chance the site's right sidebar could be disabled for it? Lots of good info on the right side of the charts, but it gets obscured unless you scroll each table over... and then you can't see the left side of the chart!

If the right sidebar has to stay, maybe some kind of "mini-scroll" feature like the Baseball-Reference mobile site would be more workable (i.e. the left column(s) stay fixed as you "scroll" right to see more columns).

Either way, it's an awesome data source, and I applaud your efforts!

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Maybe this thread could/should be stickied for a while?

Brock, John, yes/no?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345